17/6/2011 11:45 am  #1

CD releases

Can someone please tell me what part of Bing's studio recordings haven't been released digitally or on CD?  Would it just be parts from the late 50's and 60's?

17/6/2011 6:21 pm  #2

Re: CD releases

bing1944 wrote:

Can someone please tell me what part of Bing's studio recordings haven't been released digitally or on CD?  Would it just be parts from the late 50's and 60's?

Hello 'bing1944' and welcome to this forum.

There are a surprising number of tracks not yet released on CD (or in other digital formats). I've done a very quick run through and this is by no means a thorough bit of research.  Many have indeed been issued but several quite some years ago and no longer available, and mainly 'non official'.
For the purposes of this reply I will ignore the issues of material that for some reason have been in very limited semi - private circulation on CD.   

I am not attempting a full title by title listing - others are very welcome to attempt this if they wish. There could also be a debate about the inclusion of some titles (whether they are true studio recordings intended for official commercial release).

If anyone notices errors, please correct me. The first few items in the list may be expected to be covered soon by the 'Through The Years' series.

L7934-1       We Meet Again
S2047       Blessing Of St Francis 

L8527-1       Angel Bells 
All the 'Christmas Sing With Bing Around The World' tracks apart from one. 9 in all

'A Christmas Story' - 6 tracks
'Never Be Afraid' tracks - 3 tracks
L10675       Trust Your Destiny To A Star

The Music Of Home
The New Ashmoleon Marching Society and Students Conservatory Band 
It's A Good Day
Aloha Means I Love You 

'On the Happy Side' singalong tracks

I'll include here the 'Reprise Repertory Theatre' titles (though officially issued on a complete Sinatra set)

Almost all the 'Longines' titles

The 'Longines' titles
'Hey Jude, Hey Bing' titles

Goldilocks TV recordings

Christmas Star
We Love Old St Mary's 
(Both these were 'private' recordings made for a charitable purpose but appear in all discographies and have had wide circulation) 

DL346       It's Not Where You Start (It's Where You Finish) 
DL347       Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree 

Tom Sawyer reading

Don't Get Around Much Anymore  (issued on a German CD)
Now You Has Jazz 
Sail Away From Norway

17/6/2011 7:11 pm  #3

Thanks so much for this Richard!  However, Hey Jude Hey Bing is now available on itunes so maybe more will be soon.

17/6/2011 10:05 pm  #4

I notice that I omitted 'A Time to Be Jolly' Christmas titles from 1970-71

17/6/2011 11:16 pm  #5

bing1944 wrote:

Thanks so much for this Richard!  However, Hey Jude Hey Bing is now available on itunes so maybe more will be soon.

It is indeed, but beware - look at the earlier thread on this topic http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=147

At the time of the postings the version on iTunes appeared to run slow and was in mono. It might have been corrected but was certainly not a good example and in it's then state was not to be recommended.

18/6/2011 12:01 pm  #6

Six of the songs from "A Christmas Sing with Bing" were on the CD "Bing Crosby - The Christmas Songs" issued by Vintage Jazz Classics VJC-1017-2 in 1990. The High Tor songs have not been issued on CD if we ignore the Harry Lillis series. Also "A Christmas Story" was issued on a CD by Drive Entertainment (PUR1214) in 2001. "We Meet Again" "Blessing of St. Francis" and "Angel Bells" will be on the next Sepia release.

Board footera