10/6/2013 3:10 am  #1

RIP: Bob Thompson

I'm surprised the death of Bob Thompson has not been reported on here yet. He arranged some of Bing's LPs in the late 1950s...

http://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2013/06/bob-thompson-bing-arranger-dies.html

10/6/2013 10:44 am  #2

Re: RIP: Bob Thompson

Lobosco wrote:

I'm surprised the death of Bob Thompson has not been reported on here yet. He arranged some of Bing's LPs in the late 1950s...

Why are you are surprised, David?  - it's very recent news - you are quick off the mark, and as yet the news seems to have been picked up only by The Los Angeles Times, which you quote. 

Thanks for drawing attention to it.
Bob was also one of those who jointly wrote "Moment in Madrid" recorded by Bing for the Holiday in Europe album.

Not too certain about the phrase "Thompson also arranged several albums for Rosemary Clooney and worked with Bing Crosby". A bit dismissive?

15/6/2013 4:59 pm  #3

David has his figertips on the pulse of Crosby-related news, Richard.

Clooney's collaboration with Thompson on her album "Clap Hands! Here Comes Rosie!" is kind of a landmark.  He also traveled with her and led the band on her tours.  I believe that Thompson and his wife attended Robert Kennedy's California Primary Victory Speech with Rosie, the one after which RFK was assissinated.  From her writing about it, the event would have been even more traumatic for her had the Thompsons not been there with her. 

I suspect a certain new book about Clooney will tell more about her work and friendship with Bob Thompson.  Also, I believe Greg Van Beek did an extensive radio interivew of Thompson several years ago.  Are you on this forum, Greg?  If not, I hope Greg will collaborate on a memorial article about Thompson for an upcoming issue of BING Magazine.

24/6/2013 5:37 am  #4

David, by 'arranged' did you mean Thompson wrote the arrangements for the songs? It seems to me that the arrangers of the popular recordings of the golden era of pop music are too often ignored. Those arrangements can add  to (or detract from)  the finished product immensely can't they. Of course, many of the arrangers were also bandleaders, musicians or composers, regardless, but they deserve more credit for their arrangments.

Board footera