New members are ALWAYS welcomed. If you are having any problems signing up or logging into the board, please contact me at davidlobosco@yahoo.com.
THE "RENT" FOR THIS BOARD HAS NOW BEEN PAID THROUGH October 22, 2026.
Offline
Does anyone on the forum know what has happened to Jonathan Schwartz, who used to have a show on XM Radio's 40s on 4 every day around lunchtime called High Standards? I used to love listening to him on my lunch break, and he always spun some Crosby records and had nice things to say about Bing's music. Does anyone know why his show is off the air? Did something happen to him? Has the show been canceled? Has it been moved to a different time slot?
Last edited by Anton G.-F. (26/10/2013 4:43 pm)
Offline

Anton
Your answer here
Offline

He is the son of Arthur Schwartz, the famous composer (Dietz and Schwartz), and recorded quite a nice CD of his father's songs "Alone Together".
(Addition) - Which I now see from the liner notes was recorded as long ago as 1977 for LP, issued as a CD 1995. It includes versions of several songs covered by Bing.
Last edited by Richard Baker (27/10/2013 8:05 am)
Offline
Thanks for the link, Richard. I am very sorry to hear that Schwartz is retiring from Sirius XM Radio on account of his age because I really enjoyed his show, his soothing voice, and for the most part his song selection. Listening to it on my lunch break was one of the highlights of my day.
Even though it doesn't mention Bing, the article that Richard has posted here is very interesting, and it really is too bad that less and less music from the American Golden Age is played over the airwaves. It looks like someone needs to step up and carry the torch. When I was a graduate student in Nashville, I hosted a radio show where I played vintage country and vintage pop and jazz, and I often featured Bing's records. I wouldn't mind doing a similar show for XM Radio, playing music from the Golden Age, and I would even do it for free, but unfortunately, it must be quite difficult to get on the air there...