12/4/2023 12:11 pm  #1

Favorite Priestly Bing Crosby Movie

In Bing's career, he played a priest three times in movies - what is your favorite "priestly" Bing Crosby movie?

Last edited by Lobosco (12/4/2023 12:11 pm)

What is your favorite "priestly" Bing movie?

12/4/2023 1:24 pm  #2

Re: Favorite Priestly Bing Crosby Movie

Going My Way is a hard choice, Bells Of St. Mary’s is it’s equal in my eyes, but I think I had to give the slight edge to Going My Way for Barry Fitzgerald, even then Ingrid Bergman definitely steps up to the same level as Barry, talk about a team of actors in both movies.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

12/4/2023 2:01 pm  #3

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Going My Way is a hard choice, Bells Of St. Mary’s is it’s equal in my eyes, but I think I had to give the slight edge to Going My Way for Barry Fitzgerald, even then Ingrid Bergman definitely steps up to the same level as Barry, talk about a team of actors in both movies.

It's a hard choice. I am really curious if anyone picks Say One For Me. If Bing wanted to revisit his priest role in the late 1950s, I wish he would have just played an older Father O Malley.

15/4/2023 5:41 pm  #4

I guess I’d have to say Bells of St Mary’s however Going my Way is close behind. I rewatched Say One for me recently and it’s not bad. It has some nice songs and Bing works well with Debbie Reynolds and Robert Wagner. I’ve always found it curious as to why his character isn’t called Father Chuck O’Malley however Ive realised that it was probably due to copyright issues as Paramount and Leo McCarey created the character and as such would not allow 20th Century Fox to use it. 

18/4/2023 12:57 am  #5

‘The Bells of St. Mary’s’ gets the nod from me, too. Bing seems more at ease as Father O’Malley than he was in ‘Going My Way’.

Also, the closing moments of the film, particularly the final close-up of Bing’s face…conveying so many emotions…contain some of his finest acting. For me, it’s one of the most powerful of movie endings, right up there with Chaplin’s ‘City Lights’.

Last edited by Rod Poynter (18/4/2023 12:58 am)

10/5/2023 1:11 am  #6

Anymore votes? Only 8 people voted...

Board footera