Yesterday 5:33 pm  #1

Mitzi Gaynor died

Mitzi Gaynor died today peacefully in Los Angeles, California, she was 93 years-old
Unfortunately, another Bing Crosby co-star has left us.

Mitzi was one of the last surviving Hollywood Stars. She co-starred with Bing in his last Paramount picture Anything Goes (1956) in which they sung together “You are the Top. They also performed together in Sinatra Timex Special in 1959. Mitzi Gaynor was a huge fan of Bing Crosby she was thrilled to work with him as she revealed in some of her recent interviews.

Mitzi Gaynor became a 20th Century Fox contract played in early 50s. She appeared in 16 films starting in 1950. She co-starred with Betty Grable in My Blue Heaven, with Ethel Merman Donald O’Connor and Marilyn Monroe in There No business Like Show Business, with Gene Kelly in Les Girls, with Frank Sinatra in Joker is Wild etc.

She starred in the classic 1958 musical “South Pacific” who brought her international fame. South Pacific was based on Rogers and Hammerstein best stage musical. And it was a huge commercial and critical success. She sung famously "A Cock-Eyed Optimist" "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" "I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy" in that movie.

Later she appeared in Las Vegas for many years, and she made a series of TV specials. She was famous for her impressive memory and wrote many articles about her time in Hollywood. She was a great entetainer who remain very active. Recently she made a concert with Michael Feinstein. She was a talented singer, actress and dancer with an impressive career that lasted for more than 70 years.

Last edited by Pantelis Kavouras (Yesterday 6:01 pm)

Yesterday 11:44 pm  #2

Re: Mitzi Gaynor died

Oh my goodness! Thank you, Pantelis for posting this. I had no idea. I did know along with some of her contemporaries such as Shirley Jones, Jane Powell and the recently gathered Janis Paige (aged one hundred and one), Ms Gaynor was one of those singers and performers from the golden age of Hollywood's Indian Summer, whose career and talent sustained for those numerous (often latterly, not as appreciated) decades. Her peppy presence but beautifully understated and many talents always left me smiling. I keep meaning to see Les Girls! Did she ever work with Bing (on television, perhaps?) - and I'd love to know where to find some of these articles of her reminiscences.  

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (Yesterday 11:47 pm)

Board footera