06/1/2022 5:43 am  #1

Time To Start The New Year Right With Our Guy & A Special Guest

Let's start the new year in style with Bing as he welcomes our favorite cowboy on Sounds Like Radio Hopalong Cassidy!   Hoppy and Chiquita Banana girl Monica Lewis are the guests on the Bing Crosby Show from January 2, 1952.  This is a tape from my own collection and is a big improvement on what's out there on the interwebs.   So listen in style with Your Humble Host to Volume 75 from the Vast Library of Sound.   As a bonus you can sing along with Monica as she'll sing her favorite banana song in today's show!   It's all free and it's right here:
https://anchor.fm/your-humble-host

https://d3t3ozftmdmh3i.cloudfront.net/production/podcast_uploaded_episode400/9045149/9045149-1641432591385-ab378780f3be5.jpg

Last edited by Archiefit (06/1/2022 5:46 am)

10/3/2022 6:06 pm  #2

Re: Time To Start The New Year Right With Our Guy & A Special Guest

Archiefit wrote:

Let's start the new year in style with Bing as he welcomes our favorite cowboy on Sounds Like Radio Hopalong Cassidy!   Hoppy and Chiquita Banana girl Monica Lewis are the guests on the Bing Crosby Show from January 2, 1952.  This is a tape from my own collection and is a big improvement on what's out there on the interwebs.   So listen in style with Your Humble Host to Volume 75 from the Vast Library of Sound.   As a bonus you can sing along with Monica as she'll sing her favorite banana song in today's show!   It's all free and it's right here:

https://d3t3ozftmdmh3i.cloudfront.net/production/podcast_uploaded_episode400/9045149/9045149-1641432591385-ab378780f3be5.jpg

Archiefit,
I'm just listening to your above linked programme and am enjoying it thoroughly. Loving your links and music. You really are such an engaging presenter, sir. A natural radio voice, smooth but also with a lovely "folksy" charm. Magical though the song is, it was great to hear Judy Garland singing something on the radio other than "Over the Rainbow". As I recognised Bert Kaempfert's, "Now and Forever" and "Africaan Beat" as some your incidental music, do I also detect a mutual fan, there? I have also just recently ended listening to your Library of Sound (Vol 22) edition of the 7/27/56 Bing Crosby Radio Show with son, Lindsay as a lovely sounding and charming guest. Super singing voice. Loved the father and son interplay. You asked on another thread in a kind reply if I had any requests for a future programme of yours. If I may, I do actually have one which springs to mind. It's the little heard or re-released 1960 recording of Bing singing a very snappy version of Peggy Lee's "It's a Good Day" and the musical arranger is  Bob Thompson. I'm very familiar with Bing's earlier radio recording of this song and already have it featured on at least three radio CD/LP compilations of his. Keep it up, Archiefit! 

10/3/2022 7:13 pm  #3

Sorry!
You must have been wondering what I was blethering on about!
I clicked on the general link and then confused myself by clicking on the first show at the top of the page.
I need new spectacles - or attention deficit pills!

11/3/2022 12:45 am  #4

Great to hear nice comments on the shows, they are truly appreciated.   Right now my only judge is me as I do the shows and include music I'd like to hear or I'd like others to hear who may never have heard these artists or songs before.   My only way of judging the shows is when I listen back and see if I enjoyed listening myself.   So far I've liked the shows though I suppose I am a forgiving critic.  That's why it's really nice to hear someone else's reactions very appreciated.   Thank you so much for these words.

As for understanding what you were talking about, don't worry, I did.  I assume you were referring to the Judy Garland song in the latest Sounds Like Radio Volume 91 show.    Now that version of her singing "A Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow" is my all time favorite Judy version, it came directly from a Bing Crosby radio show from 1952 when Judy subbed for Bing when his wife became ill.   On an earlier Sounds Like Radio show (Volume 34) I played Judy's official Decca record version but it doesn't really come close to that live radio version she did.   Really was a knockout, esp. as it was the first time I heard that song and as it went along nice and slow and tender the first 1/2 then pow the band roars and so does Judy.  I was totally surprised as it really went into rousing fun jumpy song after being lulled into thinking it was a quiet little song.   I get excited just thinking about it as I type.  She also recorded it again in either the late '50's or early '60's (that version I have not played on my show) but that version also is nowhere near hers from the Bing show nor is it any better than the Decca record.   The sound quality was great though, just that free spirit was lacking.   Maybe by then it was beaten out of Judy, I have always preferred her earlier stuff on Decca when she still sounded sweet and seemingly innocent.  Instead of the excellent sounding stereo records she later made, sound quality was great but Judy's verve and even her voice  was gone.

As for the show my starting message above was referring to it WAS a new years show I did and posted at new year time.   Sorry if you were looking for it.   But as with all of my holiday related shows I take them down after a couple weeks past the particular holiday.   I have always saved holiday related shows for the correct holiday time in my own private listening all these years so I play them now the same way only at holiday time.  Hearing a holiday show months after the holiday is passed just ain't right.  Hearing it at the current holiday time makes it at least seem live and of the now.  Least that's my theory.   {Worst offender of this is the Bing internet radio site, as they are STILL playing Christmas music!!   No wonder the average sap thinks of Bing as only good for White Christmas.  Even the main Bing radio website is giving off that impression.}   But I'll bring back the New Year show again with Bing and Hoplong Cassidy this coming new year. 

Yes, you're right that was Bert Kaempfert, give that man a prize.  Over the years I've collected a lot of different classic pop instrumentals.   I like having them on my computer too when set to random play it will mix them with vocals so as in the old days an instrumental will play after every 2 or 3 vocal songs.   That was the way radio used to be in the '60's and early '70's.   I still am always on the lookout for any great instrumental songs I don't have.  Ever since I was a kid I've picked up on background music used in TV shows you may recognize some classic TV background music too on Sounds Like Radio as I use them as well as regular instrumentals.   Classic Hanna Barbera cartoons, My 3 Sons, Jackie Gleason show "blackout skit" music, many different TV show background music you'll hear pop up at times.  Most people don't even know or really care what it is.   Some people really notice it others don't give it a second thought.  I know I've talked to people and most don't even notice it.

As for a 1960 "It's A Good Day" now you've presented me with a challenge.  I just spent 20 minutes looking in all the most likely suspect places where I keep Bing CDs.   I still have some more to check so I haven't given up.   I'll look around.   If you happen to know where it may have appeared either on an album or a CD that would be a big clue.   Now I can't even find a couple of CDs I know I had, driving me nuts.

Sorry to go on so long, I've had a very trying day, believe it or not.   My refrigerator broke and it's going to take a week for them to come out.  Bought a tiny fridge in the mean time, but it's too tiny to hold much more than a 1/2 gallon.   Last night I had some lovely slightly rancid cole slaw.  This morning some funky tasting almond milk.   Mmm.  

Last edited by Archiefit (11/3/2022 1:05 am)

11/3/2022 1:19 am  #5

Hallelujah, I found it.  Now I can relax.  Yes, I'll play it in a future show, I'll let you know when it's coming.

11/3/2022 2:18 am  #6

Archiefit wrote:

Hallelujah, I found it.  Now I can relax.  Yes, I'll play it in a future show, I'll let you know when it's coming.

Oh WOW!!! Thank you so much, Archie fit. That's wonderful of you!
I will respond properly to your two messages very soon.
I'm currently searching some background incidental instrumental music suggestions for your show.
When ready, would it be OK to notify you of them on here - will this still be within the forum rules?
Or if you prefer, I can send you a private message?
If it's OK with forum the board, I don't mind either way. 
I ask because I'm a new boy in town. 

11/3/2022 3:16 am  #7

David's in charge around these parts now.  But it's fine either way with me.   Maybe David would prefer you "private message" me. 

11/3/2022 3:19 am  #8

Archiefit wrote:

David's in charge around these parts now.  But it's fine either way with me.   Maybe David would prefer you "private message" me. 

That's fine then, Archiefit. That's what I'll do.
Let me see if it works.

11/3/2022 1:55 pm  #9

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Archiefit wrote:

That's fine then, Archiefit. That's what I'll do.
Let me see if it works.

I think I sent a you "testing" Private Message a few hours ago, Archiefit but my IT abilities are minimal to say the least. Whenever you have the time (I fully appreciate your current domestic travails) would you be able to let me know (on this thread) if you've received it - and we'll go from there? Refrigerator wise, I hope things are holding up!

