30/6/2022 2:39 am  #1

Bing 's way of lighting a match

I love the way Bing lights a match with his thumb nail. Especially in "Rhythm on the River". So sexy! Did many men do that back then?  In other movies, I've seen men light a match on a wall and on a shoe but never with their thumb nail.

30/6/2022 2:43 am  #2

Re: Bing 's way of lighting a match

Blonde56 wrote:

I love the way Bing lights a match with his thumb nail. Especially in "Rhythm on the River". So sexy! Did many men do that back then? In other movies, I've seen men light a match on a wall and on a shoe but never with their thumb nail.

Since I don't smoke, I can barely light a match the regular way - let alone the great ways Bing did! LOL

30/6/2022 4:11 am  #3

I think you could light matches like that before "Safety matches" were invented.  I've tried it with modern matches and it only works if you strike against the rough material on the match box itself, fingernails and striking it across someone's seat pants don't.  Though lighting it on a slightly unshaved cheek worked everytime on the 3 Stooges.  Maybe I need to try that next.  Saw Rhythm on the RANGE this past weekend and BIng once again struck a match with his thumb.  Maybe he doused it with gas.  (Kidding.)

30/6/2022 5:54 am  #4

You guys are so funny! Thanks for making me laugh! I needed that. Love your sense of humor!

31/7/2022 5:07 am  #5

Another 'lighting' scene I liked in Rhythm on the River saw Bing mending a puncture in the tube just as my father did and I was fascinated as he ignited the patch (for which I can't recall the name).

Board footera