28/3/2019 5:53 am  #26

Re: BING magazine

I'm looking forward to it Malcolm.

06/7/2019 11:11 am  #27

The summer edition of BING magazine is being printed and should be available later this month. See www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING182.html

24/7/2019 4:33 am  #28

Mine arrived today - Tuesday - west coast USA.
Like the new print type especially the blue ‘headings’.

01/11/2019 12:49 pm  #29

The winter edition of BING magazine has been sent to the printers and will be available towards the end of November.
See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING183.html

04/3/2020 3:52 pm  #30

The spring issue of BING magazine has been sent to the printers and will be out later this month. 
See http://bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING184.html

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (06/3/2020 6:40 am)

08/3/2020 12:38 pm  #31

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

The spring issue of BING magazine has been sent to the printers and will be out later this month. 
See http://bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING184.html

I am a little surprised that no one has commented on a couple of items that Malcolm has mentioned  at this link to his introduction to the next issue of "Bing".

He says firstly  "I wonder whether it would be a commercial proposition for Decca to give the London Symphony Orchestra treatment to Bing’s hits of the 40s and 50s.  It would certainly be interesting.
An interesting idea, surely. The "Bing At Christmas" album was able to rely and build on the known popularity of "White Christmas", but the success of that album must offer leverage to extend the range to the great hits, and if the same treatment could be applied to some of them, may there not be a winner?

Secondly Malcolm says "One of Bing’s radio series that has not been mined too extensively is Philco Radio Time and we have been working with Sepia Records to put together a 2-CD set of selected songs from the series. See Keeping Track for full details. An insert is enclosed with this issue for you to order it. You’ll be delighted with the quality."

Does that not open doors to expectation and speculation about what is in store? What could be included? Some songs titles not issued as studio recordings perhaps? Two or three or four (or more?) not previously on CD?. 
What is in everyone's wish basket and how might this set meet expectations?

09/3/2020 5:16 am  #32

Along with the full series of the Bing Crosby Show maybe a Bing Crosby Television Specials Volume Three would be nice. Of course you were speculating but I’d those over the Philco CD. I’d still like to see a Philco CD don’t get me wrong, but usually if I have the chance I’d rather sing Bing song than just hear him sing. Especially songs with a good beat a rhythm, he looks like he’s having so much fun when his whole body is bopping to the rhythm.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

09/3/2020 7:43 am  #33

Archiefit wrote:

- - Or how about if it's only CDs we can hope for, how about complete versions of Bing's  mid 1955 thru all of 1956 radio 15 min shows?   Aside from a handful that Bing internet will hit you with every so often out of the blue when it's too late to hear it from the beginning since they NEVER announce in advance their schedule.   I'd like an Mp3 CD set of all of these 15 min shows.  Now there's another Bing Dream release of mine.  

I think, Archiefit, that you'd find such a series very repetitive. The songs were used again and again from that "library" and almost all of them have been released in superb quality sound. What we have not got of them on CD (though many are on the internet), is Bing's almost philosophical comment on then current happenings, jocular introductions and verbal interplay with Rosemary Clooney. Even standard studio recordings popped up in some. On the other hand, some of the radio shows from the Philco / Chesterfield / GE series do have "unmined" material, and a great deal is very attractive.

10/3/2020 7:52 am  #34

Speaking personally, Archiefit, my interest in Bing centres on his singing voice and the songs, which I can hear and enjoy repeatedly. I suspect that most other fans would agree.
The other parts of radio shows are interesting but I doubt that many would think they are capable of sustained and repeated listening.
Producers of CDs have to consider potential sales and the main draw is undoubtedly the songs. Of those, from the sequence of shows you mention, we have the Mosaic set, and numbers of the songs not covered in that set have been covered as "bonuses" in subsequent issues from UMG/BCE.  There are not a great many untouched - I have not done a count but my impression is that the greater part have been covered in some way.

I agree with you that the non singing parts of the shows are interesting - they place things in an historical/current events context, but I can't imagine myself (or very many others) listening in a sustained basis, whereas music in general stands repetition: it swims around in your head and impacts on mood. You can hum along and it can remain with you for the rest of the day.  
I agree that not all the complete shows are on the internet, but significant numbers of the earlier sequence are.

10/3/2020 5:46 pm  #35

I love listening to the complete shows, but I agree with Richard that such a release would almost certainly not be a commercially viable proposition. With regard to the proposed Sepia/Philco compilation, I think it’s a great idea. I’ve got a complete run of the Philco shows either on CD or stored digitally and there really is a wealth of amazing material to choose from. The complete Philco Crosby/Jolson duets have already been issued by Sepia, but even a cursory glance at the relevant listings in Lionel Pairpoint’s “...And Here’s Bing!” radio listings show that - even apart from Bing’s solos - there’s an opportunity to hear duets with the likes of Peggy Lee, Groucho Marx, Judy Garland, Maurice Chevalier and the wonderful Beatrice Lillie. I hope it comes to fruition...

