24/12/2010 10:26 am  #1

More on 'White Christmas'

A letter today in one of the leading national newspapers in the UK, the Daily Telegraph,  suggests that the sentiments behind the lyrics to 'White Christmas', having regard to the fact it was written in sunny California in wartime, were not meant to refer to snow at all but to purity, i.e. 'I'm dreaming of a pure Christmas' - or peaceful Christmas.

Interesting thought, but the letter writer obviously does not know about the dropped verse, rarely sung (though it does sometimes crop up)

The sun is shining, the grass is green,
The orange and palm trees sway.
There's never been such a day
in Beverly Hills, L.A.
But it's December the twenty-fourth,—
And I am longing to be up North

then of course the words with which we are all familiar

The introductory verse of many songs seems to be dropped more often than not, and to my mind at least this is a pity. They frequently help set the scene and go some way to establish a mood.

27/12/2010 2:44 pm  #2

Re: More on 'White Christmas'

While I generally agree with the last sentiment posted above, I think "White Christmas" is much better without the verse. I'm glad my uncle didn't record the verse on either the 1942 or 1947 versions. Howard Crosby

27/12/2010 3:43 pm  #3

Howard

May I extend a hearty welcome to a member of the family of the great man to whom this site is dedicated.

I look forward to anecdote and comment 'from the inside'.

Richard Baker

27/12/2010 4:27 pm  #4

Thanks, Richard. It's nice to see we have a new message board up and running. I was really missing the old one out of Kansas City. HC

28/12/2010 9:39 pm  #5

A version of 'White Christmas' was released this year in the UK on a Christmas album from the very talented and versatile band from Portland, Oregan, known as  Pink Martini.  Smooth though China Forbes' vocal is, the song in my view is less impactive for the inclusion of the verse.  The album on the whole, however, is to be recommended, not least for an innovative  rendition of 'We Three Kings'.

Devotee of 'the art that conceals art' which of course Bing epitomised.

Board footera