14/5/2024 5:57 pm  #1

Dick Haymes - What CD's are "essential"

I know there are some Dick Haymes fans out there! I have listened to some of his stuff and found what I'm sure everyone back in the 40's did, great voice, and a very good singer.

So, the other day I was listening to his Capitol albums and some stuff he did after (the amazing power of streaming music!) and thought I'd like to add some of his stuff to my collection. There is a "Complete Capitol" set that seems a "must" and "Sepia" has "The Name is Haymes", which I would be interested in but looking to see what other CD's folks here feel would be worth considering. 

17/5/2024 11:06 am  #2

Re: Dick Haymes - What CD's are "essential"

I like his version of “It Might As Well Be Spring”., “Laura” and some others which I will have to check when I get back home as away for my brother’s 80th, the young whipper snipper.
Don’t know how he afforded all those alimony payments or did they stop when the ex re-married.
Enjoyed the movie ‘State Fair’ and of course the recordings with Bing and the Andrew Sisters.

21/5/2024 8:04 pm  #3

Ron1972 wrote:

I know there are some Dick Haymes fans out there! I have listened to some of his stuff and found what I'm sure everyone back in the 40's did, great voice, and a very good singer.

So, the other day I was listening to his Capitol albums and some stuff he did after (the amazing power of streaming music!) and thought I'd like to add some of his stuff to my collection. There is a "Complete Capitol" set that seems a "must" and "Sepia" has "The Name is Haymes", which I would be interested in but looking to see what other CD's folks here feel would be worth considering. 

Almost every Dick Haymes CD is worth it. If you are for the best of type of CD collection, I would recommend the CD collection on Jasmine. Anything is worthwhile. 

22/5/2024 8:17 pm  #4

I picked up "The Name's Haymes!" that Sepia put out. I had heard some of these recordings online and expected that the Sepia collection would offer better sound/remastering. It is excellent. 

The Capitol box set is on my list, I was able to stream that via YouTube Music. And I'm also looking "You'll Never Know - His 53 finest" which was released by retrospective-records. I will have to give the Jasmine CD a look!

23/5/2024 2:12 am  #5

Ron1972 wrote:

I picked up "The Name's Haymes!" that Sepia put out. I had heard some of these recordings online and expected that the Sepia collection would offer better sound/remastering. It is excellent. 

The Capitol box set is on my list, I was able to stream that via YouTube Music. And I'm also looking "You'll Never Know - His 53 finest" which was released by retrospective-records. I will have to give the Jasmine CD a look!

Hi Ron,
A couple of months ago I did a video for my you tube channel where I took a look at the Dick Haymes CDs in my collection. This might be of interest to you...

24/5/2024 11:38 am  #6

Thanks Dave! I'll check it out!

07/8/2024 2:31 pm  #7

I Always felt that Dick Haymes made his best recordings for Decca, although he made two excellent albums for Capitol the singles he made for them were forgettable songs because of the problems with his private life the music publishers were not exactly que up to present him with good songs 

07/8/2024 2:34 pm  #8

meant the music publishers were not exactly queuing up to present Haymes with best songs to record for singles.

Board footera