27/9/2026 9:15 am  #1


Bing's favorite song

Does anyone know which was Bing's favorite song or recording?

We have talked about his Desert Island Discs, but in his life he had declared other songs as his all-time favorites.
I have two songs on my mind that in different sources are referred to as his favorites, but I would like to hear your thoughts first.

 

27/9/2026 9:52 am  #2


Re: Bing's favorite song

Do you mean other people's recordings or his own?

Bing did an interview for 3AW - a Melbourne radio station on 16 June 1969. Although he has also said elsewhere, I can vouch with my own ears that he declared My Isle of Golden Dreams (DLA 1775-A) as being a favourite. He felt he was vocally at his best on that disc. 

Last edited by Aaron Tickner (Yesterday 11:09 am)

 

27/9/2026 1:36 pm  #3


Re: Bing's favorite song

Yes, My Isle of Golden Dreams was the one that I had also in mind as his favorite, yet while I heard again the musical autobiography set he mentioned Star Dust as being his favorite in the intro.

     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 11:18 am  #4


Re: Bing's favorite song

Even though the Musical Autobiography set was scripted, I do believe Bing meant what he said about Star Dust. I'm sure this statement is supported somewhere else. Didn't he mention Star Dust on one of the Parkinson interviews???

Star Dust may well have been Bing's favourite song but that does not mean it was his favourite performance. On the other hand, he felt his performance of My Isle of Golden Dreams was good, but that doesn't mean he liked the song.

 

Yesterday 1:00 pm  #5


Re: Bing's favorite song

Very nice points.
Star Dust is (I read it somewhere) the song that has the more different recordings, it is sung by hundreds of artists and it is indeed a masterpiece.

My Isle of Golden Dream seems as you pointed out to be his favorite of his own recordings, although it is great, it seems an odd choice as an all time favorite.

Of course neither of them was selected for his Dessert Island discs which seems strange. 

Bing's version of Star Dust (although I agree with you Aaron that he must have been talking about the song and his recording) is my favorite, Bing is in fine vocal shape and gives it a sublime treatment. This alongside Louis Armstrong's version must be the best.

Last edited by Pantelis Kavouras (Yesterday 1:02 pm)

     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 2:50 pm  #6


Re: Bing's favorite song

I remember Bing saying Stardust was his favorite. Don't remember what interview I was watching at the time. I know I am one a a very few who does not like the song Stardust. I just never liked the flow of the melody. It just did not do anything for me and I thought Bing sang many other songs much better than he sang Stardust. But hey, I always had different taste from the majority. Anyway, didn't he also mention once liking Ghost Riders in the Sky? He probably had many favorites. Great topic Pantelis!

 

Yesterday 7:43 pm  #7


Re: Bing's favorite song

Glad you liked the thread Carmela!

I think Nathaniel Crosby and not Bing named Ghost Riders in the Sky as his favorite at some point.

     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 11:29 pm  #8


Re: Bing's favorite song

I don't know if Bing Crosby really had a favorite song. Like so many of us, it depended on his mood, etc. I have a lot of favorite songs, but my all-time favorite song Bing never recorded. I think he sang a snippet of it on this radio show - Gershwin's "Someone To Watch Over Me".

 

Board footera

Spread the word about CROSBY FAN WORLD http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com