02/9/2012 3:01 pm  #1

Max Bygraves (1922-2012)

Not really Bing related but he was considered a "crooner" - British entertainer Max Bygraves died. My grandfather loved his records:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blogspot.com/2012/09/rip-max-bygraves_2.html

02/9/2012 3:51 pm  #2

Re: Max Bygraves (1922-2012)

Lobosco wrote:

Not really Bing related but he was considered a "crooner" - British entertainer Max Bygraves died. My grandfather loved his records:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blogspot.com/2012/09/rip-max-bygraves_2.html

Thank you for pointing this up David. Amongst the mass of material he recorded there were certainly some songs closely associated with Bing, though I'm sure there was no more direct connection. If his style was in any way influenced by Bing it was through several filters with an admixture of old London Music Hall.

Vastly popular in Britain at one time, but as a general entertainer who sang rather than a singer pure and simple, with many Sing-along albums issued originally arising out of his general popularity and then becoming almost self-perpetuating. Almost all his LPs (some reissued on CD) were titled with some variation of ''Sing-along-a-Max'' which gives a fair flavour of them. Typically there were four or five titles on each track extending to three minutes of so combined as a medley. I once saw  ''Conga-along-a-Max'', an illustration of which which I have now rediscovered.

03/9/2012 1:11 am  #3

My grandfather loved a song Max recorded with Kenny Ball called "Rosie" because my grandmother's name was Rose. He had it on a 45rpm, and when he died I got the great recording. Finally now I have it on CD. My grandparents did not have an once of English in them, but that song and Max Bygraves reminds me of them.

03/9/2012 5:11 pm  #4

Max was fond of Australia and many trips there before settling down there. Strangely enough I thought he had settle there, on the Gold Coast, about 20 years or more ago. Perhaps he was to-ing and fro-ing between Australia and England.
Max always talked about how friendly Australians were and how we shared things.
He talked of being at the beach. People swimming in the surf and bathing between the flags (for safety reasons - rips, tows etc).
Then a shark would be sighted and so they rang a bell to warn the swimmers to get out of the water. As Max put it, it was the turn of the sharks to have a swim. Then the sharks would go away and the people went back into the water after they rang the bell. Then some time later the bell may ring again, so out with the people to allow the sharks to swim again and so on.
I saw him once at St. George Leagues Club in suburban Sydney. He was a good easy going entertainer.

04/9/2012 12:21 pm  #5

I really have been playing "Things Ain't What They Used To Be" lately - a corny novelty song but catchy. A lot of people said he was corny - especially later in his career - but corniness is not always bad!

Board footera