03/6/2012 12:16 am  #1

Something interesting

Hey everyone. I have foun something interesting on eBay, which is a signed letter to collector by bing Crosby. I am wondering is it real or not. If yes, I would not hesitate to buy it.

Just search bing Crosby letter 1948, and the currently bid is only £10, that's why I am worried about the authenticity. Thanks everyone.

03/6/2012 9:15 am  #2

Re: Something interesting

The link is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1948-Original-Signed-NOT-Reprint-Bing-Crosby-Letter-Collector-/170852495627?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Autographs_CV&hash=item27c79a310b

This was a duplicated letter issued in conjunction with a boxed set of LPs from World Records in the mid-1970s. So it is not a genuine letter from Bing and the 1948 date is wrong too. Sorry to give you the bad news.

03/6/2012 10:41 am  #3

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

The link is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1948-Original-Signed-NOT-Reprint-Bing-Crosby-Letter-Collector-/170852495627?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Autographs_CV&hash=item27c79a310b

This was a duplicated letter issued in conjunction with a boxed set of LPs from World Records in the mid-1970s. So it is not a genuine letter from Bing and the 1948 date is wrong too. Sorry to give you the bad news.

Widely circulated! But I suppose it might just about be possible that this is the original from which copies were made!

As a minor addition to Malcolm's note, Word Records  referred to in the letter was a subsidiary of EMI. That name was only adopted when EMI bought out World Record Club in the late 1960s-early 1970s, (and World Record Club itself had only been founded in 1955/6). So whatever the letter may or may not be it is not from 1948.

There was also an American World Records which was completely different.

The boxed set of records referred to (six LPs or cassettes plus a 'bonus' seventh) was a very nice set covering the 'Decca Years'.

Last edited by Richard Baker (03/6/2012 10:47 am)

03/6/2012 3:29 pm  #4

Thanks for the information, although its wildly circulated. if it is the original letter, how much it could possibility cost? I mean as I see 10 quid is really attracting me a lot.

03/6/2012 5:49 pm  #5

Jonathan22345 wrote:

Thanks for the information, although its wildly circulated. if it is the original letter, how much it could possibility cost? I mean as I see 10 quid is really attracting me a lot.

If this is the generally circulated 'flyer' it is only marginally more interesting than a blank piece of paper.

If it is a genuine original 'master', which seems a little unlikely, it is worth what you might be prepared to pay against any competition that might emerge.

Bing was quite generous in signing things, some of which have genuinely interesting content. 

Personally, I'd buy an interesting record.

09/6/2012 4:00 am  #6

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

If someone had that boxed set of records, but without the original letter enclosure, one might want to buy a copy to complete the set.

The Road to Hong Kong LP has Bing's signature printed on the album cover.  When I first got a copy of the record it cetainly looked to me like it was penned not printed.  Finally I figured out that it wasn't an actual autograph.  One time I saw a fellow selling a copy of the album for over $100 dollars on ebay, because it was autographed by Bing.  I emailed him explaining that every copy has that same signature printed on it.  He was quite grateful for the information.  Soon the price was adjusted down to ten dollars.

Board footera