27/7/2019 7:39 pm  #1

BING CROSBY'S DUETS WITH DIXIE LEE, 1936

After the podcast episode I recently recorded about Dixie Lee Crosby's life and career, I've written a brief article in which I discuss the two songs Bing and Dixie recorded together in the summer of 1936. If anyone is interested, the piece is available in my blog, The Vintage Bandstand, here:

http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2019/07/bing-crosbys-duets-with-dixie-lee.html

I hope it will seem interesting to forum members! If you would like to, please let me know what you all think about their two duets.

Best,

AGF

27/7/2019 8:18 pm  #2

Re: BING CROSBY'S DUETS WITH DIXIE LEE, 1936

I like both of the songs they did together and it is a pity they didn’t record quite a few more, however, as we know Dixie wasn’t Interested.
I don’t have an ear like some reviewers seem to have and if Bing had been in Times Square and Dixie on 42nd Street I wouldn’t know, but both tracks I really like.

27/7/2019 8:44 pm  #3

Ron,

I like these two tracks as well. I find them quite charming, and in fact I listen to them quite often. I also like the classy arrangements by Victor Young. Dixie Lee was a good singer in the Ruth Etting mold, and I wish she'd made more recordings. However, I do find the duets with Bing somehow lacking a little in the chemistry that other Bing duets exude. She sounds looser on her solo sides, like "Got Me Doing Things." But as I say in my post, these are worthwhile tracks for the Crosby fan.

19/8/2019 8:06 am  #4

That's a good article Anton. I think the songs are splendid and I like the Bing-Dixie duets. They were released on an Australian Decca and received some favourable reviews. A supplement to the Decca catalogue  for March 1937 promoted the record and added 'Dixie Lee Crosby, who has appeared with her husband in some of his films, here supports him in a record of two hit numbers  from Fred Astaire's new film Swing Time'. The record did not sell well. Two years earlier a Sydney newspaper had commented on the forthcoming movie Redheads On Parade with 'the queen of the redheads is Dixie Lee, wife of Bing Crosby'.

27/8/2019 4:45 am  #5

We must remember that at that time Bing was still trying to establish himself and Dixie was the star. Bing was Mr. Groveny when they were married according to one report.
Those duets with the ladies you mention Bing was well and truly established and 200% full of confidence.
If only they had recorded more duets (like with the Andrew Sisters) but Dixie want to and retired to the bankground.

27/8/2019 5:05 pm  #6

Well by 1936, I do believe that Bing was the bigger star of the two so recording with Bing was more of a marketing tool than to boost his career.

I am 50-50 on the duets. I like The Way You Look Tonight - it is one of my favorite duets Bing did. Yes, Dixie did not have the voice of Peggy Lee or Judy Garland, but it was 1936 when women's vocals sounded different. I do not like "A Fine Romance". I don't think Bing sounded too enthused about this number, and Dixie was very nasal in it. 

Great article as always Anton!

Board footera