08/9/2026 12:22 am  #1


What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

This weekend I dug out some of Bing's 1936 recordings for Decca. I am surprised that there are some forgotten gems among those records:



 

 

08/9/2026 12:22 am  #2


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?


     •Thread Starter
 

09/9/2026 10:55 am  #3


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

I'm jumping all over the discography at the moment jotting down songs as possible contenders for ideas I have for future ICC online meetings. I won't devulge as to why my attention was drawn to these two tracks recently. I'm not even sure I'll end up using them but I am certainly taking notes on the instrumentation and how Bing repsonds to it.

Love, You Funny Thing (23 February 1932 with Victor Young leading the ARC Brunswick Orchestra)
and
Let's Try Again (24 April 1932 with Isham Jones and his Orchestra).

Last edited by Aaron Tickner (09/9/2026 10:59 am)

 

09/9/2026 8:09 pm  #4


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

David, I thought "Just One Word of Consolation" was extremely moving and I thought the chorus singers added to the emotion of it. Sometimes I feel chorus singers can have the opposite effect but not here.
I did favour, though your first choice of "Beyond Compare". Listening to it, I was drawn to thinking how skilled Bing was in being both lightly subtle with a lyric but also emotionally involved with a distinct personality shining through. 

 

09/9/2026 8:11 pm  #5


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

Aaron Tickner wrote:

I'm jumping all over the discography at the moment jotting down songs as possible contenders for ideas I have for future ICC online meetings. I won't devulge as to why my attention was drawn to these two tracks recently. I'm not even sure I'll end up using them but I am certainly taking notes on the instrumentation and how Bing repsonds to it.

Love, You Funny Thing (23 February 1932 with Victor Young leading the ARC Brunswick Orchestra)
and
Let's Try Again (24 April 1932 with Isham Jones and his Orchestra).

Now my curiosity is really piqued, Aaron - but I'll be a good lad and not push you over the reasons. 
 

 

09/9/2026 8:36 pm  #6


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

I'll give you a clue, Ian. Carmela left a message on the vibraphone presentation. Shhh, don't tell her but I'm looking in to her suggestion. Not sure when I'll get to it because I have a few others in the pipeline.

 

09/9/2026 9:04 pm  #7


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

My curiosity has now gone nuclear.
Almost time for dinner so I'll have to look at this another time ... 

 

09/9/2026 9:43 pm  #8


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

I was listening to some of Bing's tracks a lot these days, Again (Bing and Peggy duet), Getting to Know You, My Heart Stood Still, The Nearness of You (the recent BCE release), I 'll Be Seeing You, Nevertheless, Once in a While, With Every Breath I Take, plus due to my recent presentation I am also stuck with the Top O The Morning and Emperor Waltz tunes. 

 

09/9/2026 10:25 pm  #9


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

A lovely presentation, Pantelis, I can't blame you for having both films in mind.

He works so well with Peggy Lee, doesn't he? Both had such warm, intimate voices.
What a shame they never made an album together - were they both on Decca at one time before Peggy moved to Capitol - or am I confused?
I know some people rightly complain about it because it doesn't have the original film's leading ladies featuring on the album but at least we have Peg and Bing together on the White Christmas soundtrack LP/Cassette(?)/Mini-Disc(?)CD/Picture Disc/Download .... 
 

 

10/9/2026 7:02 am  #10


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

Yes you are right they both worked for Decca at the same time, but Ian Bing and Peggy have made two albums together for Decca plus singles all of them commercially released and quite well received.

Beside the White Christmas album you mentioned, they both recorded the Road to Bali album, where she replaced Dorothy Lamour.

They also released as single Watermelon Weather" / "The Possibility's There" (1952) and Little Jack Frost Get Lost

Being also fond of their radio recordings there have been compilation albums released of radio tracks from their various shows together.

Peggy was in Capitol before and after her Decca contract that was signed in 1952 an run until 1957. It would have been nice though to see them in a concept album project similar with those he did with Rosie.

 

10/9/2026 9:33 am  #11


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

I'm listening to The Chronological Bing Crosby Volume 36 tonight. 

 

12/9/2026 4:14 pm  #12


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

I've not long listened to Bing singing "Singing in the Rain" and "Young at Heart" and many others, both recorded in 1954 from "The Radio Years" on Crescendo, a double CD set (originally a four LP volume) compilation of his late 1940's to mid 1950's radio shows. Full orchestras sawing away  with strings in pure, magnetic tape clarity and so I would imagine originating from his Chesterfield and General Electric radio shows? 
I think this is my favourite radio period of Bing's mostly due to how wonderful the sound is during this period and then secondly, those lovely, pared down intimate radio programmes he undertook with Rosemary Clooney. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (12/9/2026 4:15 pm)

 

13/9/2026 10:17 am  #13


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

The MCA Premium Masters 1994 release - St. Patrick's Day.

My pick - Isle of Innesfree - according to Bing, a favourite of Barry Fitzgerald's.

 

14/9/2026 9:55 am  #14


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

I listened to the CD of "The Complete Bing Crosby And The Andrews Sisters Complete Decca Recordings" again the other day excellent CD.

 

15/9/2026 3:08 am  #15


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

STEPO wrote:

I listened to the CD of "The Complete Bing Crosby And The Andrews Sisters Complete Decca Recordings" again the other day excellent CD.

That's a great set. Among my favourite CD releases.

 

Yesterday 11:00 am  #16


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

He Leadeth Me (L4997-A) recorded 6 May 1949.

My wife and I received a special blessing at church today for our 25th wedding aniiversary. I usually conduct the choir, but my assistant kicked me off the podium today as he knew I would have just picked hymns to fit the Bible text for the day. The choir wanted to make the day extra special for us by singing some of our favourite hymns. The conductor and the organist conspired and picked this lovely hymn for the choir to sing just before our blessing. They chose it in part because they had done a bit of research and learnt of Bing's recording.

It was cute that they thought they were one up on me as they asked, "Did you know Bing recorded this hymn?" 

How do you answer that without sounding like a "know-it-all"?

 

Yesterday 1:43 pm  #17


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

Happy 25th Wedding Anniversary Aaron!!!
What a beautiful and well planned surprise from your choir. 
Sounds like a very special Sunday, may the Lord bless you and your wife, and I wish you will enjoye many happy returns of the day. 

Another fitting song, less spiritual but incredibly romantic and suitable for the occasion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnpbM0pIJA
 

 

Today 6:38 am  #18


Re: What Bing Are You Currently Listening To?

Pantelis Kavouras wrote:

Happy 25th Wedding Anniversary Aaron!!!
What a beautiful and well planned surprise from your choir. 
Sounds like a very special Sunday, may the Lord bless you and your wife, and I wish you will enjoye many happy returns of the day. 

Another fitting song, less spiritual but incredibly romantic and suitable for the occasion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnpbM0pIJA
 

Thank you kindly, Pantelis, for your well wishes.

You are very kind.

When I was your age, I was a bit precocious and cheeky. I probably would have sent this song to someone on their Silver Wedding Blessing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K1zI6UjdRQ
I think I played it when my father turned 50, and here I am even older now! Precocious? My father would say: more like obnoxious.

 

Board footera

Spread the word about CROSBY FAN WORLD http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com