07/1/2012 9:01 pm  #1

Bing Crosby National Pro Am Photo arm band...maybe?

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out what I have.  My grandfather was a huge golfer and fan, and I found what I am guessing is a photographers arm band/ patch for the Crosby Pro-Am.  I have been searching online and have not been able to find anything, no information, description, not even an image.  Can anyone help me on this, or would someone be able to point me in the right direction?  Here is the description.

It is yellow, and approximately diamond in shape with the left and right sides squared off/straight up and down, and the top and bottom are rounded instead of points.  It is made of felt and the words "BING CROSBY" at top, "PHOTO' in middle and "NATIONAL PRO-AM" at bottom.  Does anyone know what this is and its age?

Thank you very much, and to all a Happy New Year!

08/1/2012 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby National Pro Am Photo arm band...maybe?

Andre wrote:

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out what I have.  My grandfather was a huge golfer and fan, and I found what I am guessing is a photographers arm band/ patch for the Crosby Pro-Am.

Andre - welcome to this board. I suspect that your own suggestion is probably correct but I hope someone might recognise this from your description and give a positive identification.

However it might stir more memories and produce a more definitive answer if you could post a picture. If you have difficulties in doing so yourself, you might be able to email a picture to me so that I can do so on your behalf.  Send direct to me at bakerstonb@gmail.com

Ron - as our 'resident golfing expert' are you able to shed any light?

08/1/2012 7:27 pm  #3

I was living in Reading, Berkshire during most of the 70's.
In May of 1977 I received an envelope from Bing with a pass to the Pro-Am held earlier in the year. Also an arm band which was white and printing in black. (But as Jeremy knows 'it is back in Australia) I think it has a picture of Bing on it and probably the year.
Of course, that was Bing's last Pro-Am that he attended. I had always wanted to get to the Pro-Am but unfortunately it never happened.
Oh, my arm band is paper. Probably just a day pass compared to the one Andre has, which would be of a more permanent product (probably had to be used over 5 days or more), so made of stronger material.
After the happenings in October of 1977, I though how ironic that Bing happened to have those items sent to me.

09/1/2012 10:18 pm  #4

Thank you Richard and Ron.  Richard I will take a photo of the 'arm band', and if I am unable to upload it I will send it your way.  I am really interested to see what this item is, and the history behind it!

All the best!

08/2/2012 10:49 am  #5

Here is a picture of Andre's armband, front and section of the back showing fabric content!
I think we have isolated what it is but more precise information about background and possible date range could be interesting. I imagine the wearer must have been through some sort of accreditation process and that numbers were limited.

Last edited by Richard Baker (14/2/2012 5:42 pm)

09/2/2012 7:53 am  #6

The link doesn't seem to work.

09/2/2012 8:39 am  #7

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

The link doesn't seem to work.

Sorry about that- It does for me in one browser but not in another! I have re-pasted the link and it now works for me in both.  Please let me know if any have problems with this.

12/2/2012 6:54 pm  #8

I had bestowed upon me at the last Leeds meeting 20 Pro-Am programmes - 1961-1980 inclusive - by Malcolm, at a price.
They were heavy and Michael posted them to me here in the U.S. The postage cost 6 times what the programmes cost me.
However, I am still reading through them and thoroughly pleased with them.
The previous year I bought a Bing Santa Claus and Michael posted that for me to my niece. Once again postage dearer than the item.
If I attend another meeting it will be with my hands in my pocket holding onto my wallet.
But, all items have been worth the expense and the pleasure of having them.
I'm going to go through the programmes and photocopy photos of Bruce Devlin, who said he'd like to have them. Bruce sent a testimonial
to me last year which Malcolm kindly let me present to the meeting.
Well, the old Bing pro-am is currently on the TV. Doesn't have the same atmosphere as when it was Bing's tournament, maily because there aren't the screen personalities that were around in the 40's and 50's and 60's.
Head down, swing slow.

14/2/2012 1:14 am  #9

A VP was in the commentary box on Sunday and speaking about the monies raised over the years.
He did mention that it all started with the Crosby event. So nice that Bing was mentioned.

14/2/2012 3:44 pm  #10

Ron Field wrote:

A VP was in the commentary box on Sunday and speaking about the monies raised over the years.
He did mention that it all started with the Crosby event. So nice that Bing was mentioned.

Ron, Bing was mentioned in the program, was it Saturday?, when teams were still making the cut.  Actor/director Clint Eastwood was interviewed about his long association with the tournament, and he remarked about having first been invited as a player by Bing.  That was about all that was said, but at least Bing was being credited as founder of the event.  I'm not sure that happens every year anymore.

14/2/2012 8:49 pm  #11

Didn't see much of Saturday's broadcast as watching a bit of rugby and then yardwork. Saw Clint too but only a snippet and Bing wasn't mentioned when I saw him.
Too much ga-ga about Woods so I surfed the channels and came across the IRB Rugby sevens from Las Vegas. No ga-ga there even though the All Blacks played in the final (and lost).

22/2/2012 9:26 pm  #12

In 'Golf Weekly' i (USA) issue of last Friday, talking about the AT & T pro-am, in an article about the event at Pebble Beach, it said '...some people still regard this event as the Crosby....'.
Wonder if they still have the big picture of Bing in the men's locker room and the statue and Waterford Crystal.

Board footera