11/3/2022 4:01 pm  #10

Yes, I got your private message and responded to you that I got it.  Success.

12/3/2022 4:34 am  #11

Archiefit wrote:

Great to hear nice comments on the shows, they are truly appreciated.   Right now my only judge is me as I do the shows and include music I'd like to hear or I'd like others to hear who may never have heard these artists or songs before.   My only way of judging the shows is when I listen back and see if I enjoyed listening myself.   So far I've liked the shows though I suppose I am a forgiving critic.  That's why it's really nice to hear someone else's reactions very appreciated.   Thank you so much for these words.

As for understanding what you were talking about, don't worry, I did.  I assume you were referring to the Judy Garland song in the latest Sounds Like Radio Volume 91 show.    Now that version of her singing "A Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow" is my all time favorite Judy version, it came directly from a Bing Crosby radio show from 1952 when Judy subbed for Bing when his wife became ill.   On an earlier Sounds Like Radio show (Volume 34) I played Judy's official Decca record version but it doesn't really come close to that live radio version she did.   Really was a knockout, esp. as it was the first time I heard that song and as it went along nice and slow and tender the first 1/2 then pow the band roars and so does Judy.  I was totally surprised as it really went into rousing fun jumpy song after being lulled into thinking it was a quiet little song.   I get excited just thinking about it as I type.  She also recorded it again in either the late '50's or early '60's (that version I have not played on my show) but that version also is nowhere near hers from the Bing show nor is it any better than the Decca record.   The sound quality was great though, just that free spirit was lacking.   Maybe by then it was beaten out of Judy, I have always preferred her earlier stuff on Decca when she still sounded sweet and seemingly innocent.  Instead of the excellent sounding stereo records she later made, sound quality was great but Judy's verve and even her voice  was gone.

As for the show my starting message above was referring to it WAS a new years show I did and posted at new year time.   Sorry if you were looking for it.   But as with all of my holiday related shows I take them down after a couple weeks past the particular holiday.   I have always saved holiday related shows for the correct holiday time in my own private listening all these years so I play them now the same way only at holiday time.  Hearing a holiday show months after the holiday is passed just ain't right.  Hearing it at the current holiday time makes it at least seem live and of the now.  Least that's my theory.   {Worst offender of this is the Bing internet radio site, as they are STILL playing Christmas music!!   No wonder the average sap thinks of Bing as only good for White Christmas.  Even the main Bing radio website is giving off that impression.}   But I'll bring back the New Year show again with Bing and Hoplong Cassidy this coming new year. 

Yes, you're right that was Bert Kaempfert, give that man a prize.  Over the years I've collected a lot of different classic pop instrumentals.   I like having them on my computer too when set to random play it will mix them with vocals so as in the old days an instrumental will play after every 2 or 3 vocal songs.   That was the way radio used to be in the '60's and early '70's.   I still am always on the lookout for any great instrumental songs I don't have.  Ever since I was a kid I've picked up on background music used in TV shows you may recognize some classic TV background music too on Sounds Like Radio as I use them as well as regular instrumentals.   Classic Hanna Barbera cartoons, My 3 Sons, Jackie Gleason show "blackout skit" music, many different TV show background music you'll hear pop up at times.  Most people don't even know or really care what it is.   Some people really notice it others don't give it a second thought.  I know I've talked to people and most don't even notice it.

As for a 1960 "It's A Good Day" now you've presented me with a challenge.  I just spent 20 minutes looking in all the most likely suspect places where I keep Bing CDs.   I still have some more to check so I haven't given up.   I'll look around.   If you happen to know where it may have appeared either on an album or a CD that would be a big clue.   Now I can't even find a couple of CDs I know I had, driving me nuts.

Sorry to go on so long, I've had a very trying day, believe it or not.   My refrigerator broke and it's going to take a week for them to come out.  Bought a tiny fridge in the mean time, but it's too tiny to hold much more than a 1/2 gallon.   Last night I had some lovely slightly rancid cole slaw.  This morning some funky tasting almond milk.   Mmm.  

It's my continuing pleasure, Archiefit.

I also enjoy your researched information that you relay in your natural conversational manner. It's terrific to learn as these things for the first time and while being so entertained. It's the first time I'd heard Judy singing that particular song ("A Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow") and it certainly sounds for this first time I hit upon the best version. She was such a unique and affecting performer and entertainer. Yes, her voice did go through a huge number of changes during her short life, didn't it? There seemed to huge dips in its power and range throughout the 1960's but as with Bing, I can enjoy her doing just about anything. I've yet to find anything of hers I actually dislike. 

