17/7/2012 8:36 pm  #1

Perry Como's 1987 album "Today"

I found an LP copy of this album a few weeks ago and only got around to listening to it carefully this morning.  When I found it, what had struck me was that I had not realized that Como was still recording as late as 1987.  I was curious to learn how he might have sounded at that stage.

In listening to the album what I found most striking was not how well his voice had held up, although it had -- if a bit deeper, and slightly nasal in some passages -- but was rather how much the album reminded me of Bing's "Seasons" or other late-career work he recorded with Ken Barnes and Pete Moore providing assistance.  Not all the time, but momentarily in certain passages, elements of the instrumentation or arrangements reminded me slightly of those Barnes-Moore-Crosby collaborations.  Though Ken might have seen that Perry's voice came across more strongly, an objective he took very seriously in working with Bing.

As Como inherited more of Bing's relaxed manner than any other of Bing's crooning successors, it is impossible for me to listen to this album without constantly being aware of how well all of the song selections would have also suited Bing, perhaps even a very elderly Bing had he lived into the late 1980s.  There is even a Hawaiian-themed song on side two!  Here is a link to Wikipedia's page about this album, providing a cover image and the songlist: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today_(Perry_Como_album)  >.

It is noteworthy that this album was also released simultaneously in LP and CD formats.  This album page suggests that this was Como's second to last recording, citing his 1994 Christmas special in Ireland as his last; however, the main discography page <  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Como_discography#RCA_Victor_12.22   > says the Christmas special was recorded privately.  And "Yesterday and Today," a 1993 RCA boxed set album is actually a compilation of Como songs spanning 1943-87, not including material later than the "Today" album.  So it seems like "Today" was in fact Como's last album recorded to be an album, a further similarity to "Seasons," though of course it was not released posthumously, since Perry was around for some additional years.

Are other Crosby fans familiar with this album?  I would be interested in your thoughts about it, its songs, its production qualities, or other Crosby-Como parallels or contrasts.  Do please correct any errors or misperceptions on my part.

Last edited by Steve Fay (17/7/2012 8:43 pm)

17/7/2012 8:49 pm  #2

Re: Perry Como's 1987 album "Today"

I have repasted the link to the "Today" wikipedia listing by editing the above several times, but when I post the message the last part of the link doesn't stay as an active link.  All of what appears on the next line is the what the link should be, so you can copy and paste it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today_(Perry_Como_album)

Don't click on the above line if it looks like a link. When the part in parenthesis is not included, you go to the listing about ABC's Today television show.  The forum software doesn't seem to like parenthesis in internet links but that is how this link is made.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited by Steve Fay (17/7/2012 8:53 pm)

18/7/2012 10:52 pm  #3

Perry Como "Today"was one of the first Como CDs I had. I believe I bought it new. His voice was great and one of the best songs was "The Wind Beneath My Wings". His voice did not hold up as much as Bing's did, but Como still had it in 87.

24/7/2012 4:31 pm  #4

Thank you for bringing this up. I have been meaning to buy the LP version of this for awhile now and keep forgetting. I just copped sealed LP for $8 on ebay.

This was also one of my 1st Perry CD's and I bought it when released. I always enjoyed it even though it did show Perry's age slightly in his voice. It was great to see one of the "original" crooners make it from 78's all the way up to CD with new material. (Ella and Mr. S were others who accomplished this test of longevity). It is Perry's final studio recording. It stands up to the test and it is a very worthy and welcomed member of my collection.

His Irish Christmas concert is IMHO an embarrassment and I have difficulty viewing it. He did in fact break down somewhat during the concert and asked for the audience's indulgence as he left the stage. He called his wife back in Florida and said he didn't know if he could complete the taping. He said he just didn't have it in him. She (who was truly the wind beneath his wings) gave Perry  a pep talk and he regrouped and completed the taping.

