16/5/2023 2:05 pm  #1

Road To Rio

So I just re-watched the Road To Rio after not seeing it for about seven years. I am amazed at how good of a movie it is/was. I think this one holds up pretty good! I can never pass up the only time Bing and The Andrews Sisters were on screen together too!

17/5/2023 11:05 am  #2

Re: Road To Rio

I agree David it is a great film to watch and I believe the most financially successful of the Road films. It’s a pity Bing and the Andrew’s Sisters didn’t perform together in any other films but at least there’s this one. 
Cheers, Dave D. 

17/5/2023 11:26 am  #3

dgmprod wrote:

I agree David it is a great film to watch and I believe the most financially successful of the Road films. It’s a pity Bing and the Andrew’s Sisters didn’t perform together in any other films but at least there’s this one. 
Cheers, Dave D. 

I'm always left wanting more of Jerry Colonna - I am friends with his son Bob and a few years back he filled me in on some interesting tidbits about the film.

19/5/2023 3:16 am  #4

Yes, Road to Rio is very funny! I haven' t had Chicken Cacciatore in years! 

26/5/2023 10:16 pm  #5

David Lobosco wrote:

dgmprod wrote:

Cheers, Dave D. 

I'm always left wanting more of Jerry Colonna - I am friends with his son Bob and a few years back he filled me in on some interesting tidbits about the film.

Hi David that’s nice you’re friends of Jerry’s son. Any interesting things you can share? Always keen to find out behind the scenes stuff. 

22/6/2023 3:36 am  #6

Jerry Colonna visited Australia in 1944 with Bob Hope's troupe as they took a break from entertaining US troops in the South Pacific. Ten years later he performed with Artie Shaw, Buddy Rich and Ella Fitzgerald in Sydney and Melbourne.

22/6/2023 7:59 am  #7

During the 1950’s Lee Gordon brought out American entertainers who performed at the Sydney Stadium (boxing on Monday nights and wrestling another night) which held about 15,000 people.
A ticket in the bleachers cost 5 shillings - 50 cents.
He brought out a good number of American entertainers and they filled the stadium.
The performers were in the boxing ring.
Bob Hope had a revolving stage put in.
I saw Gary Crosby and Louis Armstrong plus Betty Hutton, Johnny Ray, Gene Krupa,  Artie Shaw,Frank Sinatra,  and a good number more.
The stadium has since been demolished.

10/7/2023 1:09 pm  #8

dgmprod wrote:

David Lobosco wrote:

dgmprod wrote:

Cheers, Dave D. 

Hi David that’s nice you’re friends of Jerry’s son. Any interesting things you can share? Always keen to find out behind the scenes stuff. 

Sorry I am so late responding to the post. For the most part Bob Colonna had nice things to say about Bing. He said Bing was rather quiet and did not need to be the center of attention unlike Bob Hope. Sometimes Bob said Bing seemed sad, and Bob knew in the 1950s about Bing's troubles with his son. He said both Bing and Bob were generous men, and after Jerry Colonna has a stroke in the 1960s, Bing and Bob would visit him or call.

By the way, Jerry Colonna's son suffered a stroke in 2021 and is currently in assisted living.

12/7/2023 2:48 am  #9

Thanks for that information David. Sorry to hear Bob had a stroke. I hope he wasn’t too young not that having a stroke is better at any age. 

13/7/2023 7:01 am  #10

You were fortunate to see all those great performers, Ron. Your comments reminded me of an interview, by Australian presenter Bert Newton in the late ‘70s, with Stan Freberg.

Freberg spoke of touring Australia with Frank Sinatra, sometime in the 1950s.  He said that after a show at ‘Sydney Stadium’ (which, as you mention, was often used for boxing matches), he, Sinatra, the Lord Mayor of Sydney and several other local dignitaries were photographed in the dressing rooms. He thought no more about it.

Years later, re-discovering the photo, his eyes were drawn not to the participants, but to a sign on the wall above their heads - a sign he hadn’t noticed at the time. It said something like, “Fighters must not urinate in the showers.”

14/7/2023 11:55 pm  #11

I did attend a boxing match there one night - a fight between Bronco Johnson and former jockey Billy Lord. Johnson’s arms were always flaying around that he was almost like a helicopter.
Anyway, Bronco won in the first round.
In the toilet after the fight a bloke said - next time they’ll probably put Billy Cook up against him. Cook was a well known Sydney jockey.
Ah! The past!

Board footera