04/4/2023 5:38 pm  #1

“Bing & Ella” - Seemingly New Release From Estate

The Bing Facebook account just posted a new profile picture and banner that’s in the style of an album cover of a Bing and Ella release digitally. More updates to follow I’m sure, and I’ll update as more becomes available.

I’m jumping the gun on this some as no release date is mentioned, however going by the track record of these profile picture changes, it seems only common sense.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

04/4/2023 6:16 pm  #2

Re: “Bing & Ella” - Seemingly New Release From Estate

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

The Bing Facebook account just posted a new profile picture and banner that’s in the style of an album cover of a Bing and Ella release digitally. More updates to follow I’m sure, and I’ll update as more becomes available.

I’m jumping the gun on this some as no release date is mentioned, however going by the track record of these profile picture changes, it seems only common sense.

I saw that this morning. I hope it's a good issue. Decca really messed up not getting the two to record together.

04/4/2023 6:26 pm  #3

It surprises me Decca never even had one of their performances mastered for commercial release!

04/4/2023 7:04 pm  #4

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

It surprises me Decca never even had one of their performances mastered for commercial release!

Decca was great for Bing, but they never knew what to do with Ella. It was a shame how wasted she was in the 1940s with them.

25/4/2023 4:33 am  #5

1. Basin Street Blues (November 9, 1949 Chesterfield Radio Show)
2. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (December 27, 1953 General Electric Radio Show)
3. Stay With The Happy People (May 3, 1950 Chesterfield Radio Show)
4. Way Back Home (with the Mills Brothers) (November 9, 1949 Chesterfield Radio Show)
5. A Dreamer’s Holiday (November 9, 1949 Chesterfield Radio Show)
6. Chicago Style (January 1, 1953 General Electric Radio Show)
7. That’s A-Plenty (February 14, 1954 General Electric Radio Show)
8. Memphis Blues (November 29, 1950 Chesterfield Radio Show)

There is the track listing up above, I like the release, all of the tracks sound the best that I’ve heard of them, even if two of them have little to no improvement to their last official issues.

25/4/2023 5:16 am  #6

That's variety of songs isn't it. I'm not familiar with 'Stay with the happy people'. Perhaps I'll find it on Youtube.

25/4/2023 7:51 am  #7

Thanks very much for the listing of the track details; very helpful. I just noticed that all the tracks are available on YouTube. Maybe not in the best possible sound quality, but anyway, they are available for everybody, whether you have access to (paid) streaming media or not.

25/4/2023 4:46 pm  #8

25/4/2023 5:04 pm  #9

The press release seems to indicate we will get more duet albums containing Bing’s radio recordings. I’m guessing some of the ones that may release could feature these artists specifically for one whole reason; Peggy Lee, Judy Garland, Louis Armstrong, and maybe Jimmy Durante and Al Jolson. Those last two, especially Al Jolson, are pushing it for a release by the estate, however I could easily see Peggy Lee and Louis Armstrong being chosen for their estates being able to cross promote, although a Louis Armstrong one may push it as there isn’t as much radio material, but they could always dig in to other avenues in which they performed together. A Judy Garland one has more than enough material to have this kind of album happen, and is a big enough draw for this kind of album, only issue is there doesn’t seem to be a big estate presence online, but there is plenty of fan presence.

25/4/2023 6:01 pm  #10

I have all of the Bing and Ella tracks but it is a nice group of songs. I wish they would issue them on CD, but the days of CD are over with - until they come back like the LP. 

I look forward to more issues though.

26/4/2023 12:15 am  #11

I think nearly all the songs sound fantastic - the quality of Bing's radio transcriptions in that era is really a gift.

My one quibble would be with the length; it's so short! Wonder if they could have licensed their Hollywood Palace and Carol Burnett appearances? And is this everything he and Ella recorded together on the radio?

A Judy Garland one would be great. I hope they'd include her solo performances when she filled in with Bing as a bonus.

26/4/2023 1:12 am  #12

It’s basically everything they did together on the radio, however there are a few Christmas duets, which I can understand why those weren’t included, and another version of Memphis Blues with Louis Armstrong. Then of course there’s the couple of TV performances together, but that’s just about it as far as performances together.

27/4/2023 2:42 am  #13

"Fancy Meeting You Here" and "Bing & Satchmo" make me dream of how wonderful a big Bing/Ella studio album arranged by Billy May or Nelson Riddle in that same period would have been. He'd already recorded for her label (Verve) after all, for the Bregman album.

Board footera