Do all of you here know or remember that Perry recorded a great, long tribute medley to Bing on his 2nd "live" album? I believe it is simply titled "Perry Como Live in Concert". I met Perry twice during the tour that he sang this medley and saw him perform it live. Very moving and heartfelt.

As a post-note to "Today"...Perry fell in love with "Wind Beneath My Wings". He begged RCA to release it as a single. (This was 2 years before Bette Midler had the huge hit with her recording of the tune). RCA refused and Perry swore he would never record for RCA again.

Last edited by paulmock (24/7/2012 6:16 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

24/7/2012 5:00 pm  #5

paulmock wrote:

Do all of you here know or remember that Perry recorded a great, long tribute medley to Bing on his 2nd "live" album? I believe it is simply titled "Perry Como Live in Concert". I met Perry twice during the tour that he sang this medley and saw him perform it live. Very moving and heartfelt.

Paul, this one I think? (The rear of the sleeve). It included Blue Skies, But Beautiful, Dear Hearts and Gentle People, Sweet Leilani, Accent - chuate - - , Swinging On A Star, Pennies From Heaven, Too -Ra - Loo- Ra - - , White Christmas, and In The Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening.

I too like Perry's work though I was not too taken by some of the 'novelty' numbers that he recorded in the 1950s, and he did get much too relaxed in his later years for my taste.

Bing bounced along with the rhythm and caressed the melody. Frank tore into the music and reshaped it in his own image - he attacked the music aggressively, whilst Perry tried to put it and us to sleep.

Whilst on the subject of Perry, I'd remind all that Malcolm MacFarlane and Ken Crossland, present and past editors of ''Bing'', wrote ''Perry Como: A Biography and Complete Career Record''.

(and they are currently in the final stages of something similar for Rosemary Clooney, who was born 85 years ago next June).

24/7/2012 6:19 pm  #6

I was at the Irish Christmas concert and after a slightly disappointing first half there was what was supposed to be a short interval. It went on for an hour because Perry had decided that he couldn't go on. He was eventually persuaded to continue and he asked us to bear with him because he had a bad cold and couldn't hit the notes. What happened then was one of the great showbiz moments. He said that he'd try and sing "And I Love You So" again and we all held our breath as he reached the part where he had to hit a higher note. He managed it and the audience all cheered. Watch it on the video and you'll see what I mean. For the next 20 minutesx he turned the clock back and sang magnificently. Then he began to tire and the concert fizzled out. But that version of "And I Love You So" always brings a lump to my throat when I hear it.

25/7/2012 8:19 pm  #7

In addition to "Today," I think I have a Como greatest hits and a Christmas LP of his two...and some old 78s in the vein of "A-You're Adorable," but I think of my first impressions of Perry were from watching his TV show when I was in grade school.  A couple of years ago, I got an LP that collects two long medleys he and Bing did when they subsequently made guest appearances on each other's shows.  They sang quite well together and alternately, and seemed to have a great time doing it.

Last edited by Steve Fay (25/7/2012 8:21 pm)

25/7/2012 10:29 pm  #8

Steve,

Perry's two original Christmas LP's are among the finest male vocal Christmas albums IMHO. Yes! Christmas will always and forever be Mr. Crosby's but Perry's 1959 and 1968 LP's are wonderful companion-pieces full of warmth and holiday feeling.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

25/7/2012 10:36 pm  #9

Yes indeed, Richard! That is the LP I was referring to. The Crosby medley is really well-done.

Perry was very much "into" his work despite the casual appearance lots of hard work and preparation into his LP's and TV shows...unlike Dean who truly got away with murder walking thru his TV show and prepping for his recordings. I agree spot-on with your descriptions of the various vocalists' styles, but Perry was not one to dig-in to his material. He didn't just sing it either. He was somewhere in between. God bless him, it surely worked.   

I always loved Dean's comment on Perry..."I  often go over to his house to borrow a cup of sleep!"

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera