New members are ALWAYS welcomed. If you are having any problems signing up or logging into the board, please contact me at davidlobosco@yahoo.com.
THE "RENT" FOR THIS BOARD HAS NOW BEEN PAID THROUGH October of 2027!
Offline
Hi everyone,
Since it's St. Patrick's Day today, I have published a brief article in my blog, The Vintage Bandstand, about the great Irish tenor John McCormack. I thought it might be of interest to people on this forum because McCormack was a favorite in the musically rich Crosby household when Bing was a kid. If you're interested in reading the article, you can access it by clicking on the following link:
I hope you like it, and I wish you all a great St. Patrick's Day! ![]()
Offline

Thank you Anton.
Bing recorded a number of the Irish songs recorded by John McCormack of course, and interesting contrasts they are. The Count with his full operatic tenor approach and Bing with his relaxed to the microphone rendering.
He appeared on KMH on 13 May 1937 and sang a couple of songs, but a duet was probably too much to expect given the contrast in styles.A CD of this was issued some years ago which included part of the show - A LITTLE BIT OF IRISH, on GOLDEN OLDEN, GORCD 101
Offline
Belatedly, I have seen your article on John McCormack, Anton. Thank you for that interesting information. McCormack had a big following in Australia but I suppose is now largely forgotten. Many years ago I recall seeing a TV special on Bing, narrated by a British announcer, who referred to Bing's revolution of popular singing with an inappropriate disaparaging comment on singers such as Al Jolson and John McCormack.