08/6/2022 10:48 pm  #1

A Musical Autobiography

I quite like the re-recordings on the album, and I know most of you have the sets from SEPIA containing the re-recordings, but I just discovered something nice. UMe put the full Musical Autobiography up for purchase and streaming in the US!

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

09/6/2022 2:40 am  #2

Re: A Musical Autobiography

It was through streaming on things like Spotify or Apple, sorry for not specifying. I just haven’t been in much of a Bing mood lately, however I’ve still been keeping up as best as I could!

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

11/8/2022 6:51 pm  #3

I only jump on the board occasionally to see if there is something new here that has not hit Facebook and what a nice surprise to find this post. Listening to this now and even though I have all the Through the Years.. I am tempted to buy this!

17/8/2022 8:24 pm  #4

Yes, I love the intimate feel of this work (I have the 1970's yellow cover LP re-issue). Bing's friendly narration between tracks is a treat. He's always such a beautiful study in laid back affability and the sound of that golden throat being so appealing even when speaking. It did give me a surprise on first listening to the set when partway through, Buddy Cole was jettisoned and the originals moved in. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (17/8/2022 10:17 pm)

22/8/2022 2:35 pm  #5

I have Amazon Music and it is listed there for download as well.

22/8/2022 10:59 pm  #6

Wow! That would be some download, Ben!
I subscribe monthly to a single Amazon "Alexa" online auto play device, thingy. A previous Christmas present. I'll test her by shouting its whole album title. Failing that I'll shout individual tracks for her to ponder. Failing that I'll just slap the LP back on. Failing that, I'll go out and get a life.
I also have it on CD - but without the case. My old record shop boss gave me the four CDs to me years ago, after some kind member of  the public had stolen the case from his racks. So, there we have it - Bing still considered worth a shoplift!

Is there such a thing as owning too many formats or versions for a single work?

22/8/2022 11:35 pm  #7

Ah! A comforting comrade in arms! Thanks, Archiefit. My dear departed paternal grandfather, also an admirer of Bing's (we used to swap records) once informed me in 1987 that he thought I now had, "enough records, now". Oh Grandad, if only you could see me and my collection, now!

Funnily enough, this was the same year I purchased my yellow vinyl LP edition of the "Musical Autobiography". Five years later, I was working for the afore mentioned record store owner, in the same shop.
As Bing and Fred later duetted, "Gee, how lucky can you get?".

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (22/8/2022 11:36 pm)

22/8/2022 11:46 pm  #8

It was VERY nice. Although I must admit, when he borrowed it,  I thought the Musical Autobiography LP box set would perhaps overwhelm him, with its five (?) discs. But he was well retired at the time and I think over just a couple of days or so, ploughed through it all, enjoying Bing's narration of each track. He was only seven years younger than Bing.

06/9/2022 1:29 pm  #9

Ron1972 wrote:

I only jump on the board occasionally to see if there is something new here that has not hit Facebook and what a nice surprise to find this post. Listening to this now and even though I have all the Through the Years.. I am tempted to buy this!

As an update I have a YouTube premium account so was able to listen to the whole collection there and even though I have I think the majority of these tracks from the "Through the Years" collection I loved Bing's narration so much I bought the digital download off of Amazon. 

The world of streaming is nice but there are times where I find something that was ONCE available is pulled and is NO LONGER available and so why take the chance? 

Board footera