I feel precisely the same over Christmas songs being easily available and okayed outside of the season. I'm not superstitious in any capacity but as with you, it seriously riles - and I'm someone who so enjoys the festive season. It seems similar to how I  spotted certain shops' Christmas decorations appearing last year at the end of October

As with you, Archiefit - I'm a huge fan of "Pop" instrumentals - and also the UK's Light Music equivalent which was so popular, here during the 1930's to sometime during the 1960's. So much so that even until  after the latter half of that decade, BBC Radio had a whole station  named after it - "The Light Programme" which was then renamed "Radio 2".

Never apologise for "going on" for "so long". My family claims I have degrees in it! It's always interesting to read what you have to say - and how you have a radio programme where Bing and Bert can swing in close contentment. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (05/4/2022 9:10 pm)

13/3/2022 7:41 am  #12

Hi Archiefit,
Just to give you notice that I privately messaged some instrumental music samples as promised. I only write just in case you missed them and didn't think I'd followed through on my promise. I don't know about you but I sometimes find private messages easy to miss. Hope all is well - and keep on broadcasting!
Ian. 

13/3/2022 5:12 pm  #13

Oh, OK.  I'll look at it soon when I have some time here.   Yes, it is easy to miss messages as you can't see you have one unless you sign in.  Normally I don't sign in unless I have something to say otherwise I just come to browse.  But when I look I'll reply, thanks for your suggestions, now you got me curious.

20/3/2022 12:27 am  #14

I have just been  listening to another great offering of "The Bing Crosby Show" from your wonderful Library of Sound (No35). This one being from the 8th June, 1956 where Bing is backed by Billy May as he sings the gently swinging "The Longest Walk". It was so great to hear for the first time another recording of our man backed by the glorious brass of Mr May. In the light of your delightful "MTV Unplugged"  remark in comparison to the parred down nature of these audience-free programmes, are you able to tell me if this  version was recorded especially for the show? Those Phillip Morris cigarette on air advertisements certainly take us all back to another time. Keep up the fantastic work, our Humble Host!

With regard to your shows, Archiefit - I've just sent you another private message. 

20/3/2022 2:17 am  #15

No, those songs heard in this show were all original Decca records Bing played.  Longest Walk was a Decca record recorded Nov. 1955 that Bing 1st played.   This show actually features all Decca records.  As Bing also plays his Decca records "All Through The Night" & "La Vie En Rose" the 1953 version he sings in French.   So this was unusual for a Bing show of this period to be made up of Bing Decca records instead of Buddy Cole radio recordings.  Yes, this was an exceptional show having just listened to it again myself. 
Thanks for calling my attention to it.  
By the way how'd you like my beautiful voice singing Bing's theme, Where The Blue of Night song at the start of the show?   Actually I always think I sound much better till I hear it played back then reality hits.   Guess I should stick to the showers.  But it's fun being Bing for a minute.

21/3/2022 4:49 am  #16

Now this did make me smile. I've been meaning for the past week to tell you that you initially had me fooled at your opening. I was scratching my head for a few seconds wondering which version of Bing's theme song this was. Truly. I then recognised the 1940's orchestration and quickly thought, why would he much later overlay a vocal to the same backing? It was only as you began to trail off and prepare to speak that the penny then dropped!

You can certainly carry a tune far more than yours truly who was banned from the school choir. I tell a lie, I didn't even make it past the audition stage. The kindly music teacher told me I had a nice a voice (I never have had) but was struggling to remember the tune. In other words … 

I'm currently enjoying as I type this, to the St Patrick's Day special of yours and you have introduced to me for the very first time, Bing's recording of "The Saint Patrick's Day Parade", which I thought so wonderfully reminiscent in style and tempo of his more famous "MacNamara's Band" . Also, so great to hear songs from that rare 1966 Irish television special. Was that ever issued on DVD?

