24/1/2018 3:14 pm  #1

Bing Magazine finally tipped the scale for the Mosaic set!

I've been mooning over the Mosaic Bing CD set for several years. During those years I've purchase many of Der Bingle's material, but the Mosaic set just seemed a bit out of reach financially.

Then, last weekend I (finally) sat down to read the Winter issue of Bing and was captivated by the interview with Richard Kaplan. I'm an audio producer, but of much (much!) more humble standing than Mr. Kaplan. Reading the details of what it really took to get the audio cleaned up from the original masters and the regard with which the results of that 'cleaned up' audio are held, finally tipped the scale.

Immediately after reading the interview, I popped over to Mosaic's website and placed my order.

It arrived yesterday. I must say, I had no idea how beautifully (and carefully--I don't know if I've ever seen such detail with bubble wrap)  it was packaged. Everything about it is stellar and, to be honest, almost seems under-priced for such a remarkable set.

Well worth every dime, and I am thankful to all at "Bing" for the little 'push'.

03/2/2018 3:06 am  #2

Re: Bing Magazine finally tipped the scale for the Mosaic set!

The Mosaic set is well done, but I have never cared for how Buddy Cole backed Bing on many of the radio recordings. John Scott Trotter was so much more better versed in how to back Bing I thought. However, I like the Mosaic set. I was able to pick up one discounted for $79 on Ebay at one point, and it is a great set to have.

09/2/2018 1:58 pm  #3

I've heard about the re-mixed version of many of these recordings. Was that a Ken Barnes project? 

I may have to listen to the "New Recordings" to get a sense of what those sound like.

Thanks, Archiefit!

09/2/2018 3:51 pm  #4

Bingmo wrote:

I've heard about the re-mixed version of many of these recordings. Was that a Ken Barnes project? 

I may have to listen to the "New Recordings" to get a sense of what those sound like.

Thanks, Archiefit!

"Bingmo", Ken Barnes produced orchestral overdubbings of a large number of the CBS radio recordings in the late 1970s, and these were issued in various forms. Ultimately all of the tracks that had been so treated were issued on a three CD (and LP and cassette)  box set named "The 10th Anniversary Collection" in 1987, the 10th anniversary of Bing's death. Some tracks have appeared in other compilations since.

You can find details by browsing through this link http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/CBS.html

The more recent issue "The New Recordings" is very different in treatment.The CBS radio recordings all originally had the small Buddy Cole combo whereas the "New Recordings" material varied in the original musical backing, using recordings that covered a number of years and styles.

The result is that the 1970s treatment of the CBS radio material added an orchestral (and in some cases choral) accompaniment to the original piano/guitar/bass/drums combo, whereas the "New Recordings" treatment overlaid, and to a large extent obscured, the original orchestral parts, creating the stereo spread and adding additional parts to make them more "modern" sounding.  

The results are very different.

09/2/2018 6:23 pm  #5

Richard--

Thank you for the detailed information on this. I didn't realize there was a difference. 

I'll check the link you included.

I always appreciate how much I learn from this board! 

Mo

10/2/2018 8:09 am  #6

Archiefit wrote:

What??  My pictures of the other 3 CD releases I described above didn't show up on the message, only the first picture.   Dang, don't know what goes on here, why the board allows one picture but not any more to be posted is anybody's guess. 

"Archiefit"  - I have taken the liberty of editing the image URL addresses to correct the problem. The board does not like situations where the address of the image has been "nested" too many times and it is best to select a site that has it's own original image such as Discogs or Amazon. There are also other situations which will not work.  I am uncertain of the precise reason why your attempt to display images was unsuccessful but I did note that all the failed URL addresses were of great length and I would guess that they might have been too long for the placeholder. I do not think that there is any specific limit to the number that you can place in any one posting.

Last edited by Richard Baker (10/2/2018 12:09 pm)

07/3/2018 2:55 am  #7

I was able to find the Tenth Anniversary CDs. I've been listening to them this past week and I'm surprised, actually, at how much I'm enjoying them. It must have been quite an undertaking. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

18/3/2018 11:33 pm  #8

This is a very bad post... it has covered 3 different collections that I have coveted! I think this post was the little push I needed to purchase "Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney - The New Recordings" & "10 Anniversary". 

Sadly, I am a little overwhelmed with Crosby material at the moment, including several new albums from Christmas and so haven't had the chance to really give these the attention they deserve but what I have heard I have liked VERY much. 

