15/3/2023 9:15 am  #1


Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

Does anyone know how he got Lillis as a middle name?

 

16/3/2023 2:18 am  #2


Re: Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

I found out what the name means and it fits Bing perfectly. It means, number 1, creative,unity,beginning,God, masculine,physical and mental activity,leadership, spotlight, individuality, friendly presence, reaches the top with things they are interested in. I guess he is a Lillis!

     •Thread Starter
 

16/3/2023 4:49 pm  #3


Re: Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

Harry Lowe Crosby

Harry Lillis Crosby Jr.

Harry Lillis Crosby III 

So what am I missing here. Bing was named after his Father and passed his name on to his son Harry, but everything I have found shows Lowe was his Father's middle name.


Or were they just going by H.L.C aspect?

 

 

17/3/2023 12:15 pm  #4


Re: Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

Interesting? I'll have to dig further...

 

19/3/2023 10:15 pm  #5


Re: Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

I know Lillis is really Lily. I don't see Bing as a flower. Ha!

     •Thread Starter
 

23/3/2023 2:21 pm  #6


Re: Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

Found the answer! 

At the bottom of page 30 in Gary Giddins  1st volume on Bing.

Bing's Father was disappointed he did not have a girl so his Mother named him after his Father.

However she chose Lillis as the middle name after a family friend in the neighborhood.

Both Bing and his Father continued to use the Sr. and Jr. designations.

 

Last edited by Benclink (23/3/2023 2:23 pm)

 

23/3/2023 11:16 pm  #7


Re: Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

Thanks Benclink! I read that book about 3 times, you'd think I would have remembered.

     •Thread Starter
 

Today 8:55 pm  #8


Re: Where did Bing's middle name Lillis come from?

Blonde56 wrote:

Thanks Benclink! I read that book about 3 times, you'd think I would have remembered.

Yes, I've read both Mr Giddin's books several times and it is amazing what you read the next time around and think, "That's new to me". Such wonderful detail. 

I have done another presentation and have left it with Jace to look over ready for next year. Without giving anything away yet, I had looked up all the various reference books we have to see how Bing became involved with a particular vocal/instrumental quartet. Although all the books gave good detail about the collaborations, Mr Giddins was the only one who gave insight as to how the association began. I had read the particular page several times previously but had no recollection of the information. In fact, I looked up Pocketful of Dreams last not expecting to find anything about the group as they aren't particularly significant in the overall career of Bing. What a nice surprise it was to rediscover the information that proved invaluable to my presentation. Stay tuned...next year, hopefully.
 

 

Board footera

Spread the word about CROSBY FAN WORLD http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com