10/3/2022 2:41 pm  #1

Who is your favorite leading lady that Bing starred with in the 1930s?

Okay, this is the hardest poll by decade. Who is your favorite leading lady that Bing starred with in the 1930s? Make sure you vote!

Who is your favorite leading lady if the 1930s?

10/3/2022 2:45 pm  #2

Re: Who is your favorite leading lady that Bing starred with in the 1930s?

This is a hard choice - more than any other decade but I pick Mary Carlisle.

10/3/2022 5:23 pm  #3

Archiefit wrote:

I'd like to pick none of the above as I didn't think any of the ladies of the '30's stood out.   But I remember Marion Davies loose style and fun she seemed to have with Bing and he with her so I chose Marion.

I don't think that any of the leading ladies were as strong in the 1930s, but for chemistry - I feel Bing and Mary Carlisle had a lot of chemistry together.

11/3/2022 4:09 am  #4

Joan Bennett and Marion Davies I enjoy.

12/3/2022 7:41 pm  #5

Another hard choice (for me). You need to include the fimed 'shorts'.Patsey O'Leary (2) , Babe Kane (2)  & especially Mary Kornman in (2) shorts & ( 1 ) feature film (College Humor)  ? / Keep in mind that these light comedies gave Bing a visual image , vocalizing on song titles ( with GREAT IMAGES  that put him over the top in the early 1930s./ Should these films  be at least considered ?

12/3/2022 9:06 pm  #6

I've plumped unhesitatingly for Ethel Merman. I know that the film version of Anything Goes is - musically at least - a far cry from Cole Porter's original conception, but I think Bing and Ethel have a real on-screen rapport which has me grinning from ear-to-ear every time I see it. I only wish the movie could have a proper re-mastering/restoration along the lines of what happened with Going Hollywood a few years ago.

17/3/2022 4:19 pm  #7

Only four votes so far. Any other voters?

21/3/2022 8:10 pm  #8

Oh, Carole Lombard without a doubt. Watching her spirited sparring with Bing makes me want to have not only been in the film with the two of of them but wished I could have met and broken bread with this beautiful and funny lady, offscreen. I hear she was incredible fun and gathered far too soon. 

21/3/2022 8:12 pm  #9

jeremyrose wrote:

I've plumped unhesitatingly for Ethel Merman. I know that the film version of Anything Goes is - musically at least - a far cry from Cole Porter's original conception, but I think Bing and Ethel have a real on-screen rapport which has me grinning from ear-to-ear every time I see it. I only wish the movie could have a proper re-mastering/restoration along the lines of what happened with Going Hollywood a few years ago.

Yes, I almost voted for Ethel, too and I think pure performance wise, you win hands down, Jeremy. 

22/3/2022 3:47 pm  #10

I had a hard time picking a leading lady from the 1930s - Carole Lombard was probably the most talented of an actress, but in the end I went with Mary Carlisle.

22/3/2022 10:21 pm  #11

Lobosco wrote:

I had a hard time picking a leading lady from the 1930s - Carole Lombard was probably the most talented of an actress, but in the end I went with Mary Carlisle.

Yes, it's so difficult with that amount of talent to chose from. Mary Carlisle, David was perhaps the best one most romantically suited to Bing. Playful empathy and such a beautiful light comedic touch.

By the way, I am loving your beautifully observed film reviews in my newly acquired Winter 2021 and Spring 2022 issues of "Bing" magazine, having just joined the ICC. I am ashamed to admit (collected intakes of breath), I have yet to see … "Road to Utopia"! However your superbly conversational article has now made me determined to soon right this wrong. I was so interested to hear that the attacking, co-starring bear turned out to be a myth. Congratulations.

23/3/2022 1:06 am  #12

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

Yes, it's so difficult with that amount of talent to chose from. Mary Carlisle, David was perhaps the best one most romantically suited to Bing. Playful empathy and such a beautiful light comedic touch.

