10/3/2012 4:46 pm  #1

Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings / Fancy Meeting You Here

Amazon UK are listing a CD for release on 9 April which appears to include these two albums plus some unidentified 'bonus' tracks. No tracks are actually named by them as yet - the clue is in the album titles and illustration. No similar listing as yet on Amazon US.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Jazz-Sides-Sings-Meeting/dp/B007AJEYX8/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1331397041&sr=1-2

It is stated to be on the Phoenix Jazz label, but I cannot find anything about them.

I assume that if this is an official release promoted by Bing Crosby Enterprises with a new partner we will soon see something on the Bing Crosby Facebook or 'Home Of Bing Crosby' sites.

Not too certain about the aptness of the title 'The Jazz Sides'.

10/3/2012 5:10 pm  #2

Re: Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings / Fancy Meeting You Here

A very interesting issue. Wonder what the 'bonus' will be.

10/3/2012 5:12 pm  #3

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Jazz-Sides/dp/B0046BZP3G  Sadly it looks like a reissue. "Mack the Knife" is the bonus track I believe.

10/3/2012 5:40 pm  #4

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Sadly it looks like a reissue. "Mack the Knife" is the bonus track I believe.

A rather pointless - and odd - reissue of a CD only itself issued in 2009 and still available. And on a different label - I assume they must be connected.  I have found a number of Phoenix Jazz reissues of original Verve material, but a bit of a puzzle how they might get 'Fancy Meeting You Here'. 

- and there was I thinking we might be getting some hitherto unknown alternate takes complete with revealing studio chatter!

Ah well. Live and wait in hope!

11/3/2012 12:35 am  #5

Hello, Malcolm is right, both are identical with 26 titles. Look at amazon.de for track listing. The German release date is March, 30.

Last edited by Dieter (11/3/2012 12:39 am)

21/3/2012 3:33 am  #6

Still, it is a great pairing of albums -- two of my favorite LPs.  If the rerelease keeps them in circulation, it is a good thing, though a BCE issue of this material might include some surprises in the bonus tracks, new info in the liner notes, and possibly improved sound.

21/3/2012 7:23 am  #7

Yes, a BCE issue could be very interesting indeed if some alternatives and studio chatter could be included.

22/3/2012 5:19 pm  #8

Does BCE own the rights to both of these recordings?  Meaning, they license these recordings to Verve, Bluebird, etc. for release?  Sometimes I am still not certain of how Bing's post-1955 recording situation worked.

"Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings" is one of my all-time favorite Bing albums (I might be alone on this one?), and I would love to hear any outtakes or studio chatter for that one.

Zane Johnson

23/3/2012 12:17 pm  #9

It has been suggested to me that BCE does indeed own the rights to these recordings but I have no way of knowing if that is correct. We know of the existence of alternate takes for the Bregman album.

29/3/2012 12:38 pm  #10

I am completely ignorant about what original album tapes BCE has or has rights to rerelease.  I suppose they could have almost anything after Bing was no longer exclusive with Decca.  But I support the idea of them releasing (or facilitating the release of) any new editions of post-Decca albums they can.

29/3/2012 2:56 pm  #11

I have seen it stated that Bing made it a practice to retain the ultimate rights in all post Decca material. Whether that was the actual outcome in all cases I do not know, though I was once informed that it might be possible that the album 'A Time To Be Jolly'  recorded for Daybreak was an exception.  If so and if the rights to that album are indeed retained elsewhere it is a little puzzling that whoever might own them has not done more to capitalise on them.

I assume however that BCE might still not have total freedom of action as the rights were leased out at various times to different concerns and it might yet be possible that some of those rights remain live and have yet to revert.

For myself I am anxious to hear what might exist on the original tapes, in the way of alternative takes, informative studio chatter, and even, dare one suppose, unknown titles recorded but not included in issues. Unfortunately that might be rather too much to expect as most sessions were pretty well documented.

And I do wish that the four titles from 28 January 1960 were made available in decently engineered versions. They were
The Music Of Home,
The New Ashmoleon Marching Society and Students Conservatory Band,
It's A Good Day
    and
Aloha Means I Love You

Last edited by Richard Baker (29/3/2012 4:53 pm)

Board footera