02/2/2019 7:58 pm  #1

Gene Krupa - The Last Round Up

I keep finding other bands or singers doing covers of Crosby songs!

Here is an early Gene Krupa track and he does the Bing hit "The Last Round Up". Gene Krupa and the Band recorded it on November 19, 1935...

13/2/2019 7:54 am  #2

Re: Gene Krupa - The Last Round Up

That's a bright arrangement, quite listenable, but how different from Bing's, which was released in Australia on the Columbia label in March 1934 and remained in the catalogue until 1955. During the 1930s, Joe Cahill took his travelling picture show to small towns which did not have their own cinemas.During interval he played Bings' recording of 'The last round-up'

13/2/2019 1:42 pm  #3

Graham Pascoe wrote:

That's a bright arrangement, quite listenable, but how different from Bing's, which was released in Australia on the Columbia label in March 1934 and remained in the catalogue until 1955. During the 1930s, Joe Cahill took his travelling picture show to small towns which did not have their own cinemas.During interval he played Bings' recording of 'The last round-up'

Yeah I surprised by Gene Krupa's recording of the song, but no version compares to Bing's version. I think it is one of Bing's best Brunswick sides.

16/2/2019 7:50 am  #4

There was a Joe Cahill the premier of New South Wales during the 1950's. There is the Cahill Expressway at Circukar Quay in Sydney and I met him in 1958 at Banff Springs Hotel.
No doubt a different Joe.

16/2/2019 7:53 am  #5

I saw Gene at the Sydney Stadium in the 1950's.
At that time many concerts there including Bob Hope, Judy Garland, Betty Hutton, Johnny Ray, Louis Armstrong and Gary Crosby, Frank Sinatra and many others.

Board footera