By the way, I am loving your beautifully observed film reviews in my newly acquired Winter 2021 and Spring 2022 issues of "Bing" magazine, having just joined the ICC. I am ashamed to admit (collected intakes of breath), I have yet to see … "Road to Utopia"! However your superbly conversational article has now made me determined to soon right this wrong. I was so interested to hear that the attacking, co-starring bear turned out to be a myth. Congratulations.

Thank you for your kinds words and glad you're enjoying the Bing magazine!

I had the opportunity to interview Mary Carlisle via phone in the 1990s. I didn't record the conversation but I took notes. I'll have to share some of her thoughts. She was a charming woman!

23/3/2022 1:13 am  #13

Oh how wonderful, David. That I would love to hear about. 

23/3/2022 4:29 pm  #14

Ian Kerstein wrote:

I had the opportunity to interview Marjorie Reynold's daughter Linda as well. Marjorie did not get along with Betty Hutton! It was interesting. There's a lot of behind the scenes stories that the movie audience were never privileged to know.

23/3/2022 5:11 pm  #15

Lobosco wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

I had the opportunity to interview Marjorie Reynold's daughter Linda as well. Marjorie did not get along with Betty Hutton! It was interesting. There's a lot of behind the scenes stories that the movie audience were never privileged to know.

This is all so tantalising, David. I so love hearing about the off stage/off camera goings on. So when you've the time.. lol! I've read in Peter Levinson's 2009 biography of Fred Astaire ("Puttin' on the Ritz", page 186), the late Nannette Fabray telling of a famous, albeit uncharacteristic on set outburst Astaire initiated while shooting a routine from "The Bandwagon". It led him to admonish her (for some alleged scene stealing) in front of everyone saying that, "I've put up with that with Betty Hutton. I'm never going to put up with it, again". I wonder how Bing got on with Miss Hutton in "Here Come the Waves"?

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (23/3/2022 5:15 pm)

23/3/2022 6:15 pm  #16

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

This is all so tantalising, David. I so love hearing about the off stage/off camera goings on. So when you've the time.. lol! I've read in Peter Levinson's 2009 biography of Fred Astaire ("Puttin' on the Ritz", page 186), the late Nannette Fabray telling of a famous, albeit uncharacteristic on set outburst Astaire initiated while shooting a routine from "The Bandwagon". It led him to admonish her (for some alleged scene stealing) in front of everyone saying that, "I've put up with that with Betty Hutton. I'm never going to put up with it, again". I wonder how Bing got on with Miss Hutton in "Here Come the Waves"?

I actually think Bing and Betty Hutton worked well while making the movie. In 1944, both stars were at the height of their popularity, and I think they had mutual respect for each other.

23/3/2022 6:26 pm  #17

Well that's good to hear, at least. I was beginning to wonder if Betty was providing on set world wars wherever she went. I saw the film many years ago at my late and much beloved maternal grandmother's home. Ironically, even though it was of her generation of entertainment, she soon tired of it and left me to thoroughly enjoy the rest on my own, as she prepared afternoon tea. 

24/3/2022 5:26 am  #18

MORE/ women in 1930s films/ Somehow, this question interests me.I like these films & these female leads.In addition to my previous post - these 3 performers could be noted- Even the young  Ida Lupino was good./ Screen stealing Martha Raye in (3) , always good,but not leading.The fine Shirley Ross was in (2).These performers (including the ones you noted ) were ALL great at what they did.I think Bing knew it, and respected more than good contributions for HIS films.Perhaps he got more pickier , with age after 1940-MORE control.The aging Bing also began to SHARE  a bit more,with top or equal status film 'stars'-something that happened after 1939../ 

28/3/2022 5:41 am  #19

I voted for Frances Farmer because of her beauty but i believe she didn.t have a long career. on the other hand, I believe Madge Evans's acting career lasted for decades.

31/3/2022 9:58 pm  #20

Graham Pascoe wrote:

I voted for Frances Farmer because of her beauty but i believe she didn.t have a long career. on the other hand, I believe Madge Evans's acting career lasted for decades.

Yes, she worked beautifully with Bing. She seemed to have a nicely grounded approach. Illness very sadly affected much of her career. 

Board footera