31/7/2012 1:21 am  #1

RIP: TONY MARTIN

I had the pleasure of meeting Tony Martin in 1999. He was a class act and always spoke well of Bing.

He was one of the last crooners from the 1930s:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blogspot.com/2012/07/rip-tony-martin.html

RIP...

31/7/2012 9:28 pm  #2

Re: RIP: TONY MARTIN

I was disappointed that Tony couldn't make the Hofstra event in 2002 as he was ill. Always liked his singing. One record I really like is "You and The Night and The Music". It is on a 45rpm (back in Australia) and the other side was a good track too.
Guess there is only Tony Bennett, Vic Damone (retired), Pat Boone lefty. No doubt I have forgotten someone.
Vale.

03/8/2012 11:38 am  #3

There's not many of the "great ones" left. One of the biggest thrills of my life was seeing Tony Martin in concert and shaking his hand and getting his autograph afterwards.

I came along too late so I missed seeing a lot of these stars live or when they were at the top of their game.

03/8/2012 6:35 pm  #4

In Sydney in the 1950's there was a promoter - Lee Gordon - who brought out a lot of the stars. They performed at the old Sydney Stadium (used for boxing/wrestling). The stadium had staged a Jack Johnson/Tommy Burns bout back in 1903 or so. The capacity was about 15,000. They used the boxing ring as a stage and removed the ropes.
Judy Garland, Johnny Ray, Buddy Rich, Louis Armstrong & Gary Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Gene Krupa, Betty Hutton and a lot of others. Bob Hope came and I think it was the first time they used a revolving stage.
So, the seating was the same as at a boxing match. Ringside, stalls and the bleachers, which cost 5 shillings (50 cents).
Ringside probably cost about a Pound or thirty shillings, which was a lot for a young bloke earning about 6 or 7 pounds a week. But, the stadium used to be packed. These days  very snazy venues are used and it costs the earth to see them and to me, they are just not worth the expense.
I was in Reading UK in the 70's. The 'Evening Standard' had a headline in 1976 - BING at the Palladium - all seats 5 pounds. I quickly hightailed it to the Palladium for tickets on opening night and another a couple of nights later. Got front row, to boot, a day or two later we went to Montreal for the Games (you know, that what is taking place now in London). In 1977 went to the opening night and closing night.

Board footera