19/11/2010 6:59 pm  #1

Open invitation!

I hope to be getting the word out in the next few days, so that this discussion board framework can begin to take on some liveliness! 

Meanwhile any Bing Crosby fanatics who happen upon this place are encouraged to click the "Register" lin,  to mindfully agree to the discussion board rules, and to thence proceed with the easy process of becoming a member, customizing your interface, and beginning to contribute in posts and comments! 

Last edited by Admin (19/11/2010 7:32 pm)

Crosby fans are our favourite people!

19/11/2010 10:16 pm  #2

Re: Open invitation!

Anyone interested in Bing who happens to be in the vicinity off his hometown, Spokane, Washington, should try to get to the Bing Crosby Film Festival on Dec. 11. The Bing Crosby Theater will show films, have speakers and offer displays all day. A special feature will be a visit by Robert Bader, the curator of Bing's personal papers and other things. He'll show off some of the things he's found in Bing's basement. Find more information at bingcrosbytheateradvocates.com.

Congratulations on the new chat room.

Bill Stimson

19/11/2010 11:43 pm  #3

Bill, that's a great announcement!  It sounds like an amazing program.

Welcome to Crosby Fan World.  I look forward to your additional announcements and other posts!

21/11/2010 1:53 am  #4

This looks like a wonderful new board for Bing Crosby members. I hope it is successful. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. If I could publicize it on my blog, I'd like to as well.

Congrats!

21/11/2010 2:25 pm  #5

Hi Tomm y

Thanks for setting the board up.  I wish it every success as well.  2010 has been the best year for the Bing enthusiast ... and things seem to be getting better.

Cheers

Thane
Australia

21/11/2010 4:18 pm  #6

Hello,

A fellow member of the Bing Crosby Yahoo group alerted me to this new forum.  Thank you for starting a forum where opinions can be freely expressed in a civilized manner.

I'm the moderator and owner of the Bing Crosby Yahoo group, having rescued it several years ago after the original owner moved on. I'm also a moderator for the Annette Hanshaw Yahoo group, and recently started a Yahoo group for recordings engineered by the late Robert Parker. 

My primary Crosby interest is his musical recordings,, and there is something to like in every Crosby era.  During my younger years (born 1943), Bing was so ubiquitous on TV, the movies, and on record that it was easy to think of him as just part of the cultural furniture.  In the 1980s, I developed a strong interest in popular and jazz music of the 1920s and 1930s and discovered his contribution to that era.

I don't have the budget to become a completist - if that were even possible - but have a fairly complete (mainly CD) collection of his work up to 1938, and many recordings beyond that year.

What a person collects as a completist tells you something about that person.  Don't laugh, but my completist ambitions extend to the C&W singer Johnny Paycheck (active in 1960s to 1990s). Not so strange considering my upbringing near Nashville.  More conventionally, have completed collections for singer Annette Hanshaw (active 1926 - 1934), the Claude Thornhill Orchestra (early 40s to early 50s), and working on completing singers and Mildred Bailey, Johnny Hartman, and Lee Wiley. To make matters more confusing, during the past year became interested in a group that I had tried to ignore over the years - The Beatles. The recent reissue of their studio recordings in both mono and stereo formats sparked curiosity and then fandom.

Finally, I have a complete collection of CDs by Robert Parker, the Australian engineer (now deceased) who transferred 78s and processed them as "digital stereo."  He released several Bing Crosby titles among the 100-odd CDs he released during the 1980s through 2003.  I started a Yahoo group called robertparkerjazz and all are welcome to check it out.  I will become more active in postings if (and when) more members sign on.

I'm a lifelong hi-fi hobbyist and lover of high-fidelity music reproduction. But have learned to listen to and enjoy music from any source, even tinny acoustic transfers.

I've never met some of my best friends, having developed those friendships via internet.  However recently traveled to the UK and met one of them who lives in Newcastle.  I suspect many of the members of this forum may have similar lists of friends never met. Suppose this is the internet equivalent of pen pals.

Sorry for so much of the "I" word. It is hard to describe yourself without using it a lot.

Best regards,

Mike
"YahooBing"

Last edited by YahooBing (21/11/2010 4:29 pm)

22/11/2010 12:25 pm  #7

Greetings Tommy. I am the Editor of BING magazine published by the Interrnational Club Crosby (the longest running fan club in the world) and I wish this new board every success.

