25/10/2019 4:19 am  #1

Thoughts on new album ... ‘Bing At Christmas’ with the LSO

Generally speaking I am not overly fond of the concept of taking an original recording and altering it to have it nestled into some one else's arrangements or have a long dead vocalist or instrumentalist play along side someone living now.  They have done with this Elvis, Glenn Gould, Sinatra, and probably many others, and now Bing.  Kind of a gimmick if you ask me.

Here is the link to the upcoming album of Bing with the LSO   
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/classical-news/bing-crosby-bing-at-christmas/

But despite how I generally view these things, I will give this a chance when it comes out.  And if it wins over new fans for Bing Crosby, that's great too.

25/10/2019 11:40 am  #2

Re: Thoughts on new album ... ‘Bing At Christmas’ with the LSO

PeterC wrote:

Generally speaking I am not overly fond of the concept of taking an original recording and altering it to have it nestled into some one else's arrangements or have a long dead vocalist or instrumentalist play along side someone living now.  They have done with this Elvis, Glenn Gould, Sinatra, and probably many others, and now Bing.  Kind of a gimmick if you ask me.

Here is the link to the upcoming album of Bing with the LSO   
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/classical-news/bing-crosby-bing-at-christmas/

But despite how I generally view these things, I will give this a chance when it comes out.  And if it wins over new fans for Bing Crosby, that's great too.

I agree if there are a few more Bing fans because of this issue, that is a win. However, upon hearing the recordings - I am not impressed personally. Just my opinion.

27/3/2020 11:13 am  #3

I was bought this for Christmas and I enjoyed it. I am hoping they do this with some of Bing's non-Christmas recordings. The Christmas CD was a top 10 hit, but as we all know there is so much more to Bing than Christmas songs.

06/4/2020 4:03 pm  #4

I tend to agree that I prefer the original songs "as-is". I found this CD enjoyable but I'm not really convinced it was any sort of improvement. 

I think as far as opening up Bing's songs to newer generations - I find it fascinating that some online games use older "public domain" music and think this has led some to a rediscovery of older music. 

06/4/2020 4:38 pm  #5

The thing about the new versions is that the only discernible 'improvements' are in the older recordings, like Let It Snow or White Christmas. Even then the post-Decca recordings sound worse than the original. IT doesn't help that White Christmas, as using the 1942 version, could've been improved greatly, but they changed the arrangement too much for my liking.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Board footera