21/11/2010 3:06 pm  #1

A Bing Crosby Discography

I maintain a Discography at

http://tinyurl.com/BingCrosbyDiscography

My aim in starting it was to list all of Bing's commercial recordings and show the main CDs on which they had been issued. This has expanded and now includes much of the radio material and the CDs and LPs on which it has been made available.

I do not pretend that it is wholly comprehensive - I do not cover the many compilation CDs which endlessly merely recycle the most popular songs or on which Bing's tracks are in the minority, nor do I cover in any comprehensive way the many TV programmes Bing appeared in or his appearances as a guest on radio, and I merely touch on some film soundtracks.

It is the subject of further development and will shortly incorporate the latest in current spate of new issues from Collector's Choice.

28/12/2010 12:01 am  #2

Re: A Bing Crosby Discography

My discography, which can now be reached by clicking on the word 'Discography' on the brown bar at the top of these pages, has just been updated. This covers the recent issues from Collector's Choice and a few others, plus the new information about recording dates and titles that has become available from the notes to those issues.

An amount of extra radio material from the 1950s and 1960s has been added, as has a section on 'V' discs, though in large part I have relied on the work of Wayne Martin for that.

There is in fact a 'glitch' for which I apologise and which I hope will be resolved shortly. Users of 'Google Chrome' browsers might not for the time being be able to view the pages correctly.  Other browers appear to work correctly.

Richard Baker

Later Note: The Glitch now resolved and all pages should display properly. I hope!

22/4/2011 6:10 pm  #3

I have updated the discography (accessed via the link 'A BING CROSBY DISCOGRAPHY' on the crossbar at the head of this page).

The introductory pages have been totally recast. Much of the material has been moved to The Crosby Fan World Home pages. 

The new issues of the last month or two plus the pending issues have been added, and the exclusive MP3 downloads have also been added, as have  many CBS radio tracks. I have removed mention of a number of older less interesting CDs which were merely compilations of the most common tracks and a number of errors, both factual and typographical have been corrected.

A couple of the 'return to introductory page' links have gone wrong, and I am investigating those.

(Later note: The 'return' links now fixed by the ever-helpful Steve Albin, the originator of 'Brian', the software I use for creation and maintenance of the Discography.  Anyone wanting to do anything similar would be well advised to start out with 'Brian'  http://www.jazzdiscography.com/
Steve has many other discographies loaded there, including Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee and other luminaries.)

It would be wise to 'reload' each page, which should all bear April 2011 dates at the top left. If earlier dates are shown, your computer is loading pages from memory.

Last edited by Richard Baker (23/4/2011 11:20 am)

23/4/2011 6:42 am  #4

Looks like a wonderful job and a fantastic reference source. Well done, Richard.

21/11/2011 11:15 am  #5

I have recently updated my discography. It includes 'Through the Years' up to and including the forthcoming Volume 9, and some other issues, but does not yet include 'Bing In Dixieland' or the single 'The Night Before Christmas' as I lack definitive information.

A number of minor amendments have been made, and errors corrected. Many thanks to those who have drawn my attention to some inaccuracies. 

The date at the top left hand of each page should be November 2011. If it reads April 2011, your computer is reading from memory and you should reload the page.

06/12/2011 3:45 pm  #6

Richard, you'd be a multi-millionaire, if the rest of us were compelled to pay you based on the value your discography has been and continues to be for all of the rest of us.  I'm sure many others agree with me about that.

06/12/2011 4:38 pm  #7

Steve Fay wrote:

Richard, you'd be a multi-millionaire, if the rest of us were compelled to pay you based on the value your discography has been and continues to be for all of the rest of us.  I'm sure many others agree with me about that.

Thank you, Steve - though I doubt the quantification inherent in your comment!

22/2/2012 7:26 pm  #8

I would like to "bump" this thread to also publicly thank Richard for his essential Discography.  This discography - especially for myself the "Post Decca Years" and the entire "The Radio Shows" sections - saved me significant time and energy hunting down Bing recordings from these eras on CD (Since the "Chronological"/"Through The Years" series made it so easy for the Brunswick/Decca years).  Thank you very much, Richard.

Zane Johnson

23/2/2012 3:36 pm  #9

zanereed wrote:

I would like to "bump" this thread to also publicly thank Richard for his essential Discography.   - - -- -  Thank you very much, Richard.

Thank you Zane. I merely took masses of original research by others and collated it against my own and some other's collections.  It started as an effort to organise my own collection, no more. Then it just grew.

I have credited others elsewhere -  https://sites.google.com/site/crosbyfanworld/books-and-reference-material
but there are also the sleeve note writers and contributors over many years to 'BING'   from whose research I have gleaned information. 

And I have to say there are many past and present contributors to 'BING' who I can only admire for their original and painstaking research.  And I trust those contributions will continue.

24/2/2012 3:18 am  #10

That Richard may be standing on the shoulders of giants, all those past fans who have helped gather some of the information he compiles in his discography, cannot diminish the value of the work he has done nor the worth of his example of dedication in our community.

Board footera