09/7/2023 12:46 am  #1

Two releases from Primary Wave and a release from RCA

I was checking Bing’s monthly listeners on Spotify and spotted 3 “new” releases. RCA released the How The West Was Won album in full, which is certainly nice to have on streaming, while Primary Wave released two compilations of love songs, made up entirely of songs from the Bing Crosby Archive series of releases. All three releases are 30+ songs so, while it is material Bing fans have had readily at their fingertips before, it is interesting to say the least.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

09/7/2023 2:12 am  #2

Re: Two releases from Primary Wave and a release from RCA

I noticed the new love songs compilation today, too. Is there really nothing new at all on it?

09/7/2023 2:24 am  #3

Nothing new at all, which explains the lack of announcement for its release. However it gives me hope that we will be getting a more substantial release next month, but we’ll see.

10/7/2023 1:56 pm  #4

I'm worried that Primal Wave is just through compilations together without any rhyme or reason. There is so much material that would be new to fans, but they keep throwing together the same type of material.

14/7/2023 2:58 pm  #5

I see that there are now five albums in the 'Bing Crosby sings and swings' series (I guess it is a series now). Three albums of 'Bing Crosby sings and swings love songs', another one 'sings and swings Hawaiian' and the fifth 'sings and swings latin'. Nothing new, as far as I could see. However, I am still hoping for something new - one day!

14/7/2023 3:51 pm  #6

Having said that (see post above), I noticed this Primary Wave album, released on Spotify on July 10th: 'Bing Crosby - Georgia on my mind'. Contents: 1 Georgia on my mind 2 Stars fell on Alabama 3 Way down yonder in New Orleans 4 She's the sunshine of Virginia 5 Crying for the carolines 6 Sleepy time down south 7 On the Alamo (Alternate version) 8 Alabamy bound 9 Where the morning glories grow 10 Carolina in the morning 11 Swanee 12 Sailing down the Chesapeake Bay 13 Bing's South Texas Quail Hunting Medley: Galway Bay / Mack the Knife / The surrey with the fringe on top 14 The yellow rose of Texas 15 Carolina in the morning (1956) 16 She's the sunshine of Virginia (1943) 17 Alabamy bound w Lindsay Crosby (Minute Maid show 1949) 18 When the midnight choo choo leaves for Alabam 19 Mississippi mud / I left my sugar standing in the rain w Harry Barris, Al Rinker (Chase and Sandborn show 1943) 20 Call of the south - w Gary Crosby (Take 1)

Last edited by frans (14/7/2023 3:52 pm)

14/7/2023 6:23 pm  #7

I wish they were putting more thought into these issues but it is better than nothing.

17/7/2023 3:34 am  #8

Now there's a "Latin" one which just looks to be "El Señor Bing" and associated bonus tracks, and a "Hawaiian" one that's the same using "Return to Paradise Islands."

My fear is that there's more incentive for Primary Wave to just repackage the same recordings, over and over, with different cover art to attract streaming listeners -- rather than release anything new from the vaults.

I still think the TV soundtracks are such an unmined treasurer. How about everything Nelson Riddle arranged for him on TV, for example?

17/7/2023 6:29 am  #9

I believe these compilations to be a hold over until the next release, as this last week we heard of a new Estate partnership for merchandise, no new audio but it’s nice to see, and most of these came out within a 3 day period. I believe this due to the amount of the material that we know has been remastered already and just awaiting release, these remasters ranging from live shows, radio, and private recordings. Keep in mind too that on Friday they released “Ol’ Man River” from Bing’s 1959 TV special as an official music video, maybe we can look forward to something with that next month? I’m very easily being over-hopeful, but it doesn’t seem the most out of the question. I think what we’ve been seeing so far is easily marketable and easily produced content that doesn’t go too far into the vault, maybe to save the vault exploration for a more substantial CD release? Hopefulness again I know, but they built up that Crosby Archives series for so long that it wouldn’t be the most out of question.

I’m just trying not to give up hope yet when most of the material on both the Irish Songbook and the Ella album were newly released or remastered material, those were two solid releases. Valentine From Bing and At the Movies were heavy rehashes, unless you had the Mosiac box, but the movies released had one newly released track that hasn’t been previously available to my knowledge, and one newly remastered General Electric track.

I sound like I’m trying to make excuses, which I partially am to keep my hope as much as possible, but I do think it’s realistic to see newly released sometime in the near future. Time will tell with whatever happens…

Board footera