30/10/2016 10:11 am  #1

Song Travels with Michael Feinstein: Bing & Danny Kaye's 'Santa Claus'

I recently came across an interesting podcast series: Song Travels with Michael Feinstein. The 2015 holiday special 'Home for the holidays' contains the song 'Santa Claus', deleted from the film 'White Christmas'.

You can listen to it here:
http://www.npr.org/2015/12/04/457865068/song-travels-2015-holiday-spectacular

I've heard the song after it was discovered, a few years back. I haven't searched my files, but the song heard in Michael Feinstein's programme struck me as a different version. I should look up the recording in my collection, because I think that hardly could be possible. Probably my memory is playing tricks with me! Maybe someone here in the forum could shed some light on this?

Last edited by frans (30/10/2016 10:11 am)

30/10/2016 3:46 pm  #2

Re: Song Travels with Michael Feinstein: Bing & Danny Kaye's 'Santa Claus'

frans wrote:

- - - - but the song heard in Michael Feinstein's programme struck me as a different version. I should look up the recording in my collection, because I think that hardly could be possible. Probably my memory is playing tricks with me! Maybe someone here in the forum could shed some light on this?

Frans, I have compared the track played by Michael Feinstein with a copy that I have from CD7 of the Rosemary Clooney set "Come On-A My House" and can find no difference (apart from the fact that Michael has reduced the volume during the orchestral intro so that he can talk over it).

What are you comparing it with?

01/11/2016 2:16 pm  #3

Re: Song Travels with Michael Feinstein: Bing & Danny Kaye's 'Santa Claus'

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I did not compare; I thought, judging just from memory, that there was a difference. My own source is a cd with the track which was sent to be by a fellow collector. It just shows that one should be careful judging from memory when you're over sixty! :-)

Board footera