04/12/2022 10:12 pm  #1

White Christmas - December 25, 1941

Does anyone perhaps have a better copy of Bing introducing "White Christmas" on his Christmas Day radio show of 1941. I posted a very very poor recording to my You Tube page, and I would love to have a better copy!

Last edited by Lobosco (04/12/2022 10:14 pm)

04/12/2022 10:59 pm  #2

Re: White Christmas - December 25, 1941

Unless a better quality acetate exists out there, I think yours is about the best quality that we’ve seen, with the one Malcolm put out for the Lost Media Wiki being of a similar quality, and the clip of it licensed by the family for CBS News sounding about the same. I’m just happy it exists in some form.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

05/12/2022 3:55 pm  #3

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Unless a better quality acetate exists out there, I think yours is about the best quality that we’ve seen, with the one Malcolm put out for the Lost Media Wiki being of a similar quality, and the clip of it licensed by the family for CBS News sounding about the same. I’m just happy it exists in some form.

With all of the radio material and shows of Bing's that survived, I am surprised this is in such poor quality.

05/12/2022 10:49 pm  #4

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

With all of the radio material and shows of Bing's that survived, I am surprised this is in such poor quality.

I am as well, it really makes you wonder just exactly exists out there of the Kraft shows and what’s fallen to the wayside.

06/12/2022 2:13 am  #5

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I am as well, it really makes you wonder just exactly exists out there of the Kraft shows and what’s fallen to the wayside.

Maybe it had something to do with the war that we just entered a few weeks before that.

06/12/2022 2:14 am  #6

By the way, here is the best copy I could find:

06/12/2022 6:20 am  #7

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

Maybe it had something to do with the war that we just entered a few weeks before that.

That helped along with the 1943 Crosby house fire destroyed his personal copies of the shows up until that point. If I’m remembering correctly, another guy from the Trotter orchestra had kept a lot of Kraft transcriptions in storage at NBC, then he went off to fight, and the discs were vacated to provide more storage space.

10/12/2022 11:39 pm  #8

Although the the sound quality is poor, aren't we fortunate to have it and the other recordings from Bing's (and other artists') radio shows. When this one was recorded, was it apparent that 'White Christmas' was going to be such a popular song?

12/12/2022 12:10 am  #9

Archiefit wrote:

Well, my Bing records (notes and lists) tell me I have this recording BUT I don't know where to put my hands on it unless I do a Bing search thru all my radio Bing CDs.   You know the saying, "if you can't find it you don't have it" how true.

If you can find a better copy of it, I will give you an old Davy Crockett hat. LOL

12/12/2022 3:39 pm  #10

Archiefit wrote:

Some day when I muster the energy I'll search thru my  Bing radio show CDs much the same way I used to search thru rows of albums, one by one, a fast look then on to the next.  It's somewhere in those CD holders.  One of these days I need to number each of the Bing CDs write down each one's contents and have that on my computer so I can easily get to a particular show I want with a simple search.  I've been thinking of doing this for years now. 

Goodness - how do you find anything. What I do for the CDs I burn is make a sort of CD cover with the info on it. I used to just keep it in a big book, but then I lost the book! 

13/12/2022 4:03 pm  #11

Archiefit wrote:

Well, things aren't that bad here, I do write on each CD the contents.   And I've even lumped the holiday Bing related radio show CDs together (Halloween, St. Patty, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) BUT I still need to number and log each of them in so I can find exactly where a particular show is without thumbing thru them all.  Let's say I want the April 28, '48 show, I have no way of getting to it other than look thru all the Bing radio show CDs.   This is why I need to assign each CD a number and record the contents in a log on me computer.   Maybe I'll make this a project to do for next year.

I need better organization as well. If I had to pick a part of Bing Crosby's career that I am lacking on collecting, it is his complete radio shows. I need to work on that in the new year as well!

Board footera