08/8/2014 1:01 am  #1

Remembering Bing

Just now I'm performing at the Roxy, Morton in our summer show. The Roxy Review.
I'm telling how I first met Bing 57 years ago in Seattle and also my wife Anita.
I have presented this story at Leeds.
Last w/e the dates are just a day out (I met Bing Friday 2nd. August 1957).
Also I sing 'Younger Than Springtime' to Anita. There has been hardly a dry eye in the house.
And, I have discovered that a young 15 year old (and her folks) are Bing fans. Sarah played 'Annie' a couple of years ago.
I'm going to pay for a year of BING magazine and hopefully the family will continue to subscribe to our worthy cause.
Our Roxy show was last Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. We have 2 more shows to do on Saturday and Sunday.
Oh, in the lobby they have some postcard size photos of a few stars - Gable, Brando, Grant so I've put the photo of Bing and myself (1975) with them.
Must take every opportunity to promote Bing.

08/8/2014 2:40 pm  #2

Re: Remembering Bing

Ron, It's heartening to know that you are so vigourous and successful in flying the flag and having such success with the youngsters.

24/8/2014 3:33 am  #3

Good on you Ron and Anita! Each week I attend a University of the Third Age (that is, a seniors group) session titled CLASSIC FILMS, this term presenting movies from the 1940s. A supply problem led the instructor to contact me and showed my DVD copy of GOING MY WAY. It was a great success and the class asked if they could see THE BELLS OF ST MARY'S next week, which I arranged. The instructor now wants me to show HIGH SOCIETY next term. 

24/8/2014 7:43 am  #4

Well done, Graham.

20/9/2014 7:55 pm  #5

This will do.
In 'The mission' restaurant (an ex church) and it was either Della Reese or Rose Murphy singing. Asked the waiter who it was and I told him if I didn't hear Bing Crosby I'm out of here. Next song Bing 'I'm Coming Virginia'. A little later on Bing with 'Dinah'. The young man said he liked Bing and has done for years. Told him about ICC. And magazines and had to get his address, which he gave me. So Michael we could have a new member. Probably in his 20's and name of  Philios.

21/9/2014 5:14 pm  #6

Well, I must say that I like Plymouth. Saturday night hearing Bing in the restaurant then today, Sunday walking along the waterfront there was a caravan that sold drinks and snacks. Lone and behold if our man wasn't singing "It Had To You'. I congratulated the young lass on her music. A couple of hours later walking past her van there was Bing singing 'Where The Blue Of The Night'. Once again I congratulated her. Asked about it and it was a compilation CD with artists. So, nice to hear Bing getting an airing.

08/10/2014 10:19 pm  #7

Just finished reading a book - Izzy's War - and Bing gets a mention.
"On a wireless somewhere Bing Crosby was singing "Wrap your troubles in dreams".

16/11/2014 7:07 am  #8

Just finished our second Veteran's Day concert.
Last year we did a Bing & Bob skit - different coloured socks, (they were 'dark' as Bing told Gary) golf club etc.
This year we did a skit supposedly January 1947. Once again I was Bing . Bob and we also had Dottie and Ken Carpenter. Later on we also had The Andrews Sisters.
It was well received and we had some veterans in attendance. also had 'The Sounds of Swing' Band.

01/12/2014 1:21 am  #9

In Las Vegas at the moment. Saturday I visited St.Anne's church where I believe Bing and Kathryn were married. However not sure if it is the exact same church as it looks newer.

13/12/2014 7:07 pm  #10

In today's "Chronicle" (Saturday-13th. Dec), on the history page, is the following snippet.
'Swing with Bing' at the Fox Theatre.
In 1936,  Bing Crosby's movie, "Pennies From Heaven", opened at the Centralia Fox Theatre. "Swing with Bing as he rolls down the open road with a guitar and a yen for a gal who done him wrong," the advertisement in The Centralia Daily Chronicle read.
"The Gayest, Grandest and Fun Show of the New Season."
By the way there is a local radio station that has Bing Crosby in concrete (like Graumann's in Los Angeles). Believe it is dated from about 1937. Tacoma is only about 35 miles away.

