14/1/2013 1:39 pm  #1

Crosby and Cagney

I'm looking for anything with Bing Crosby and James Cagney together. I'm a big fan of both men. Can anyone help? Carmela

Peace and Love! 

14/1/2013 2:43 pm  #2

Re: Crosby and Cagney

48blonde wrote:

I'm looking for anything with Bing Crosby and James Cagney together. I'm a big fan of both men. Can anyone help? Carmela

Carmela,  They appeared together in a Command Performance radio show, 30 August 1942, when they did a Vaudeville scene and sang Down By The Old Mill Stream accompanied by the Kay Kyser Orchestra.

I have my doubts if there are any others.

14/1/2013 5:09 pm  #3

Richard- Malcolm sent me a list of when they appeared together. I had James Cagney on the Kraft Music Hall but I can't find it.  I'll get back to you later. Carmela

Peace and Love! 

17/1/2013 5:25 am  #4

Richard here are all the Bing and Cagney interactions[1]-1932- June 26th-Informal Tea, given by Mr. and Mrs. James Gleason.[2]- 1934-Jan.13th-Screen Actors' Guild Ball. [3]-1937-Feb. 25th-KMH.[4&5]-1938-Jan.29-Welcome Home Party for Cagney and a Bithday Party for Nadine, LLoyd Bacon's wife.[6]-1942-Victory Caravan- May 5,6 and 7.[7]-Aug. 30th- Command Performance.[8]-Sept.8th-Cavalcade for Victory. [9]-1944-The Show Goes On[to raise money for 6th war loan].

Peace and Love! 

17/1/2013 7:17 pm  #5

Carmela, 

Your word ''interaction'' is well chosen. Some of these items are private functions. 

Some of the radio shows you quote have the same origins. ''The Bureau of Public Relations'' show of 3 August 1942 and the  ''Command Performance # 30'' of the same date are differently edited versions of the same material. The Command Performance version appeared on a  Spokane LP 32  Der Bingle Volume 5 and is otherwise fairly widely circulated. 

Of the entertainment items, I'm reasonably sure that the KMH broadcast of 1937 has not survived. The songs Bing sang are known but the precise involvement of Cagney is speculative and based on news reviews of the time. Unless someone knows better!

17/1/2013 8:10 pm  #6

Thanks Richard!, You are so knowledgeable!!  Maybe, The person who made me The Kraft Show taped it years ago? In 1937 he had to be around 20 yrs.old. And what recording devise did he use? This is a mystery. I know I have it. I remember listening to it.

Peace and Love! 

04/3/2013 12:27 am  #7

There is a photo of Jimmy, Bing and Bing's Mum floating around. Forget where I saw it.

04/3/2013 3:17 am  #8

Yes, Ron. On one of the Bing Calendars! Cute photo that one! Both Men are young and handsome in that photo! I wish I was there! Carmela

Peace and Love! 

Board footera