26/6/2022 1:17 pm  #1

Margaret Whiting - True Love

Here is a cover version of Bing and Grace Kelly's "True Love". Bing recorded it for Capitol, but so did Margaret Whiting. Whiting's version was from June 6, 1956...

28/6/2022 8:01 pm  #2

Re: Margaret Whiting - True Love

Elton John and Kiki Dee did a nice version too!

29/6/2022 2:53 am  #3

Blonde56 wrote:

Elton John and Kiki Dee did a nice version too!

I don't think I ever heard that version!

30/6/2022 12:06 am  #4

Margaret was a nice lady.
Met her the Hofstra gathering. Also had a chat with Frank Sinatra Jnr. And a few others including Kathryn and Howard and I also did a presentation.

30/6/2022 2:34 am  #5

Ron Field wrote:

Margaret was a nice lady.
Met her the Hofstra gathering. Also had a chat with Frank Sinatra Jnr. And a few others including Kathryn and Howard and I also did a presentation.

My biggest Bing regret is that I did not make it up to Hofstra. I really wish I would have gone there.

05/7/2022 5:37 am  #6

I was not aware of Margaret Whiting's contemporary 1956 version of TRUE LOVE.Like most of her records, she's a pro,an already OLD pro.In 1957,Elvis Presley also recorded this fine (Cole Porter) penned song.It's also done well,as well putting his own (then new) vocal style.Perhaps adding a slight bit of drama in a still mello mood? This would turn out to be the only Cole Porter tune that Presley would ever record,& speculation had it that Porter himself did not like him.Elvis was (then) a young upstart anyway.It's also kind of sad .Yet Porter already HAD already made it years before,and getting older,as it's problems.It's not hard to figure that Bing & Frank Sinatra HAD defined MOST of Cole's songs.You CAN consider the 'Hight Society' LP the last of Porter's GREAT soundtracks-& Bing (with Grace Kelly) on TRUE LOVE,the HIT,the original model for later versions,including Elvis's re-working.

06/7/2022 2:05 am  #7

Colin Bratkovich wrote:

I was not aware of Margaret Whiting's contemporary 1956 version of TRUE LOVE.Like most of her records, she's a pro,an already OLD pro.In 1957,Elvis Presley also recorded this fine (Cole Porter) penned song.It's also done well,as well putting his own (then new) vocal style.Perhaps adding a slight bit of drama in a still mello mood? This would turn out to be the only Cole Porter tune that Presley would ever record,& speculation had it that Porter himself did not like him.Elvis was (then) a young upstart anyway.It's also kind of sad .Yet Porter already HAD already made it years before,and getting older,as it's problems.It's not hard to figure that Bing & Frank Sinatra HAD defined MOST of Cole's songs.You CAN consider the 'Hight Society' LP the last of Porter's GREAT soundtracks-& Bing (with Grace Kelly) on TRUE LOVE,the HIT,the original model for later versions,including Elvis's re-working.

Well said!

31/7/2022 5:44 am  #8

I can't recall hearing any record of 'True love' other than the duet by Bing and Grace, so thank you David. Gee, it's almost twenty years since that wonderful Hofstra conference.

Board footera