04/12/2023 9:07 pm  #1

O Little Town Of Bethlehem

I could have sworn that Bing recorded O Little Town Of Bethlehem for Decca in the 1940s. It seems like he just recorded a short version in for the 1957 album Christmas Sing Around The World With Bing. I really could have sworn he recorded the whole song. Am I going crazy?

Also have you ever sworn you heard a record by somebody but then you find out you were dreaming? LOL

10/12/2023 4:12 am  #2

Re: O Little Town Of Bethlehem

When I think of the title I think of Nat King Cole. Doesn't he sing the whole version? But I know what you mean.

10/12/2023 4:37 am  #3

David Lobosco wrote:

I could have sworn that Bing recorded O Little Town Of Bethlehem for Decca in the 1940s. It seems like he just recorded a short version in for the 1957 album Christmas Sing Around The World With Bing. I really could have sworn he recorded the whole song. Am I going crazy?

Also have you ever sworn you heard a record by somebody but then you find out you were dreaming? LOL

Maybe because he did it so many times in the '50s! He managed to sing it five times that decade on radio and TV shows, according to the online discography. Perry Como recorded a somewhat Bing-like version in the '40s for RCA.

Last edited by tedn (10/12/2023 4:37 am)

20/12/2023 2:15 pm  #4

Thanks for the help! The version I keep finding by Bing is about a minute in length, but I thought I heard a longer version. It could be my brain making up things too!

21/12/2023 12:52 am  #5

I don't have a version that's anything longer than a minute sadly, he seemed to like to include it in carol medleys, but not actually make a full version...

One song that finally got a full version because of Christmas Sing With Bing was Good King Wenceslas, which I am thankful for!

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

21/12/2023 1:38 am  #6

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

One song that finally got a full version because of Christmas Sing With Bing was Good King Wenceslas, which I am thankful for!

Has anyone done a full discography for the eight "Christmas Sing with Bing" shows? There are bits and pieces in the (wonderful) Bing Magazine discography but it seems more based on whether the recordings got a commercial release.

I have to think most if not all of those recordings are in the Crosby vault in high quality, right?

24/12/2023 11:13 am  #7

I’ve sent Christmas greetings to people with Bing’s recording of - The Secret of Christmas.
It is one of my favourite Bing Christmas songs.
This year no TV showing of White Christmas or Miracle on 34th. Street with Fred McMurray.
But then W.C. Is not one of my favourite films - Danny Kaye was over the top with feigning his war injury.
Just under 2 hours to Christmas Day here while New Zealand is in to it.
Greetings one and all.
Wet here in Sydney town.

01/1/2024 8:58 pm  #8

Ron Field wrote:

I’ve sent Christmas greetings to people with Bing’s recording of - The Secret of Christmas.
It is one of my favourite Bing Christmas songs.
This year no TV showing of White Christmas or Miracle on 34th. Street with Fred McMurray.
But then W.C. Is not one of my favourite films - Danny Kaye was over the top with feigning his war injury.
Just under 2 hours to Christmas Day here while New Zealand is in to it.
Greetings one and all.
Wet here in Sydney town.

I've seen Holiday Inn and White Christmas on the tele this season, but Holiday Inn is by far the more superior movie. I don't think Miracle on 34th Street was with Fred MacMurry - I think the gent in it was John Payne. The movie was on here in the states too.

Board footera