22/11/2010 12:35 pm  #8

Thanks to all offering good wishes and to those passing the word about this board. 

Mike (YahooBing), it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. It sounds like you have many interesting things to contribute.  I look forward to your future postings.

23/11/2010 8:19 pm  #9

I just received this site info from Malcolm Macfarlane and congrats Tom.

I already see some names I'm familiar with from Steve Lewis' old site.
Originally from Australia I am now living in Morton, Wa about 100 mile south of Seattle.
Talking of Seattle, I first met Bing there in 1957. I also met brothers Bob and Larry that same year.
I lived in Wembley and Reading in the UK and met Bing a couple of more times and spoke to him
on the phone. He even rang me at work one day in 1975.
Also in 1975 I caddied for Nathaniel at Turnberry, Scotland in a Pro-Am. The Pro in Nathaniel's group was Max Faulkner, who won The Open the only time it was held in Ireland (Northern). I had previously met Max at Calcot Park GC in Reading.
I was lucky to see Bing twice at the Palladium in 1976 - Opening night and another night. Then also in 1977 at the Opening and closing nights.
Since then I have met a number of the Crosby clan and hope to get to Spokane on the 11th. December.
In Australia I used to present a programme called "Mainly Bing" on Community Radio.

That's enough for now.

30/11/2010 5:35 am  #10

Malcolm Macfarlane has advised me of this site and I'm delighted to be part of it. I'm a 76-years old Aussie and have been a Bing fan for over 55 years. Some of my more memorable experiences have been attending Ken Twiss's 1983 Tribute in Tacoma and then visiting Gonzaga U, hosted by Fr Arthur Dussault, and the 2002 Hofstra conference. Inspired by Gary Giddin's Crosby biography, I wrote and self-published a (now out-of-print) book on Bing's contribution to Australian entertainment. Each week I present a two-hour session featuring popular music of the 1920s to 1950s on my town's community radio station and, needless to say, always include at least a couiple of Bing's songs.

21/12/2010 4:41 am  #11

I found this site through the "Bing Magazine" links page.  I have been a fan of Bing's for years, but only recently became a Bing "fanatic" after hearing a few tracks off a friend's "Chronological Bing Crosby" CDs.  That was all it took, especially after hearing some of the tracks from the late 1920's/early 1930's sounding so good.  Right now, it is my goal to obtain a complete "Chronological"/"Through The Years" collection. 

I am also pleasantly surprised by all of the material (both aural and visual) being released by Bing Crosby Enterprises, and I'm very much enjoying the Bing/Rosie duets CD, along with "Seasons" - just fantastic stuff.  I am so glad to be in an area of fellow Bing fans.

Best regards,

Zane

Zane Johnson

21/12/2010 8:38 am  #12

Zane

You're very welcome to the site. I hope you will find it of interest.

Richard Baker

31/12/2010 4:06 am  #13

Greetings from Vancouver Island on the West Coast of Canada. Thanks to Malcolm's kind email about this new forum I joined last week. Like Malcolm, I'm a retired Banker. Born in 1939 in nearby Vancouver, I have been a Bing Crosby fan since the age of 12. Some of my paper route money went to-wards buying Crosby records around this time.
     I now have a "Bing Room" with an extensive collection of things Bing. My collection has been featured twice in the local newspaper with a full page story with photos and once by a Victoria Television Station who did a 15 minute program called "Island Places Island Faces" The program is aired weekly and features Vancouver Island people who have interesting hobbies. They came to the house with a shoulder held camera and an interviewer. 
     I have attended a number of the Bing Crosby Historical Society banquets in Tacoma, Washington, Bing's Friends & Collectors Society banquets and of course Bing's Birth Centenary Celebration in May 2003, in Spokane.
     I noticed Graham Pascoe's message and I must say how much I enjoyed his book "Remembering Bing~Bing Crosby and Austrailian Entertainment". Of course I must also mention Malcolm's books, "Bing~Diary of A lifetime" and "Bing Crosby~Day By Day".
     My Best Wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all and for a successful new Bing Crosby Forum.  Ben Weaver, Nanaimo, B.C. Canada.

Board footera