23/5/2023 6:19 pm  #1

New 'Bing at the Movies - Vol. 1' release coming next week

The official Crosby social media accounts just put up a post announcing that a new album called "Bing at the Movies - Vol. 1" will be released a week from Friday (June 2).

Their description: "Step into the world of classic Hollywood with Bing Crosby's newest album, Bing At The Movies Volume 1. The album showcases 17 tracks that he recorded for various radio shows and TV specials from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, each one a song from a popular film of the day, or a movie he acted in."

I'm intrigued by the mention of using TV soundtracks -- he worked with some great arrangers on those, including Nelson Riddle.

You can see the cover on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsmAzPZxA4E/

Anybody got the track listing for this release yet?

23/5/2023 11:25 pm  #2

Re: New 'Bing at the Movies - Vol. 1' release coming next week

This looks to be one of the most interesting ones so far.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

24/5/2023 1:09 pm  #3

I'm curious what the song choices are. 

Call me an old man but I miss having them issues on a CD.

24/5/2023 2:09 pm  #4

David Lobosco wrote:

Understandable - though on the other hand, if the lower cost of a digital-only release means we get more music, that's a "win" in my view. I wonder what the comparative economics of CD releases vs. digital-only releases are.

25/5/2023 2:41 pm  #5

tedn wrote:

David Lobosco wrote:

Understandable - though on the other hand, if the lower cost of a digital-only release means we get more music, that's a "win" in my view. I wonder what the comparative economics of CD releases vs. digital-only releases are.

I'm sure it is much more expensive to put it out on CD form. If you do it professionally, I'm sure you need to issue a certain amount of discs, etc.

A lot of my CD collection is CDS that I burnt myself through mp3.

03/6/2023 5:29 am  #6

Anybody listened to this yet? What do you think?

03/6/2023 6:17 am  #7

Another Mosiac set rehash, but they’re tracks that deserve a home on streaming so I can’t complain. The few “new” tracks are Raindrops Keeping Falling On My Head, which is really nice to have, and In the Good Old Summertime, which while it has been released officially on CD, this sounds like it’s from the master tapes.

03/6/2023 5:25 pm  #8

I'm a little disappointed - was hoping they'd gotten more from the TV soundtracks rather than just Mosaic retreads.

Where is "Raindrops" from?

03/6/2023 6:36 pm  #9

It’s from Bing’s Buenos Aires interview from 1970, most of the show has been released before, except for Raindrops.

12/6/2023 11:57 am  #10

Most of the songs have nothing to do with "movies" so not sure the selection is here. All of the songs I have eacept for the Raindrops Are Falling on my head number. There were a lot of better choices they could have used in my opinion.

12/6/2023 5:47 pm  #11

David Lobosco wrote:

Most of the songs have nothing to do with "movies" so not sure the selection is here. All of the songs I have eacept for the Raindrops Are Falling on my head number. There were a lot of better choices they could have used in my opinion.

Agreed. This one is a big disappointment. Feels lazy.

13/6/2023 11:53 am  #12

tedn wrote:

David Lobosco wrote:

Agreed. This one is a big disappointment. Feels lazy.

Yeah and what is with just 8 songs. At least make it the length of an old school album - 12 tracks. 

13/6/2023 5:09 pm  #13

I wonder if the Bing Crosby Enterprises folks read this message board?

Board footera