26/8/2014 8:22 pm  #1

Bing Crosby: The Silver Screen Collection

24 films in this new collection available in December including some not often seen.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/from-universal-studios-home-entertainment-bing-crosby-the-silver-screen-collection-272728261.html

Plus "American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered",  described as  "A new feature-length PBS documentary on the life and career of Bing Crosby with new interviews, never-before-seen footage and photos by Emmy-winning director Robert Trachtenberg"

27/8/2014 1:44 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby: The Silver Screen Collection

Unfortunately in the States these all have been pretty much released.

I wish they would have added films like: The Big Broadcast (1932), Dixie (1943), and Mr. Music (1950).

27/8/2014 8:30 pm  #3

Presumably aimed at the 250,000 people who like the BCE Facebook page.

29/8/2014 9:50 pm  #4

I agree with you David.

Peace and Love! 

30/8/2014 12:48 am  #5

I didn't see the cost or did I miss it.

31/8/2014 7:44 am  #6

Ron Field wrote:

I didn't see the cost or did I miss it.

Ron, I don't think it has been stated yet.

I suspect that many true fans will have many of the titles in some form. Unless the price is really competitive I don't see myself getting it merely to fill in the gaps for the few titles of which I still have ancient VHS tapes.

I don't understand the logic of a large multi title set like this. Surely the main potential sales will be to existing fans - those same fans who already have many of the titles (and may be going through the process of replacing DVDs with Blu-Ray). And I certainly do not buy to have the convenience of so many titles in a single box. 

Many will already have duplications (Holiday Inn having been issued in good B&W only to be followed with the "colorized" version). 

But possibly, if just 1% of those 250,000 Facebook "likes" dip into their pockets it will be a hit!

07/9/2014 5:18 am  #7

Amazon is showing the pre-order price of $179.99 USD. I'd order it (or ask for it for Christmas as it comes out in November), but unfortunately I think I own all of the movies it contains. I second the sentiment of wishing they'd chosen to release some previoulys unavailable titles as well.

01/11/2016 8:02 pm  #8

I decided to "bump" this thread, as the price for this set is currently at $36.99 at Amazon.com for the entire set! I don't know if this is an error on Amazon's part, but for anyone thinking about purchasing this set, now appears to be as good of a time as any:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1S7O48/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by zanereed (01/11/2016 8:02 pm)

Zane Johnson

Board footera