Still with regard to the Billy May backed "Longest Walk" from your show No. 35 , why is it listed in the discographies as Buddy Cole performing backing duties for the November 1955 recording when it so clearly does sound like Billy May- or am I mixed up, again? 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (21/3/2022 4:50 am)

21/3/2022 9:40 am  #17

"Also, so great to hear songs from that rare 1966 Irish television special. Was that ever issued on DVD?"

The 1966 television special, A Little Bit of Irish - filmed entirely on location in and around Dublin - was released on DVD on the Varèse Sarabande label in 2006. You can also see it on YouTube. (It is app. 12 minutes shorter than the DVD release. I haven't watched this version, but I would imagine that the non-Bing items have been edited out...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__6hFHi66s

Last edited by jeremyrose (21/3/2022 9:43 am)

21/3/2022 8:20 pm  #18

Yes, there was a DVD and several years before that there was a CD release of the audio from the TV special.  That CD is called "A Little Bit of Irish".   As for Longest Walk, if you read the discography closely you see the Buddy Cole recordings come just before his Longest Walk Billy May Decca record.   I had to look carefully at that myself as it's not obvious.

The Sounds Like Radio podcast is located here for those wondering what we're talking about:
As for my singing Bing's theme (something I've done around the house for a long time), it is indeed John Scott Trotter leading the orchestra but this recording is from an album John Scott put out either in the late '50's or possibly the early '60's called "John Scott Trotter's Music Hall".   It featured all different popular songs of the time but it also included a nice new sounding stereo instrumental version of Bing's theme.  That's the instrumental I use to sing to, as it sounds just like the exact arrangement Trotter used when he played it on Bing's radio shows.   Thank you too for the complement, my Mom thinks I sound like Bing but when I listen I know better.  I try though.  When singing my biggest problem is not remembering the words, I'm always amazed at how singers in general and Bing himself could remember the words to all these songs.  I'm sure they must have had cue cards but it seems like it's all memorized.

Yes for that St. Patrick's Day Sounds Like Radio Special that's posted there for now (it's coming down in 2 weeks, as I don't like keeping holiday shows up long past the actual holiday)  the Irish song there that I had the same reaction to the first time I heard it was Bing singing, "My Girl's An Irish Girl".   Up until I first heard that Bing Irish Decca records CD I had never heard that song before and I really liked it as it had a personal meaning to me too.
I really appreciate your feedback and your questions I am always happy to answer.
Here is the J. S. Trotter album and here is the Bing Irish TV show CD:
https://archive.org/services/img/johnscotttrotter00trot/full/pct:300/0/default.jpg

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FbmUAAOSwSyBfiU3w%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Last edited by Archiefit (21/3/2022 8:21 pm)

23/3/2022 3:01 am  #19

jeremyrose wrote:

"Also, so great to hear songs from that rare 1966 Irish television special. Was that ever issued on DVD?"

The 1966 television special, A Little Bit of Irish - filmed entirely on location in and around Dublin - was released on DVD on the Varèse Sarabande label in 2006. You can also see it on YouTube. (It is app. 12 minutes shorter than the DVD release. I haven't watched this version, but I would imagine that the non-Bing items have been edited out...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__6hFHi66s

Thanks, Jeremy. I've now just ordered what will hopefully be this full version on a DVD (NSTC region) copy from the USA and off Ebay for quite a snip (unless customs and excise charges kick in, gulp!).

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (23/3/2022 3:02 am)

23/3/2022 3:58 am  #20

Archiefit wrote:

Yes, there was a DVD and several years before that there was a CD release of the audio from the TV special.  That CD is called "A Little Bit of Irish".   As for Longest Walk, if you read the discography closely you see the Buddy Cole recordings come just before his Longest Walk Billy May Decca record.   I had to look carefully at that myself as it's not obvious.

The Sounds Like Radio podcast is located here for those wondering what we're talking about:
As for my singing Bing's theme (something I've done around the house for a long time), it is indeed John Scott Trotter leading the orchestra but this recording is from an album John Scott put out either in the late '50's or possibly the early '60's called "John Scott Trotter's Music Hall".   It featured all different popular songs of the time but it also included a nice new sounding stereo instrumental version of Bing's theme.  That's the instrumental I use to sing to, as it sounds just like the exact arrangement Trotter used when he played it on Bing's radio shows.   Thank you too for the complement, my Mom thinks I sound like Bing but when I listen I know better.  I try though.  When singing my biggest problem is not remembering the words, I'm always amazed at how singers in general and Bing himself could remember the words to all these songs.  I'm sure they must have had cue cards but it seems like it's all memorized.

