21/11/2010 11:57 am  #1

ON THE TEN-TEN FROM TENNESSEE

The song ON THE TEN-TEN FROM TENNESSEE came from the movie JUST FOR YOU(1952) which is an excellent movie, but I am always amazed that Bing was paired up with comedian Ben Lessy to sing it. Now I can see in the movie, but on the commercial recording Bing also sang it with Lessy. A lot of the other songs from the soundtrack Bing recorded with the Andrew Sisters. Why did he record this one with Ben Lessy? Did Bing owe him a favor? Were they friends?

http://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2010/11/on-ten-ten-from-tennessee.html

Here is what I managed to find out on BEN LESSY:

Ben Lessy (April 29, 1902 – October 30, 1992) was an American television and film actor. He was born in New York, New York, United States.

Lessy appeared in 32 films and television programs between 1951 and 1981. His first film was the black and white, 20 minute Cafe Rendezvous (1938) and his career ended with the Billy Wilder film Buddy Buddy (1981).

Lessy's film credits include Music for Millions (1944), The Pirate (1948), Gypsy (1962), It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963), and Pajama Party (1964), and The Love Machine (1971).

His television credits include Make Room for Daddy (1953-59), The Jack Benny Program (1959-64), That Girl (1966), Petticoat Junction (1967), The New Andy Griffith Show (1971), and McMillan & Wife (1976).

23/11/2010 8:25 pm  #2

Re: ON THE TEN-TEN FROM TENNESSEE

I have just made a CD for the receptionist at the dentist.
Her name is APRIL, so I have put the following on, by Bing - April Played The Fiddle; April Showers; plus April In Paris - Errol Garner; I'll Remember April - Errol Garner;
Plus several other Bing tracks ranging over the years - just to show her what a box full of songs Bing sang.
Don't even know if she is familiar with Bing, but she will be after this.

24/11/2010 12:20 am  #3

Ron,

Good to see your name again.

Why not Bing's versions of all the "April " songs? 

Aren't you happy with his versions of "I'll Remember April" and  "April In Portugal"?

P.S. Perhaps you need to ask "Admin" to open a special golfing thread?

Last edited by Richard Baker (24/11/2010 12:24 am)

24/11/2010 5:11 am  #4

Richard,  if you mean posts with a connection to Bing's golfing, "Biography" would be the category.  Member's golfing could go in "General Discussion: General Discussion."  I am prepared to subdivid any of the catergories for any major subtopics that might manifest themselves.

Crosby fans are our favourite people!

01/12/2010 7:43 pm  #5

Richard,
Most of my material is back in Australia, I only have a limited amount of stuff here in the U.S.,i.e. items bought over the past 2 years.
I do have a catalogue on my computer of all of Bing's songs that I have in my possession (actually all songs as I used them for my radio programme).
Must do a listing here.
I'll have more time now as I just converted from snail mail e-mail to the quick stuff so this is going to save me a lot of time.

06/12/2010 1:43 am  #6

Of course we all know Bing loved the many characters and actors that abounded in Hollywood, Broadway and at race tracks and sporting events.  Barney Dean and Joe Frisco come to mind.  I used to see Ben Lessy walking around Beverly Hills.  Benny was very short and to Bing, as a partner, that was probably a plus!
I remember in the 1970s I used to see so many celebrities out and about, like Sam Jaffe, Jack Lemmon, Billy Wilder, George Cukor, and others.  The comedians and writers you will always find at delis and restaurants. Some of the older writers still meet once a week to sharpen their wits over a good meal.
When I interviewed Johnny Grant some years ago, he had little to tell about getting the Ed Harrison role in "White Christmas."  Bing wanted him and that was that.  Johnny had no idea why, but that's how it happened.

Board footera