28/1/2013 4:37 pm  #1

John Scott Trotter remembered by Alan Dell

References in another thread on this board to Geoff Milne reminded me that I had a recording of a BBC broadcast of Alan Dell's "Bing Band Sound"  from 3 November 1975. Prompted by the memory I have pulled it out to listen again.
John Scott Trotter had died days previously -  on 29 October 1975.  In the programme Alan Dell paid tribute to JST, playing a number of records, including "San Fernando Valley" and  "Swinging On A Star"  with Bing, but also of others from JST's days with Hal Kemp and some from JST's own album "I remember Hal Kemp" that had been issued just two years earlier.

Alan introduced recordings from an interview with JST that had been made in 1973 in London, in the office of Geoff Milne in Decca House. Geoff interjects several comments through the course of the interview. 

Both he and Alan Dell express surprise that JST claims never to have arranged for anyone other than himself and Hal Kemp, (you can almost hear the disbelief in their voices!) and to have had just three major jobs - with the Hal Kemp Orchestra, with Bing, and for George Gobel (The George Gobel Show, on US TV, from 1954 to 1960).  

Anyone with an interest in the big bands will remember the "trademark" sound of the Hal Kemp Orchestra, adopted when accompanying Skinnay Ennis, of the staccato triple tongued trumpets, said to have been introduced to fill the gaps caused by Ennis' s inability to hold a long note, and of which there were several examples played. The recording that probably is most familiar is ''Got A Date With An Angel''.

An unnecessary device for Bing.

Board footera