14/11/2022 4:43 pm  #1

Mel Brooks on Gary Giddins Volumes of Bing Crosby

Mel Brooks interview with the New York Times.

Here is the link to the entire interview: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/10/books/review/mel-brooks-by-the-book-interview.html

Below is the part that mentions Bing Crosby: What book would you most like to see turned into a movie or TV show that hasn’t already been adapted? I loved reading Gary Giddins’s two-volume biography of Bing Crosby, “A Pocketful of Dreams: The Early Years, 1903-1940” and “Swinging on a Star: The War Years, 1940-1946.” They are so good I even toyed with the idea of making a movie of them myself. There was only one major problem: Where do you find another Bing Crosby to play Bing Crosby?

14/11/2022 9:15 pm  #2

Re: Mel Brooks on Gary Giddins Volumes of Bing Crosby

Archiefit wrote:

I can think how I could do it.  Find an actor that looks like Bing, at least resembles him closely.  Then use real Bing Crosby recordings when the actor is "singing".   Like The Jolson Story. 

I don't think anyone even looks enough like Bing to do the role justice. Hollywood would just mess up Bing's story too.

14/11/2022 11:45 pm  #3

I thought that Kevin Spacey could be a contender.

16/11/2022 4:36 pm  #4

I do recall the 1983 TV movie about Grace Kelly. Actor Ben Piazza played Bing Crosby. The movie is listed on line. I recall his part was brief.

17/11/2022 2:38 am  #5

Ron Field wrote:

I thought that Kevin Spacey could be a contender.

Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin quite effectively in the movie Beyond The Sea, but I don't think anyone has come along that really captured a Bing Crosby look. 

17/11/2022 3:39 pm  #6

This was a funny episode.

17/11/2022 3:43 pm  #7

Archiefit wrote:

I wasn't thinking of a well known actor to play the role (as I can't think of any that looks like Bing either) but I'm sure if they did a look-alike search you could find someone that resembles Bing.  Look-alikes are a thing in Hollywood anyway.  I remember on The Phil Silvers Sgt. Bilko show there was an actor that looked a lot like Bing who Bilko found to imitate Bing.  That particular actor may be busy now but there must be others that resemble our hero.

I'm sure any actor from Sgt Bilko has long since passed away. I used to think actor Matthew Mcconaughey resembled Bing somewhat, but not sure now.

17/11/2022 3:46 pm  #8

If you google Ben Piazza as Bing Crosby you can find a side by side picture on-line.

He was also the dad in The Blues Brothers movie in the restaurant scene where they offer to buy his children.

Last edited by Benclink (17/11/2022 3:48 pm)

23/11/2022 5:14 am  #9

This year I've been recapturing some of my youth by watching Sgt Bilko on Youtube and was delighted to see the episode with Bing but can't remember whether I  saw it 'first time around'. Did Bing and Phil Silvers appear together on other TV shows?

24/11/2022 8:42 am  #10

Well with Avatar 2 about to be released and all the motion capture technology going on it would be possible to create a realistic Bing virtual reality wise but the problem I think is that Bing had an extraordinary career but an ordinary life (dramatically speaking unless you look at his relationship with Dixie and the boys). I wouldn’t like them dramatising his personal life and again dragging his name in the dirt for the sake of making money. I look forward to the 3rd volume of Gary Giddins book before I get too old to read it (and he gets too old to write it!!). 

Last edited by dgmprod (24/11/2022 8:42 am)

28/11/2022 9:14 pm  #11

What's the latest on Giddins Vol. 3? When was the last time we heard anything? I know there was some concern about whether the publisher would green-light it.

(Luckily for us, Giddins is only 74 years old - Robert Caro is still cranking away on his unfinished LBJ series at age 87!)

30/11/2022 5:17 pm  #12

tedn wrote:

What's the latest on Giddins Vol. 3? When was the last time we heard anything? I know there was some concern about whether the publisher would green-light it.

(Luckily for us, Giddins is only 74 years old - Robert Caro is still cranking away on his unfinished LBJ series at age 87!)

I haven't heard much on my end. I believe Gary gave an interview saying he was getting too old to complete it but the reasearch is all done. Would anyone else know?

30/11/2022 9:40 pm  #13

Lobosco wrote:

tedn wrote:

I haven't heard much on my end. I believe Gary gave an interview saying he was getting too old to complete it but the reasearch is all done. Would anyone else know?

The most I know is that he was waiting to see sales on Volume 2 with the research being done on volume 3, but I’m unsure. I hope he’s able to complete it.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

30/11/2022 11:57 pm  #14

I have a feeling (and it is only a feeling...) that if the third volume is ever to appear, it won't be authored by Gary Giddins. I understand that Gary enjoyed the full co-operation of the Crosby family and BCE when researching Vol. 3 and that, as previously mentioned in this thread, that research is complete. I have absolutely no idea how these things work in the publishing world, but assuming that Little,Brown & Co. own the rights to that research, would it be beyond the realms of possibility that, in the interests of Bing's legacy if nothing else, some sort of licensing arrangement could be made between the Crosby family, Mr Giddins and Little, Brown & Co., to commission a third-party author to complete the project? 

04/12/2022 3:06 am  #15

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

The most I know is that he was waiting to see sales on Volume 2 with the research being done on volume 3, but I’m unsure. I hope he’s able to complete it.

Giddins' Vol. 2 sold about 8,000 copies, according to The NPD Group (print and digital). Don't know enough about the publishing industry to judge whether that's enough to get a green light for Vol. 3, but here's hoping.

Board footera