19/9/2022 4:31 pm  #1

High Society

I had a lot of fun watching 1956's High Society again. I've seen this movie probably two dozen times, but it is nearly perfect in my opinion. It's one of those few movies when ALL of the songs were top notch and memorable in my opinion.

19/9/2022 5:51 pm  #2

Re: High Society

Archiefit wrote:

That is one of those great movies I don't see nearly often enough.  I'll bet it's been more that 15 years since the last time.  I really do have to get to it again.  Everything about that movie is perfect.

We named our daughter (well I picked the name) after Grace Kelly's character and the song "I Love You Samantha"

21/9/2022 10:33 pm  #3

I agree it’s a wonderful film and it works so much better as a musical compared to the play and original film The Philadelphia Story from 1940. Now we need this to finally be released on blu ray! I wonder why the hold up?

22/9/2022 2:18 am  #4

dgmprod wrote:

I agree it’s a wonderful film and it works so much better as a musical compared to the play and original film The Philadelphia Story from 1940. Now we need this to finally be released on blu ray! I wonder why the hold up?

I agree. It's a film that deserves the blu ray treatment!

29/9/2022 8:20 pm  #5

Oh gentleman, thank you!!!!!

Yes, I don't think I can think of another film starring Bing I have (so far) enjoyed more. I have many favourite moments from this one - but two stand out.

The first being Bing and Louis' "Now You Have Jazz" number. To see these two titans and founder members of twentieth century popular music duetting with such musicianship, warm affection, attractive polish, energy and sheer magnetism almost brings a lump to my throat and always tears to my eyes. Louis Armstrong's "All Stars" are so tight and jazz perfection personified. 

I remember seeing this film for the second time, aged fifteen on UK's BBC television one Sunday afternoon and my mother remarking during this routine that Bing was such a natural, he didn't seem to posses a nervous bone in his body.

I always respect Bing's comments (always self effacing) on his performance style. However, due to his laid back persona, he said didn't think he created "a mood" or much "electricity" during his performances ..  but oh, to have been able to have seated him in front of a cinema screen and shown him both this and my other favourite moment of the picture, his "Well Did You Evah?" duet with Sinatra - and then challenge him afterwards with, "Well, what do you call that, then???" 

Michael Parkinson did just about the same thing when once interviewing Bing in 1972 on his chat show. It was most enjoyable watching Bing's eyes as he quickly attempted to shift the praise to Cole Porter's music, after that wonderful pairing with Frank was shown. I think the untold joy in Sinatra's eyes that he's singing with the, "idol of his youth" as they sing the lines: 

"Have you heard it's in the stars 
Next July we collide with Mars ..."

speaks volumes of the fulsome fizz of the whole film.

Well, that's what I'd like to believe. 

Does anyone out there have their own favourite moments from the film? 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (29/9/2022 8:33 pm)

Board footera