24/1/2018 3:14 pm  #1

Bing Magazine finally tipped the scale for the Mosaic set!

I've been mooning over the Mosaic Bing CD set for several years. During those years I've purchase many of Der Bingle's material, but the Mosaic set just seemed a bit out of reach financially.

Then, last weekend I (finally) sat down to read the Winter issue of Bing and was captivated by the interview with Richard Kaplan. I'm an audio producer, but of much (much!) more humble standing than Mr. Kaplan. Reading the details of what it really took to get the audio cleaned up from the original masters and the regard with which the results of that 'cleaned up' audio are held, finally tipped the scale.

Immediately after reading the interview, I popped over to Mosaic's website and placed my order.

It arrived yesterday. I must say, I had no idea how beautifully (and carefully--I don't know if I've ever seen such detail with bubble wrap)  it was packaged. Everything about it is stellar and, to be honest, almost seems under-priced for such a remarkable set.

Well worth every dime, and I am thankful to all at "Bing" for the little 'push'.

03/2/2018 3:06 am  #2

Re: Bing Magazine finally tipped the scale for the Mosaic set!

The Mosaic set is well done, but I have never cared for how Buddy Cole backed Bing on many of the radio recordings. John Scott Trotter was so much more better versed in how to back Bing I thought. However, I like the Mosaic set. I was able to pick up one discounted for $79 on Ebay at one point, and it is a great set to have.

09/2/2018 1:26 pm  #3

I finally bought the Mosaic box set about 3 years ago.  I listened to my Bing/Rosie radio shows and hearing these recordings is like the show never ends whenever they pop up on Media Player.   But the reason I took so long to finally buy is that I much prefer the remix versions of these songs with a full orchestra backing Bing up on his vocals from these radio recordings.  The latest of these being "The New Recordings" with even better stereo sound than the '79 remix orchestrated versions.   Now I'd really like to see all of these '50's and '60's radio recordings from these late '50's to early '60's radio shows remixed with beautiful orchestra just as you get in New Recordings.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Qo55fsl4L._AC_US218_.jpg

09/2/2018 1:58 pm  #4

I've heard about the re-mixed version of many of these recordings. Was that a Ken Barnes project? 

I may have to listen to the "New Recordings" to get a sense of what those sound like.

Thanks, Archiefit!

09/2/2018 3:51 pm  #5

Bingmo wrote:

I've heard about the re-mixed version of many of these recordings. Was that a Ken Barnes project? 

I may have to listen to the "New Recordings" to get a sense of what those sound like.

Thanks, Archiefit!

"Bingmo", Ken Barnes produced orchestral overdubbings of a large number of the CBS radio recordings in the late 1970s, and these were issued in various forms. Ultimately all of the tracks that had been so treated were issued on a three CD (and LP and cassette)  box set named "The 10th Anniversary Collection" in 1987, the 10th anniversary of Bing's death. Some tracks have appeared in other compilations since.

You can find details by browsing through this link http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/CBS.html

The more recent issue "The New Recordings" is very different in treatment.The CBS radio recordings all originally had the small Buddy Cole combo whereas the "New Recordings" material varied in the original musical backing, using recordings that covered a number of years and styles.

The result is that the 1970s treatment of the CBS radio material added an orchestral (and in some cases choral) accompaniment to the original piano/guitar/bass/drums combo, whereas the "New Recordings" treatment overlaid, and to a large extent obscured, the original orchestral parts, creating the stereo spread and adding additional parts to make them more "modern" sounding.  

The results are very different.

09/2/2018 6:23 pm  #6

Richard--

Thank you for the detailed information on this. I didn't realize there was a difference. 

I'll check the link you included.

I always appreciate how much I learn from this board! 