Yes for that St. Patrick's Day Sounds Like Radio Special that's posted there for now (it's coming down in 2 weeks, as I don't like keeping holiday shows up long past the actual holiday)  the Irish song there that I had the same reaction to the first time I heard it was Bing singing, "My Girl's An Irish Girl".   Up until I first heard that Bing Irish Decca records CD I had never heard that song before and I really liked it as it had a personal meaning to me too.
I really appreciate your feedback and your questions I am always happy to answer.
Here is the J. S. Trotter album and here is the Bing Irish TV show CD:
https://archive.org/services/img/johnscotttrotter00trot/full/pct:300/0/default.jpg

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FbmUAAOSwSyBfiU3w%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Seems like I just caught the emerald green show, then!

Sorry, Archiefit. I'm still struggling to see Billy may being credited for this one - even though it's so obviously sounds like him. I've also received yesterday FB Wiggins and Jim Reilly's "The Definitive Bing Crosby Discography" and it credits Buddy Cole as well for that recording's backing. I think Billy May must have snuck in when no one was watching because all I can hear is Billy May and not Buddy Cole. Either that or I need to book that twice now reminded free eye test and stop wearing my off the shelf reading spectacles. 

Thanks for the wonderful illustrations and information. I must get that John Scott Trotter Album (the stereo version, of course) you had me fooled with with Bing's theme, you clever man! As Phil Harris told BBC's late Barry Norman in his superb 1985 "Hollywood Greats" documentary profile of Bing, he sang around the house (all day in Bing's case), so there's something else you have in common with the great man. I'm siding with your mom! I loved all his other Irish songs, too on your show.

As for Bing memorising all the words, I have noticed on a few specials on YouTube (The Hollywood Palace comes to mind), he's often certainly looking "Dean Martin Style" just past the person he's singing with. Long time, forty year UK chat/talk show presenter Sir Michael Parkinson had Bing on his show at least three times during the 1970's and related during a 1995 repeat of one of them, that he found Bing very friendly and personable and the only gossip he could think about him was that they had to write out the words to White Christmas (of all things) on cue cards for his performance on the show.                                                                                        

However, I recently showed someone very dear to me (and not a particular fan), Bing's MASTERFUL performance and reading (better than his album version on "Hey Jude, Hey Bing") of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now", also from The Hollywood Palace (in 1968). If he was reading it (and it seems to me clear that he wasn't), then it doesn't at all show, moving them to just utter at its conclusion, "Fabulous!" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeKMjg9mcuI

Keep those shows coming, Archiefit.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (30/3/2022 2:56 am)

23/3/2022 3:53 pm  #21

I didn't get what you meant by the "emerald green show"?   What is that or were you referring to my Sounds Like Radio St Patty show?  

That's funny in my Timothy Morgereth Bing discography and radio show listings the songs recorded on Nov. 23, 1955 are completely skipped, this includes the recording date of Longest Walk.  He goes from Nov. 22 and skips to Dec. 13, '55.  So Longest Walk isn't even listed.   I've caught a few other mistakes in the Morgereth book before but this is another one.   After reading your response I took my own advice and took a closer look at another discography and it does list the "Buddy Cole Orchestra" as being the backup to Longest Walk.    So you're right, but this was not the typical organ Buddy Cole accompaniment this was his orch. recordings, maybe he was trying to sound like Billy May.   But yes, it was Buddy Cole.  He used to be in the John Scott Trotter orchestra so I guess he must have learned a few things about it.  I must have imagined I read Billy May.  Sorry about that.

I remember watching an Abbott & Costello Christmas show from the '50's and he and the cast were going to sing White Christmas and Bud made sure he had a paper with all the words written out and he said Irving will sue if we don't get this right.  So he made a point of reading from the paper the words correctly.  That may be the reason Bing wanted the words written out exactly to be sure he didn't veer from them.  

Thank you for the kind words, they're always appreciated.

Last edited by Archiefit (23/3/2022 4:06 pm)

23/3/2022 4:12 pm  #22

Archiefit wrote:

I didn't get what you meant by the "emerald green show"?   What is that or were you referring to my Sounds Like Radio St Patty show?  

