30/11/2010 5:08 pm  #1

Propagation of misleading information

If you go to Wikipedia and look up 'Do You Hear What I Hear?' you will see it stated as fact that it was recorded on the day of President John F. Kennedy's assassination.

For those with short memories I note that took place on 22 November 1963.

Now, apart from the fact that such a recording date is possibly a little late to catch the Christmas market, and organise any suitable pre sale publicity,  that Bing was busy filming Robin and The 7 Hoods on that day with Frank Sinatra, we have the Capitol recording logs which show -

BING CROSBY:
Bing Crosby(vo) with Ralph Carmichael Orchestra and Chorus.

(Session #11534) LA,October 21,1963

50737-1 Christmas dinner country style Cap.5088
50738-5 Do you hear what I hear? - STBB 2979,SM-11834

CD Cap.7-94701-2,7-97458-2

Both titles also issued on Cap.6276,T/ST 2176,Y2T-2405,(Eu)3C054-86009,CD Cap(J)TOCJ-5946.

All of this fits in nicely with the master numbers for 'Bing Sings The Great Country Hits' a few days later.

So don't believe everything you see. I suppose it is just possible that this might have been an issue date - but we have the authority of of Fred Reynolds, who states that the single with 'Christmas Dinner Country Style' was issued five days after recording - on 26 October 1963.

For those interested I will not touch the Wiki entry for a few days, but do intend to edit it unless someone else gets in first.

The entry was pointed out to me by John Rose of station WZZY (The Christmas Station), Winchester, IN

who intends a play of the song and mention of the error.

02/12/2010 5:00 pm  #2

Re: Propagation of misleading information

But who was the lady singer on "Christmas Dinner Country Style"?

02/12/2010 5:07 pm  #3

Yes, Malcolm, that does seem an omission from the "headline" in the recording log - I can only assume it is recorded in the supporting notes with other musicians, a copy of which I do not have. But we know the answer don't we?

03/12/2010 10:41 am  #4

Where would we be without Malcolm MacFarlane's fantastic work 'Bing Crosby – Day by Day' or the online version 'Bing – A Diary of a Lifetime'?

Nice to have confirmation, Greg, that it was lip-synched.

05/12/2010 9:30 pm  #5

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

But who was the lady singer on "Christmas Dinner Country Style"?

I tried finding out who was the female vocalist...it is probably one of the people from the chorus. However, doesn't it sound a little bit like Nannette Fabray? I am sure it is not though.

05/12/2010 11:26 pm  #6

Bing tells you! It's "Mother"! All the way through - and she cooked the beast too.

06/12/2010 8:46 am  #7

In fact it was Loulie Jean Norman (formerly one of the Rhythmaires). Martin McQuade discovered this in conversations with Ralph Carmichael (see BING magazine #153, Winter 2009) page 11.

06/12/2010 10:04 am  #8

Malcolm - I was building suspense - and you've ruined my punch line!

Never mind - Yes, as always, 'Bing' Magazine is an endless source of information. Those who don't subscribe don't know what they are missing.

Incidentally I came across a 'pirate' cassette very cheaply produced, some years ago, in a 'flea' market which said Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney.

I suppose to the (very) casual listener the voices might be mistaken, but another case of propagation of misleading information.

I have now edited the Wikipedia entry that prompted this thread.

Last edited by Richard Baker (06/12/2010 10:10 am)

06/12/2010 12:47 pm  #9

Sorry, Richard! I'll be more patient next time.

Board footera