Mo

10/2/2018 1:42 am  #7

That's right, K. Barnes had nothing to do with "New Recordings".   As much as I prefer Ken Barnes' 1979 remix w/orchestra added versions over the original (and rinky dink sounding) original Buddy Cole versions.  I really like much better the "New Recordings" orchestra added and real stereo sound versions that were newly created for the "New Recordings" CD.  It really is a vast improvement over Ken Barnes vast improvement over the Buddy Cole rinky dink mono originals.   Even the clear left and right speaker separation and the slight echo emphasizing Bing's voice is so much better than the 1979 remixes.  Might be the reason is that technology has improved so much since '79, maybe that's why the "New Recordings" sound so good.   

When the Ken Barnes recordings 1st came out I bought them in the double album set:
 https://images.eil.com/large_image/BING_CROSBY_SONGS%2BOF%2BA%2BLIFETIME-458422.jpg

Then when some of the '79 remixes were 1st released on a CD called, originally enough, "Best of" it only contained 28 songs.:

https://img.discogs.com/dkLoMxMhFn1X9GTnzbmmRVM15_w=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-10597282-1512927884-5988.jpeg.jpg

Then several years later a double CD of Ken Barnes '79 remixes came out and this one contained 50 of Barnes' '79 versions:

https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/387/MI0002387349.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

But when the 3 CD set of Barnes' '79 discs came out in the box set called "10th Anniv." that was the best set as it had all 73 or 70 some Barnes versions on it. 
https://images.eil.com/large_image/BING_CROSBY_TENTH%2BANNIVERSARY%2BCOLLECTION-490023.jpg

Finally I could stop buying the remix CD's over and over.  But when "New Recordings" came out 2 or 3 years ago, it was such a much better stereo and orchestrated version of Cole's songs,, I was thrilled.   I wish these same people who did this latest one would do a Volume 2.

Last edited by Richard Baker (10/2/2018 8:05 am)

10/2/2018 1:45 am  #8

What??  My pictures of the other 3 CD releases I described above didn't show up on the message, only the first picture.   Dang, don't know what goes on here, why the board allows one picture but not any more to be posted is anybody's guess. 

Last edited by Archiefit (10/2/2018 1:48 am)

10/2/2018 1:49 am  #9

Where there's a will there's a way, here's the best of the Barnes' '79 songs with 70 some on the 3 CDs contained:
https://img.discogs.com/yPfCHNEEU8b-mez54rnjx69_oWI=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-3665627-1339491065-5342.jpeg.jpg

10/2/2018 1:51 am  #10

And here's a picture of the original '79 album that contained Barnes' remixes.
https://images.eil.com/large_image/BING_CROSBY_SONGS%2BOF%2BA%2BLIFETIME-458422.jpg

Last edited by Archiefit (10/2/2018 1:52 am)

10/2/2018 1:52 am  #11

Hmm, even the one picture didn't work that time, I give up.

10/2/2018 8:09 am  #12

Archiefit wrote:

What??  My pictures of the other 3 CD releases I described above didn't show up on the message, only the first picture.   Dang, don't know what goes on here, why the board allows one picture but not any more to be posted is anybody's guess. 

"Archiefit"  - I have taken the liberty of editing the image URL addresses to correct the problem. The board does not like situations where the address of the image has been "nested" too many times and it is best to select a site that has it's own original image such as Discogs or Amazon. There are also other situations which will not work.  I am uncertain of the precise reason why your attempt to display images was unsuccessful but I did note that all the failed URL addresses were of great length and I would guess that they might have been too long for the placeholder. I do not think that there is any specific limit to the number that you can place in any one posting.

Last edited by Richard Baker (10/2/2018 12:09 pm)

11/2/2018 1:16 am  #13

Thank you very much, Richard for restoring the CD pictures I thought I was posting.  I searched for the pictures of what I was looking for on Google Images, then I "copied and pasted" here.   It turned out to be a crap shoot though on which picture would show up after I hit the "Submit" button.  The pictures I posted DID show up in my message before I hit the submit button though, strangely enough.  That's why it was surprising after hitting submit they disappeared.   Oh well, you fixed the problem, thanks again.   I'll cross my fingers the next time I decide to get creative.

Board footera