10/3/2020 6:28 pm  #36

It occurs to me, Archiefit, that the Crosby Internet Radio includes streams of those short shows in which you are interested, though they are intermixed with other items from KMH etc. What's more, they are in better quality than some of the other internet sources. I realise that there is a problem because you never know what is coming up in the schedule.
Right now I am listening to #46 - followed by #7

Have you tried it? https://bingcrosby.com/crosby-internet-radio

Last edited by Richard Baker (10/3/2020 6:45 pm)

10/3/2020 6:44 pm  #37

jeremyrose wrote:

I love listening to the complete shows, but I agree with Richard that such a release would almost certainly not be a commercially viable proposition. With regard to the proposed Sepia/Philco compilation, I think it’s a great idea. I’ve got a complete run of the Philco shows either on CD or stored digitally and there really is a wealth of amazing material to choose from. The complete Philco Crosby/Jolson duets have already been issued by Sepia, but even a cursory glance at the relevant listings in Lionel Pairpoint’s “...And Here’s Bing!” radio listings show that - even apart from Bing’s solos - there’s an opportunity to hear duets with the likes of Peggy Lee, Groucho Marx, Judy Garland, Maurice Chevalier and the wonderful Beatrice Lillie. I hope it comes to fruition...

Mmmm - But we must remember that some of the frequent guests have been on CDs. There are some of the less regular - Dick Powell - Rhonda Fleming, Dorothy Kirsten who might be welcome - then there are the "residents"  - Lina Romay, the Rhythmaires, Loulie Jean Norman - I wonder which of them might put in an appearance.
All my idle speculation of course.

Two CDs - say 70 minutes plus per CD - that's 140 minutes and that could be running close to 60 songs at the typical length of the radio show songs.

I wonder  - - 

10/3/2020 7:12 pm  #38

Point taken.. There are the Sunflower Records releases of the Peggy Lee duets, the last two volumes of the JSP 4-CD “The Vintage Years” set featuring Judy Garland and Jimmy Durante and the AVID 2-CD, “Bing Crosby and his Hollywood Guests” release. Still plenty to choose from, though..!

11/3/2020 2:53 pm  #39

An interesting discussion! I know about the CD's with Philco material already in circulation, I have all the Philco shows, and yes, I love listening to the complete shows as well. But nonetheless I welcome the CD Malcolm mentioned with great anticipation, while practically all the CD's the ICC and Sepia have been involved in have something extra, be it in original research or concept, in sound quality, or in information (booklets) about the recordings.

30/3/2020 3:27 pm  #40

To pick up on the mention of the new Philco Radio Time CD issue, for the benefit of those who are not ICC members and who have seen the full details in the recently circulated issue of "Bing", here is the full track list. - 

CD1
Oct. 16, 1946 - 1. Where the Blue of the Night intro 
Nov. 6, 1946 – 2. Five Minutes More 
Nov. 13, 1946 - 3. Timber - In the Evening by the Moonlight - You Are My Sunshine with Ezio Pinza*
Jan. 22, 1947 - 4. If You Were the Only Girl* / 5. La Borrachita with Lina Romay* / 6. I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons* 
Mar. 5, 1947 - 7. Anniversary Song with Al Jolson 
Mar. 12, 1947 - 8. Among My Souvenirs* 
April 30, 1947 - 9. Guilty* 
May 7, 1947 - 10. Country Style* / 11. Linda 
May 14, 1947 - 12. How Are Things in Glocca Morra?* 
May 28, 1947 - 13. Time after Time* 
Oct. 1, 1947 - 14. Medley - Mam’selle / Chi-Baba, Chi-Baba / Peg O’ My Heart* 
Oct. 8, 1947 - 15. Feudin’ and Fightin’ / 16. Medley - That’s My Desire / I Wonder, I Wonder / I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her* 
Oct. 15, 1947 - 17. Almost Like Being in Love 
Oct. 22, 1947 - 18. Sweet Betsy from Pike / Clementine with Burl Ives / 19. Just an Old Love of Mine* Nov. 5, 1947 - 20. You Do* 
Dec. 17, 1947 - 21. I Still Get Jealous* 
Jan. 21, 1948 - 22. With a Hey! And a Hi! And a Ho! Ho! Ho!* 
Jan. 28, 1948 - 23. The Best Things in Life Are Free 
Mar, 31, 1948 - 24. Medley with Dick Powell - I Only Have Eyes for You - With Plenty of Money and You (Dick Powell solo) - You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby - Jeepers Creepers* - Shuffle Off to Buffalo - Thanks a Million 
April 7, 1948 - 25. How Lucky You Are* 
April 14, 1948 - 26. Love Is So Terrific* 
April 21, 1948 - 27. Hooray for Love* 

