26/9/2023 8:22 pm  #1

Bing Crosby’s Christmas Gems - Out 10/27 on Vinyl and CD

Primary Wave in conjunction with Bing’s estate is releasing a new Christmas compilation, with limited edition vinyl for Record Store Day and a wide CD release.

1. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!
2. Just What I Wanted For Christmas
3. O, Little Town Of Bethlehem
4. How Lovely Is Christmas
5. Away In A Manger (with Kathryn Crosby)
6. Good King Wenceslas
7. It’s Christmas Time Again
8. Joy To The World
9. Christmas Island (with Kathryn Crosby)
10. The Secret Of Christmas
11. White World Of Winter
12. Christmas Candles
13. It’s A Marshmallow World (with Ella Fitzgerald)
14. Christmas Star
15. The Night Before Christmas
16. The Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth (with David Bowie)

I have a feeling I know a lot of the sources for these tracks, but there could still be surprises.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

29/9/2023 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby’s Christmas Gems - Out 10/27 on Vinyl and CD

I always hold out hope we will get some new recordings - or better remastering. Anyone know any details about this one?

29/9/2023 9:12 pm  #3

That was an early track listing, two of the songs aren't in the final release (Christmas Candles and It's Christmas Time Again). However, most of the songs come from Bing's radio archives from Kraft, Chesterfield, and the Christmas Sing With Bing shows. Christmas Island and Little Drummer Boy come from TV tracks. There are a few obscure singles in this collection too. The Archives released a good bunch of this material before in a budget CD, but it was never put on streaming and this is the first time a lot of this material has received wide releases not counting some of their original appearances on LPs and singles.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

10/10/2023 7:02 am  #4

Hopefully this will contain the full-length studio recording of "How Lovely is Christmas" from master tape. I've only ever found it issued from vinyl sources, except for the "How Lovely is Christmas" album, which is not the full length version. (Though I think the shorter version may be the way it was recorded, because the longer single sounds like they just dubbed in his earlier "God rest ye, be merry" chorus after the inserted choir section.)

27/10/2023 6:44 am  #5

It does contain the full-length version of "How Lovely is Christmas." That track sounds pretty good, but unfortunately it and "Christmas Star" appear to be sourced from 256kb MP3s -- there's no audio above 16k on either track when I look at them in Cool Edit Pro's "spectral view."  Sigh.

Those are the only two tracks on the disc that are like that, fortunately. The sound is nice overall. It's a nice collection. 

27/10/2023 7:12 pm  #6

The colored vinyl green and red are 2 separate lp's?

28/10/2023 5:32 pm  #7

Blonde56 wrote:

The colored vinyl green and red are 2 separate lp's?

Yes, you can buy either the red or the green vinyl. I believe the green vinyl is only available at Barnes & Noble.

Board footera