Two albums that I recently added to my collection are "New Tricks" and "Some Fine Old Chestnuts", so between the two of those and the "10th Anniversary" set I have been hearing a lot of the music that Bing did with Buddy Cole and I find myself liking it (if not always the electric organ) very much!

Still, I really have shied away from spending the money for the Mosaic box set. However, tonight I lost on a a bid for a box set on Ebay (I only hope to one of you!) and decided I would deprive myself no more! 

My order has been placed and now I just need to wait for the mailman! 

19/3/2018 2:46 am  #9

Ron1972--

Sorry to have started such a 'dangerous' thread for you

Since you're already listening to the '10th Anniversary', I'll be curious to read your thoughts on the Mosaic set. You're listening in the opposite direction to me. I went from the pared down Buddy Cole versions to the much more lush Ken Barnes productions. As I mentioned earlier the '10th Anniversary' set has genuniely surprised me. I find myself listening to it quite a bit, and, truthfully, I was thinking of it as more of a collection piece than something I would enjoy so thoroughly. 

Having said that, the Mosaic set has some real gems ("In a Little Spanish Town" may be my favorite in the entire collection) and I respect the quality of the audio restoration so much that I am equally happy to have it.

Let us know what you think once you're had time to listen to both.

Last edited by Bingmo (19/3/2018 2:47 am)

29/3/2018 3:34 am  #10

Bingmo, so today I came home from work to find the Mosaic box set has come in! The first order of business was to rip these CD's onto my laptop so I can get them on my Mp3 Player, flash drives - etc.!

The second order of business has been to start LISTENING to these songs! My first (and I HAVE to stress first listen)  is 100% positive!

It's funny, the first time I listened to the twofer of "Some Fine Old Chestnuts" and "New Tricks" was a bit of a letdown! I find the accompaniment to be too striped down, the electric organ too jarring. 

However, now, I have listened to many of these songs on the "songbook" CD's and the new deluxe CD's of SFOC and NT and the more I listen to the more I appreciate the intimacy that comes from Bing singing with just a quartet. 

In comparison with the "10th Anniversary" I am sort of thinking of them as alternate takes. One doesn't strike me better than the other, just different. 

The sound quality on the Mosaic set IS stellar I am listening to it over a inexpensive speaker plugged into a laptop and was jarred by the quality. I can only imagine what this would sound like on a quality sound system. 

One question I have is the booklet mentions something like 250 songs recorded by Bing in this fashion for other shows, will those eventually see the light of day?

Sadly, if this is a limited edition of 20,000 and ample stock remains almost a decade later there are too many people missing out! 

29/3/2018 6:31 am  #11

Ron1972 wrote:

One question I have is the booklet mentions something like 250 songs recorded by Bing in this fashion for other shows, will those eventually see the light of day?

Ron, quite a few have appeared as "bonus" tracks on the CDs issued in the years since by BCE/UMG

26/4/2018 12:13 am  #12

Bingmo, since you asked, I have been listening to the CBS Box set constantly and with each listen seem to enjoy it more. I'm a bit surprised to admit that because my first thoughts after first hearing some of Bing's work with Buddy Cole was that it was too sparse and a bit hokey with the electric organ but it has really grown on me. 

The 10th Anniversary collection is great and I still do wish that he had more albums from the 50's that included full orchestra backing but the box set clearly shows why Bing was so big on radio. His voice is welcoming and intimate. He sounds so casual and yet clearly there is a lot of skill and talent on display. 

I was recently having a conversation with someone trying to explain my interest in Crosby and why I found him so appealing and of course the comparisons to Sinatra came up and thinking of these recordings I said that Sinatra was great, his voice grabs, his charisma on full display, and the music and arrangements arrest you. But, removing the arrangements and Sinatra loses something. It's not longer as dynamic or as riveting. Bing on the other hand remains engaging and mesmerizing.

01/1/2019 3:07 pm  #13

Interesting thread, and certainly encourages me to pick this box set up when I can.

01/1/2019 3:19 pm  #14

It was a painful decision because I did not want to spend the money on it when I did, but there is always a fear that it won't be around when you go looking for it, so I made the jump and it really is just a fantastic set and a must own. 

01/1/2019 3:35 pm  #15

I understand completely!  You made the right move!  You're happy!

Board footera