15/11/2021 2:11 pm  #1

DECEMBER MOVIE OF THE MONTH - Holiday Inn

For December, let's take a look at 1942's Holiday Inn. It's appropriate. In the next few weeks I will be watching my colorized copy on Blu-ray. Holiday Inn had the best colorization of any movie I have ever seen. So for December, kick your cares, down the stairs, and come to Holiday Inn!

15/11/2021 11:21 pm  #2

Re: DECEMBER MOVIE OF THE MONTH - Holiday Inn

Don't give up on this month's Emperor Waltz yet, I'll be watching this weekend and filing my report after.  I hope we hear from a lot of Bing folks here, they may not talk much on the board, but let's hope they'll make an exception for the movie of the months.  It makes things a lot more fun for everyone, try it. 

I'm having deja-vu as I used  to have to implore, dare I say beg, people to participate on the old Movie of the Month Club on the good old Steven Lewis Bing board years back.   David's kindly taken charge of  the new Movie of the Month Club so let's all participate and have some fun here now.  

16/11/2021 12:53 am  #3

I figured I would announce the movie for the next month on the 15th of every month. There's still a lot of time to talk about The Emperor's Waltz

16/11/2021 2:29 pm  #4

I love my colorized Holiday Inn, it's one I've longed wanted to see happen, even years before the disc was ever made, I would imagine what Holiday Inn would have looked like in color as I watched it in b/w all the years before.   I don't own a blu-ray player but I do own 1 blu-ray disc and that's the colorized version on Blu-ray, I figured 2 years ago I better buy it before they stop making it.   The colorized DVD I've had practically the day it was released.   So still have yet to watch the blu-ray version, maybe one day when I have a weak moment and buy a blu-ray player I'll finally get to it.

02/12/2021 7:26 am  #5

I just rewatched this movie, and it’s always a joy watching this. I watched both this and White Christmas today and it got me into the holiday mood.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

07/12/2021 5:39 pm  #6

I will be watching Holiday Inn this weekend. There's really not much wrong with this movie, if anything. It's in my top five of favorite Bing films too. Anyone else with thoughts on the film?

07/12/2021 9:06 pm  #7

This is a guarantee movie for me every December.   Will be watching and "reporting" on it this month.  It'd be nice to hear other people's thoughts too.  For an interesting listen I'll have the radio version of this movie on my Sounds Like Radio site a little later this month too.

20/12/2021 3:44 am  #8

First off, where'd everybody go? 
Well today was my Holiday Inn movie day.  I listened to the radio version last week on Sounds Like Radio and they cleverly told the whole story without the use of an actor playing Fred Astaire's part.  They just talked about his doings to relate the story.  By the way if you'd like to hear a whole slew of great Christmas shows of all kinds "tune" in to Sounds Like Radio for yourself.   There's a lot of great Christmas shows to choose from and more coming each day from now until Christmas.
https://anchor.fm/your-humble-host
But today was movie day and the beautiful colorized version at that.   The colorizers seemed to be afraid of proudly colorizing it and instead did a faded colorizing job by just weakly colorizing it.   But that problem was easily solved, I just turned the color intensity dial almost all the way up on my TV and it looked beautiful again.  

Watching it today I thought what a snake in the weeds was Fred's character.  I'll say one thing Fred plays a sneaky rat really well.   I thought it strange when Bing & Marjorie pull up in front of the Inn after their Easter Parade song and there's the rat lying on the swing on the porch waiting for them.   He smiles and talks himself into the inn.  What was strange was when Fred is first seen by Bing & Marjorie they both seemed to be on the same side in not welcoming Fred with open arms but 30 seconds after Fred's baloney Marjorie does an about face and scolds Bing for not being sweet and kindly toward Fred the snake.   How did she go from agreeing with Bing one minute and then jumped to the snake's side the next minute? 

Unlike Bing's character in Welcome Stranger & Emperor's Waltz where Bing played a pushy jerk here Bing is Mr. Milquetoast and Fred walks all over him.  My sister used to call Bing "the doormat" when I showed her this movie when she was a kid.  Made me laugh.

Of course this movie was EXTREMELY enjoyable and I love it all and in color it just is really a perfect Bing movie.   If I had to choose between this or White Christmas I'd choose Holiday Inn, there was just nothing wrong with Holiday Inn other than Bing being too nice. 
Perfect movie for December and I've been watching this one every December for as long as I can remember.  In the old days watching it in b/w I would literally imagine what it could have looked like in color, now it's all so good.
Now how about everyone else, you awake out there?

Last edited by Archiefit (20/12/2021 3:52 am)

20/12/2021 5:22 pm  #9

Great review of the film Archiefit! 

Bing had wanted Mary Martin for the role but I believe she was pregnant at the time. As a result, he wasn't too happy with Marjorie Reynolds - but Bing did have final say of his co-stars, and he would star with Reynolds in Dixie in 1943.

Like Lee, I prefer Holiday Inn to White Christmas, but both movies are great. I watched the film a few months ago with my 9 year old daughter, and she said Fred Astaire was the "biggest jerk in the world". My daughter yelled at the screen repeatedly too.

I'll have more thoughts on the movie in the upcoming weeks but any thoughts anyone else?

Last edited by Lobosco (20/12/2021 5:23 pm)

21/12/2021 12:15 am  #10

In both HI and WC, Bing was being used. As stated Fred was ‘a rat’ and Danny was a bludger.
Bing was a bit like that in some movies but in a nicer way.
WC is not one of my favourite films but it gets a run every year for 2 or 3 showings so I guess we should be grateful for that but would like to see HI get more TV time.
Merry Christmas to all and stay safe during these trying times.
Will be a warm one in Aussie land with some thunder and lightning (must play Strauss)

21/12/2021 12:17 am  #11

I'm glad Marjorie was chosen, she was so completely beautiful in this movie.  Her close-ups were beautiful and in color now Wow!   She was one cute girl when she was young.  She later played Riley's wife on the TV version of the Life of Riley with William Bendix and she was no longer the cute little thing she was in H.I.  In fact I didn't recognize her when I first saw the TV show, she had brown hair and her face just wasn't the same.  Well, at least I still look as beautiful as I did in my 20's.https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smug.png

23/12/2021 3:16 pm  #12

I had the opportunity to interview Marjorie Reynolds' daughter Linda (who was named after the character in Holiday Inn) in the 1990s, and she said Bing and Marjorie Reynolds didn't have a close relationship, but the two definitely had chemistry in the movie.

Board footera