18/8/2018 12:01 pm  #51

Re: Gary Giddins - Volume Two

Thank you for sharing that review, Paul.
However the writer seems to lack the ability to form his/her own conclusions from facts.
Surely the best biographers should present the facts in a fair and balanced way with possible observations about motivations where justified.
However, to reach certain types of conclusion suggests that they are starting out with their own "agenda" and that in turn implies that facts could be presented in a slanted way to prove a case one way or the other. In turn that reduces the value of the work as it will be seen as biased in whatever direction.

As the to views on Sinatra I agree with Frans - the work is large enough in breadth and depth as it is - it is about Bing, not about his many contemporaries or "rivals". But in any event, during the years in question (up to 1946) was Sinatra really such a "threat". He was vastly popular but arguably with a younger, possibly mainly female following and had not yet developed the more "family" based following that Bing had acquired. I hasten to add that I was a little too young at the time to remember (!) but certainly get that impression from contemporary accounts.

18/8/2018 2:00 pm  #52

frans wrote:

- What a comforting thought it is to know that reviews, however well-voiced,  are just the opinion of  o n e  person.

And that is exactly how ALL reviews should be viewed by any one person no matter their alleged "status" regarding the subject.

I wish more people looked at reviews in that light as opposed to being "The Word". http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

18/8/2018 6:52 pm  #53

Nice to see you agree, Paul. I've already seen quite a number of reviews on the biography; many of which are posted on Gary Giddins' Facebook page. It makes me wonder how many review copies have been sent out. Keeping in mind that all these reviews are the opinion of one keeps reading them interesting without annoyance creeping in.

Last edited by frans (18/8/2018 6:52 pm)

19/8/2018 4:50 pm  #54

I agree that no reviews of anything should be read as "The Word," but simply as the opinion of the writer, however well or badly informed he or she is. When I read a review, I try to do it with that thought in mind, even if it isn't always easy or even possible to do so. In any case, when I am reading a review, what I am interested in seeing is whether the writer looks at the subject with a critical eye, whether he or she is discerning the positive from the negative. After all, that is the original Greek meaning of the word "criticism": to create a system of positive and negative values regarding an issue.

19/8/2018 8:28 pm  #55

A review is always in the eye of the beholder.
When I was employed in the Theatre business a review would appear in 3 or 4 newspapers of the latest release of a film.
Sometimes one wondered if you were reading a review of the same film as they were so contrasting.
Best to skip the reviews as we will like one piece better than another and disagree with someone else.
Too bad it has taken so long.
Imagine the old serials at the movies - come back in 20 years to see what happened to The Lone Ranger, did Pauline really get run over by a train, etc

19/10/2018 12:50 pm  #56

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

19/10/2018 1:01 pm  #57

Paul: Thank you so much for finding and sharing that excellent review though I disagree with him on one point - 736 pages is not too long when Gary Giddins is the biographer and Bing Crosby is the subject! Can't wait for October 30th!!!

Board footera