15/11/2021 2:11 pm  #1

DECEMBER MOVIE OF THE MONTH - Holiday Inn

For December, let's take a look at 1942's Holiday Inn. It's appropriate. In the next few weeks I will be watching my colorized copy on Blu-ray. Holiday Inn had the best colorization of any movie I have ever seen. So for December, kick your cares, down the stairs, and come to Holiday Inn!

16/11/2021 12:53 am  #2

Re: DECEMBER MOVIE OF THE MONTH - Holiday Inn

I figured I would announce the movie for the next month on the 15th of every month. There's still a lot of time to talk about The Emperor's Waltz

02/12/2021 7:26 am  #3

I just rewatched this movie, and it’s always a joy watching this. I watched both this and White Christmas today and it got me into the holiday mood.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

07/12/2021 5:39 pm  #4

I will be watching Holiday Inn this weekend. There's really not much wrong with this movie, if anything. It's in my top five of favorite Bing films too. Anyone else with thoughts on the film?

20/12/2021 5:22 pm  #5

Great review of the film Archiefit! 

Bing had wanted Mary Martin for the role but I believe she was pregnant at the time. As a result, he wasn't too happy with Marjorie Reynolds - but Bing did have final say of his co-stars, and he would star with Reynolds in Dixie in 1943.

Like Lee, I prefer Holiday Inn to White Christmas, but both movies are great. I watched the film a few months ago with my 9 year old daughter, and she said Fred Astaire was the "biggest jerk in the world". My daughter yelled at the screen repeatedly too.

I'll have more thoughts on the movie in the upcoming weeks but any thoughts anyone else?

Last edited by Lobosco (20/12/2021 5:23 pm)

21/12/2021 12:15 am  #6

In both HI and WC, Bing was being used. As stated Fred was ‘a rat’ and Danny was a bludger.
Bing was a bit like that in some movies but in a nicer way.
WC is not one of my favourite films but it gets a run every year for 2 or 3 showings so I guess we should be grateful for that but would like to see HI get more TV time.
Merry Christmas to all and stay safe during these trying times.
Will be a warm one in Aussie land with some thunder and lightning (must play Strauss)

23/12/2021 3:16 pm  #7

I had the opportunity to interview Marjorie Reynolds' daughter Linda (who was named after the character in Holiday Inn) in the 1990s, and she said Bing and Marjorie Reynolds didn't have a close relationship, but the two definitely had chemistry in the movie.

Board footera