New members are ALWAYS welcomed. If you are having any problems signing up or logging into the board, please contact me at davidlobosco@yahoo.com.
THE "RENT" FOR THIS BOARD HAS NOW BEEN PAID THROUGH October 22, 2026.
Offline

For those in the UK or able to access BBC4, "Robin And The 7 Hoods" is to be shown on December 23rd.
No commercial breaks!
There has been some discussion on this board about other stars who might have taken roles in "White Christmas".
"Robin - - " was the film that Bing nearly didn't make. The role was intended for Peter Lawford. In other words it was going to be a full "Rat Pack" film, but Lawford upset Frank Sinatra and Bing was called in, for a re-written part (and songs).
Offline

I like that Bing got the role, but the whole "rat pack" mystique never impressed me. It just seemed like a bunch of hooey, baloney, malarkey, B.S. What did the little boy scolded by the teacher for saying "BS" in school tell her it meant, when she demanded? "Board shavings, Teacher," he said. (an old joke from the 1950s)
Offline

Steve Fay wrote:
- - - the whole "rat pack" mystique never impressed me. It just seemed like a bunch of hooey, baloney, malarkey, B.S. - -
I suspect that many would agree. I sometimes got the impression they were a bunch of overgrown schoolkids fooling around - just that cameras were present, though I have to say not so obviously in "Robin". But possibly Bing and Bob were doing the same thing in some of the Road films? (Challenging comment inviting counter comment?)
Offline
I love British actors but Peter Lawford is not in the same league. I love Dean Martin[without Jerry], Peter Falk, Sammy Davis Jr. I'm not crazy about Frankie[sorry Piason!]. Having said that, I am not crazy for them together in a movie.
Offline

Richard Baker wrote:
Steve Fay wrote:
- - - the whole "rat pack" mystique never impressed me. It just seemed like a bunch of hooey, baloney, malarkey, B.S. - -
I suspect that many would agree. I sometimes got the impression they were a bunch of overgrown schoolkids fooling around - just that cameras were present, though I have to say not so obviously in "Robin". But possibly Bing and Bob were doing the same thing in some of the Road films? (Challenging comment inviting counter comment?)
I think that Bing and Bob should be credited for presenting a finely honed brand of vaudeville, arguably an artform (even if that doesn't necessarily meet my wishes). I'm not sure something comparable can be said about the Rat Pack. Frank, Sammy, and Dean did there best work as solo singers--not in horsing around together as characatures of Vegas lounge lizards.