That's funny in my Timothy Morgereth Bing discography and radio show listings the songs recorded on Nov. 23, 1955 are completely skipped, this includes the recording date of Longest Walk.  He goes from Nov. 22 and skips to Dec. 13, '55.  So Longest Walk isn't even listed.   I've caught a few other mistakes in the Morgereth book before but this is another one.   After reading your response I took my own advice and took a closer look at another discography and it does list the "Buddy Cole Orchestra" as being the backup to Longest Walk.    So you're right, but this was not the typical organ Buddy Cole accompaniment this was his orch. recordings, maybe he was trying to sound like Billy May.   But yes, it was Buddy Cole.  He used to be in the John Scott Trotter orchestra so I guess he must have learned a few things about it.

I must have imagined I read Billy May.  Sorry about that.

Sorry, Archiefit. I wasn't at all clear. I was referring to your lovely St Patrick's Day show, with Ireland sometimes being referred to as "The Emerald Isle".

I fully agree with you. Despite the listings, I'm still audibly convinced it's Billy May, lol! Thank you, our humble host but no apology necessary - I'm just so grateful to you for introducing me to the recording in the first place. I made it a priority to listen to that particular show because of what you'd previously mentioned about the holiday editions (quite understandably) being only available for a short while.

Keep broadcasting!!!

24/3/2022 1:13 am  #23

Ah Hah!  Now I know where I got the idea that "Longest Walk" was a Billy May song, I just re-listened to the Bing Show as heard in Vol. 35 of the Library of Sound editions and at the 3 minute mark Bing intro.s Longest Walk by saying it's a Billy May arrangement done by the Buddy Cole band.  
Hear it here:
So they were both equal co-horts.  Now I can close the books on the case of who done did the Longest Walk.  But I got to tell you I still like Jaye P. Morgan's version even better, her's was the original.   The arrangement Billy May uses in the Bing version is almost identical to Jaye P Morgan's original.  So maybe the real credit for the sound of this song goes to Jaye P's original.   I remember I have played Jaye's version at some time in the past, but not anytime recent.  I will definitely be playing it again in a future show as I've featured Jaye P. before both in Episode 39 and Epis. 56.   It's about time I featured her biggest song.

24/3/2022 1:39 am  #24

Ah! Right back at yah!
I was taking it for granted that you knew Bing has said Billy May but thought you had better information, so I thought I would not patronise our esteemed humble broadcaster with this. And I had forgotten that Bing had said Buddy Cole. My ears just pricked up when he said Billy May. Crikey, Archiefit - it's a good job we weren't responsible for that answer as the winning point for a pub/saloon bar quiz (if you have those in the states - in the UK they can be very competitive) and I think our defeated team mates would have quite rightly took us both outside and bore arms. Well at least you've now solved this entirely, bless you, Lol! As this was the first version I've ever heard, I'll look forward to the Jay P Morgan original when you air it. let me know when you do, kind sir. How's the latest show coming along?

24/3/2022 11:06 pm  #25

Look at the glass 1/2 full, as I think we were both 1/2 right, you said Buddy, I said Billy add it up we were both right.   Least that's the way I like to see it.   Always on the sunny side, that's me.
The latest Sounds Like Radio was Episode 92 (wow, that means since I started the podcast I've done 92 Music & Gildersleeve shows, hard to believe) hope you heard it as I featured a not usually heard Peggy Lee song, our weekly visit with a Bing Crosby song, my imitation of Crazy Gugenheim and a Frank Fontaine song, a Gale Storm (My Little Margie girl) song, a fantastic Sophie Tucker song from the album I've had since I was 4 and a short retro song from Al Jolson.   Next week's show is already "in the can" but I'll get to your requests after that.  

Yes, I'm a long time fan of Jaye P. Morgan a woman with a great sense of humor and a great voice.   She's one of my "go to" singers for the show.  

As for your DVD finds of Bing Crosby TV shows, good job on the search.  Some of those shows though are available now on Utube, High Tor is one I know is there and so is that live concert show and Bing's 50th Anniv. show, so you might save some money going to Utube.   Unfortunately I have no idea how to download their junk, but you can buy a hook-up do-hickey that you hook up to your computer and to a DVD recorder and you can record the shows yourself.    

Last edited by Archiefit (24/3/2022 11:08 pm)

Board footera