CD2
April 28, 1948
- 1.May Be Wrong* 
May 5, 1948 - 2. Blue Shadows on the Trail* 
May 19, 1948 - 3. Baby Face* /4. Nature Boy* 
May 26, 1948 - 5. You’re Too Dangerous, Cherie*  
Sept. 29, 1948 - 6. My Happiness* / 7. A Tree in the Meadow*
Oct. 20, 1948 - 8. Rambling Rose* / 9. Something to Remember You By (with Marilyn Maxwell)*
Oct. 27, 1948 - 10. Hair of Gold, Eyes of Blue* 
Dec. 8, 1948 - 11. Cuanto Le Gusta* 
Jan . 5, 1949- 12. My Darling, My Darling* 
Jan. 19, 1949 - 13. Missouri Waltz* 
Feb. 9, 1949 - 14. I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm* 
Feb. 23, 1949 - 15. So in Love (with Peggy Lee) 
Mar. 2, 1949 - 16. Sunflower* 
Mar. 16, 1949 - 17. You Was (with Peggy Lee) 
April 6, 1949 - 18. Once in Love with Amy* / 19. While the Angelus Was Ringing* 
April 13, 1949 - 20. Down the Old Ox Road (with Peggy Lee and The Gonzaga Glee Club) 
April 20, 1949 - 21. Cruising Down the River* 
May 11, 1949 - 22. Riders in the Sky (with Perry Botkin, guitar and Izzy Rosenbaum string bass)* / 23. Blue Hawaii (with Peggy Lee and Alec Templeton piano)*  
May 18, 1949 - 24. Careless Hands* / 25. When Is Sometime? (with Rhonda Fleming)* 
May 25, 1949 - 26. Again (with Dorothy Kirsten)* 
June 1, 1949 - 27. Buttons and Bows* / 28. It’s Magic* / 29. So Dear To My Heart* / 30. I Got Lucky in the Rain (with Loulie Jean Norman)* / 31. Medley - Far Away Places - So Tired - Powder Your Face with Sunshine* / 32. Some Enchanted Evening - Farewell message*

* = First time on CD so far as I am aware. Whilst the remaining tracks have appeared on CDs many are no longer available.
The issue is on the Sepia label and should be available in a couple of months but in present extraordinary circumstances this might be the subject of some delays. Meantime, something to look forward to.

There is a heavy emphasis on songs that were hits from other artists.

Last edited by Richard Baker (31/3/2020 11:13 am)

31/3/2020 10:50 am  #41

Mine arrived this morning. Thank you!

01/4/2020 7:12 am  #42

Archiefit wrote:

I found one of the CDs I bought years back that also features Philco Radio Time song selections. 

There have indeed been numbers of CDs drawn from Philco (and other) radio shows. Some idea of them, many focussing on Bing with various duettists, can be found in the discography, here

The point is that the new projected issue attempts to pick up on previously unavailable recordings of some of the songs that became hits from other stars.

03/7/2020 4:52 pm  #43

Just to let you knw that the summer edition of BING magazine has been sent to the printers and will be available later this month. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING185.html

05/7/2020 10:36 am  #44

Thank you Malcolm. I'm looking forward to the new issue!

16/7/2020 2:10 am  #45

I'll say what frans said

18/7/2020 6:46 pm  #46

How! Magazine received today - Saturday. 18/7.

15/10/2020 6:36 am  #47

The winter edition of BING magazine is at the printers now.
See http://bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING186.html

15/10/2020 6:50 am  #48

Dear Malcolm,
Thanks very much for information.)))
I'm glad to hear that!)))

18/10/2020 5:33 pm  #49

Wonderful news, Malcolm. I'm looking forward to the new issue!
By the way: People who wonder, do we need a paper magazine in these times of internet and streaming, should note that Bing Magazine contains a lot of material that has never been published online.

29/10/2020 5:19 pm  #50

My new BING arrived here in western USA on Tuesday - maybe even Monday as I didn’t visit the P.O. that day.
Another nice colour production and photos I hadn’t seen before.
A UK friend hasn’t received theirs as yet - Thursday.
Strange happenings.

Board footera