01/5/2015 5:25 am  #11

This will do. Just watched "Pure Hell of St. Trinians" and Cecil Parker reminded me a little like Bing in the 70's with long side leavers, hair line. Just a little.

14/12/2015 7:25 pm  #12

This site will do.
Go to www.bbc.co.uk and scroll and there is a story about Frank Sinatra - was he dangerous? Anyway, Bing receives a nice mention in the article.
Don't know how long it will stay there.

14/12/2015 7:27 pm  #13

That should be - BBC.com

14/12/2015 10:58 pm  #14

Ron Field wrote:

This site will do.
Go to www.bbc.co.uk and scroll and there is a story about Frank Sinatra - was he dangerous? Anyway, Bing receives a nice mention in the article.
Don't know how long it will stay there.

Ron I believe that this is the item that you are pointing to. This link should take you straight there. 

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20151214-frank-sinatra-at-100-was-ol-blue-eyes-really-dangerous

15/12/2015 6:10 am  #15

Thanks, Richard. Easily confused and I haven't even had a drink!

27/7/2017 4:32 pm  #16

Come 2nd. August it will be the 60th. Anniversary of having met Bing in Seattle. Bing was the Marshall for the 1957 Seattle Seafarers Carnival. Then I ran into him the following day (Saturday) waiting in a store doorway before the start of the parade. Then later that day I first met Anita on a Greyhound bus. I was travelling from Seattle to Kelso, the bus stopped in Tacoma and I jumped off to take a photo of the street. as Bing was born in Tacoma (the house is still there with a plaque on the step). Back into the depot and the bus had left. Caught up with it in Olympia and Anita was sitting in the seat I had occupied. She refused to move (told her my coat etc was above her) so I sat next to her.
Dangerous business sitting next to strange females (she was only 17 and me an old 23).
Later on I met Bob and then Larry.
A diamond jubilee.

27/7/2017 4:34 pm  #17

Oh, 10th. August will be our 14th. Wedding anniversary

27/7/2017 5:42 pm  #18

Congrats Ron and Anita, but is there a mistype here?

28/7/2017 3:13 am  #19

No mistype Richard.
In 1957 I kept on my merry way on a Greyhound Bus.
We corresponded now and again then Anita said she was getting married and could I write to her sister, which happened. Then Carol died and her Mum and I wrote to one another and as I was moving around the two Mum's started writing one another.
I married for 10 years living in England. Mum and I came to Canada for a Lake Louise get together and went visited Anita's parents, so the two Mum's finally met. A few years later Anita and her husband divorced and somehow or other we re-connected with her visiting Australia to do some research etc for her degrees.
Finally we got together and married in Morton 10th. August 2003.
Now I'm worn out with that dialogue.

02/8/2017 6:20 pm  #20

60 years ago today!

16/8/2017 6:01 am  #21

Ah Ron, it's 'Love on a Greyhound bus', a song from a movie NO LEAVE, NO LOVE, I believe. A recording of the song by The Dinning Sisters is on a CD I have, recorded in 1945 I think. I wonder if Bing sang it.

16/8/2017 6:33 am  #22

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Ah Ron, it's 'Love on a Greyhound bus',  - - - I wonder if Bing sang it.

No, but it appeared on Bing's first Philco broadcast, sung by Lina Romay, the then resident supporting artist, accompanied by JST, 16 October 1946.

06/10/2017 6:41 pm  #23

Just a week away from Bing's 40th. Anniversary of his passing.
As mentioned elsewhere on the 14th. At the Roxy Theatre, Morton, WA - 31 mile east of I5 heading east, we're showing Road to Bali.
Prior to that at 2.00pm we're showing Errol Flynn in Santa Fe Trail. Errol same date but in 1959 - can you believe it?
Have Bing's singalong CD for sale and will be playing same starting from about 1.30pm.
Come join us if you can.

06/10/2017 6:42 pm  #24

Morton is on State highway 12.
If you didn't notice it is east of I5

17/10/2017 6:28 pm  #25

20 punters turned up and sold 1 CD.
We are keeping the CD's for a few weeks and try and sell more. Perry is galavanting in Europe somewhere till end of month. Might be able to sell a couple more in Roxy Gallery shop or theatre.

Board footera